Chicago 26.2 (Read 1281 times)

Happy to see our RA friends are OK this morning. My wife woke me saying that Chicago Marathon was a mess and headline news this AM. The news is also reporting a DC 10 miler took a life just short of the finishline. A stark reminder to DRINK DRINK DRINK during a run!!!

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

A stark reminder to DRINK DRINK DRINK during a run!!!
      Drinking too much can be much more dangerous than drinking too little during a run--we don't even know what caused this poor guy's death. Modified to add: hyponatremia "Everyone knows about dehydration, and the answer to that used to be 'Drink, drink, drink, you can't overdrink,' " said Arthur Siegel, a researcher. Siegel examined the blood of Bellamy and Cynthia Lucero, who died of cerebral swelling caused by hyponatremia at the 2002 Boston Marathon. "Well, you can overdrink, and overhydration is more dangerous than under."

Runners run

Incredibly sad what happened yesterday in Chicago. I ran a 10K yesterday in the heat and thought I had it rough, but it must've been even more difficult for all athletes there. Kudos to anybody who braved that heat yesterday, you are all more tough than I am.

Another Passion

This was a race where finishing was victory in itself. For years to come, you'll be able to brag that you finished the 2007 Chicago "canceled" marathon -- and knowledgeable runners will respect that all on its own.
          Matt couldn't have put it any better than this with respect to this race. Derek and Matt, and all the rest that completed this race, are simply awesome in my book! Way to go guys and anyone else reading this post that finished this marathon. YOU ROCK! I'm saddened to hear there was a fatality though and a fellow Michigander at that. Sad

Rick
          "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
          "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
          runningforcassy.blogspot.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm saddened to hear there was a fatality though and a fellow Michigander at that. Sad
            And he's a cop, they just said on WGN radio. Sad Where in the state was he from? k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

You'll ruin your knees!

And he's a cop, they just said on WGN radio. Sad Where in the state was he from? k
              Midland, Michigan

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Imminent Catastrophe

There were two factors here: 1) Race organizers not prepared for the heat 2) Runners not prepared for the heat Plenty of races are run in these conditions. Honolulu is usually hot. Mumbai was hotter (92 °F and very humid). Neither race was the disaster of Chicago because both the race organization and the runners are prepared for the heat. I ran in Mumbai with a 75-year-old who lives in India and was ready for the heat and knows how to pace himself, and there was more than enough water and (nasty-tasting) electrolyte drink along the route. Another friend, a very fit 30-year-old, ended up hospitalized for hyponatremia. I only avoided it because I didn't want to depend on the race for electrolytes and had mixed a bottle of very concentrated electrolyte and some gel. Had I not had that, I probably would have (stupidly) avoided the nasty-tasting fluid that they provided and ended up in trouble as well. Like the ING Georgia race in March, the Chicago weather was unusually warm and there was not enough water and sportsdrink. In both those cases the race organizers were caught unprepared, despite the weather forecast. ING Georgia had the same problems, to a much lesser extent, as it wasn't quite so hot, but still there were a lot of dropouts due to heat, and missing water/gatorade. And the inexperienced runners who could do 15 or so miles in cool weather just couldn't handle the full distance in the heat. Since the ING Georgia debacle, I carry my own electrolyte, even though it can be a real PITA. I also keep an eye on the weather forecast and carry S-caps or gels, as necessary.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

One of my best friends ran the Army 10, and said they ran out of water and gatorade at miles ... 4 and 6, I think. No She was slightly dissapointed in her time, but I'm just glad she's okay!!
                  2009: BQ?
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Drinking too much can be much more dangerous than drinking too little during a run--we don't even know what caused this poor guy's death. Modified to add: hyponatremia "Everyone knows about dehydration, and the answer to that used to be 'Drink, drink, drink, you can't overdrink,' " said Arthur Siegel, a researcher. Siegel examined the blood of Bellamy and Cynthia Lucero, who died of cerebral swelling caused by hyponatremia at the 2002 Boston Marathon. "Well, you can overdrink, and overhydration is more dangerous than under."

Chicago and Hyponatremia, back in the news.

Oh, I thought this was a trishierunner sighting.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Oh, I thought this was a trishierunner sighting.

I was saddened by all the zeroes when I clicked on the link to her log.

E.J.
                        Greater Lowell Road Runners
                        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Carl A

Drink, drink, drink . . .

Peer pressure's a summer beach.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.