Is it easier to run 20M/week in 4 days, or 5 days? (Read 584 times)

Junior Amphibian

Or in other words, does human body better tolerate running 5M x 4 days a week, or 4M x 5 days a week? Or is it completely subjective?

"People ask why I run. I say, 'If you have to ask, you will never understand'. It is something only those select few know. Those who put themselves through pain, but know, deep down, how good it really feels." - Erin Leonard

JakeKnight

Define: easier. Feels easier? Less likely to lead to injury? Makes you faster and stronger? Two or three years ago, I would have answered 4 X per week. I would have said more time off was better. Now I think exactly the opposite. Now I think the human body adapts pretty amazingly, and it actually prefers to keep moving once it starts. 5 x per week is good. 6 is better. 7 is best. The only catch is that 4-5 of those days have to be truly easy. If you can't do easy, then take the days off. Your training looks perfect as it is, by the way. If you're thinking of adding a day, I'd just add the day and do 24-25 miles a week, keeping your longer runs. My couple of rubles. YMMV.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

It doesn't really matter. You are probably better off with 5 days than 4, but it's whatever you are used to. Better than running 4 or 5 miles every day, though, would be to split those up a little. Run 6 miles one day, and 3 miles the next. Give yourself a hard/easy split, hard being a longer run but still at your "easy" pace. Easy being a short run at easy pace.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

SMART Approach

My 2 cents. Totally agree with the above. I personally average 20-25 miles per week over 4 days. I have a toe issue from childhood accident that prevents me from running more than 4 days per week. Everytime I add the 5th day I pay for it. As Blaine mentioned, nice to mix up some days to break up the routine. Also agree it is better to run more often. Even a 2 mile run is of benefit. If you are doing the running for fitness or fun, then it probably doesn't matter but if you want to improve your 5K, 10K, half times and want to progress, then you need a couple longer runs and in time add in some quality. As an example, this is my my break up per week as I train for a half.... Day 1 3-5 miles easy w/ some hills or stair running but not killer Day 2 6-7 w/ some sustained slow tempo work or goal half marathon paced reps finishing w/ 4-6 X 100-200M quick (I adjust this a bit if training for 5Ks and do more critical velocity paced reps ~ 10K pace) Day 3 3-4 easy Day 4 8-10 (10 moreso when preparing for a half) and generally will add a bit of faster running (not too fast) throughout this run or a faster finish when I am feeling good. If I am not feeling good, I will run at easy pace throughout. This run generally is never the same and I count it as a quality day. For 5 days per week the below would make sense Day 1 3 easy Day 2 5-7 w/ some quality Day 3 2-3 easy Day 4 3 easy Day 5 8-9 easy and faster finish

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

milkbaby

I like to run 6 days a week because I want to get more miles in and I simply like to run. The only reason I take one day off is for psychological reasons as it gives me a "free" day to goof off. It's technically not free as I usually do strength training that day but no running. Once a person is used to running 20 miles a week, it is probably not a huge difference between doing 4 days or 5 days a week. I think if you like to have more free days then go for 4 days/week, but if you like to have running on your schedule more often then do 5 days/week. Sometimes it's more important to fit your running around the other things in your life rather than rearranging your life around your running.
            "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura