Charleston, SC (Read 556 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Where should I run if staying downtown?

Imminent Catastrophe

Up E Bay Street then across the Ravenel Bridge, It's the route of the Cooper River Bridge Run, one of the most popular 10k's in the South.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dog-Love

Long or short you can get some great views around the waterfront and through the streets where they film "The Patriot" then over the bridge for sure. 

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
        vegefrog

Check out some of my courses. I run downtown the majority of my runs. Doing a 20 miler today as a matter of fact.

The bridge is fun, but if you would love to avoid the hills you can park anywhere around the market/battery and follow the sidewalk along the seawall along the battery you can run all the way around past our baseball stadium, The Citadel and to my fave place to do laps, Hampton Park.

The pennisula is so small that you can't get too lost Smile

If ya want any more specifics I'll be happy to help!

BTW I saw the pics of Leah @ Monkey...looks like goooooooooood times!!!!!

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Check out some of my courses. I run downtown the majority of my runs. Doing a 20 miler today as a matter of fact.

The bridge is fun, but if you would love to avoid the hills you can park anywhere around the market/battery and follow the sidewalk along the seawall along the battery you can run all the way around past our baseball stadium, The Citadel and to my fave place to do laps, Hampton Park.

The pennisula is so small that you can't get too lost Smile

If ya want any more specifics I'll be happy to help!

BTW I saw the pics of Leah @ Monkey...looks like goooooooooood times!!!!!

Avoid the hills Confused

steph  

vegefrog

HA. Well the bridge is really the only place IN the tri-county area that counts as a hill. I usually try to include it, but it's easily avoidable!

My fave route, if you are staying downtown, would be to hit the sidewalk on East Bay street, run all the way to the bridge and over then keep following the sidewalk down Coleman Bvld. You will basically have a view of the water the entire run and you can run all the way to Sullivans Island this way, put your toes in the sand, then head back Smile

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Is the bridge runner-friendly when there is not a race?

vegefrog

The bridge has a 12 ft Pedestrian lane. You can run down East Bay street from downtown Charleston and you will merge right onto the bridge. There are water fountains on both the Charleston side and the Mt. P side. There are sidewalks lining pretty much all of downtown Charleston, and once you get over the bridge you can follow a sidewalk all the way to Sullivans Island OR run around the Waterfront Memorial park or down to the Yorktown.

cmb4314

I was in Charleston for a wedding about a week ago and ran across that bridge in both directions in the middle of an 18 mile run.

It is very pedestrian friendly - I passed a ton of other runners and walkers out there.  It was also crazy windy up there, but I suppose that depends somewhat on the day.   It was 40 degrees and pretty blustery when I was there -  I only had a short sleeved shirt, and couldn't feel my arms after running over the bridge.

I will say that I'm used to doing relatively hilly runs, so the bridge didn't phase me at the time, but the extended downhills ended up resulting in some pretty sore quads when the soreness set in the next day.

I also ran the other direction down East Bay, around the bottom of the peninsula, which was a nice area to run in too.  

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Nice!

Only had time for 6 miles. Maybe more tomorrow.

Thanks!

Feeling the growl again

I pretty much ran that route...and a little more east...a number of years ago.  It was a pleasant run that i don't recall well, but I don't recall thinking that running there was anything other than a nice run.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

vegefrog

Glad you enjoyed it! It's a beautiful city and running is one of the best ways to see it Smile

If you want a change, but still nice views tomorrow maybe run the opposite way on East Bay, down to the battery and around the pennisula. There is a sidewalk that will take you all the way past Lockwood Drive, under the bridges on that side of town and past the baseball stadium, Citadel and to Hampton Park Smile

Trent will you still be here this weekend? Saturday is our Reindeer 5K! Lots of beer afterwards @ Southend Brewery!!!

Imminent Catastrophe

Nice!

Only had time for 6 miles. Maybe more tomorrow.

Thanks!

So you turned back halfway. Quitter! Do it again tomorrow but this time finish the thing. Check out the nice view of Ft. Sumter. 

BTW Charleston is similar in many ways to Savannah but I much prefer Charleston because the bridge has a walkway, while the bridge in  Savannah does not. No pedestrians allowed on the Savannah bridge. Boos for Savannah. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Beer is good. But just here 24 hours or so. Will try to run one more time, perhaps sunrise over the bridge!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey