Loch Ness Marathon-the Director's Cut (Read 712 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

Thanks for the report, Russ! Beautiful countryside and scenery and as usual, you've added another one to my list of ones I want to run. I was going to ask earlier if there is a particular camera you use that is reasonably sweat proof - but just noticed that you mentioned you carry it in a pack.
    Mike, congrats again. The more races I do, the more I like the small ones. And I always loved the scenery in Big Bend Country. Did you see the Marfa Lights? Actually I do put the digicam in a small ziplock. I carried it at Crater Lake and even though it is very dry there and I didn't sweat much, the camera still got wet in my pack. The ziplock solved that problem.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Thanks for the info on the camera. I'm going to shop for one for my next race and will try your ziplock method. I'm with you on the smaller races. My favorite two races so far have been this one (65 runners) and El Scorcho (200 runners). While I may try to chase a BQ one day - I'm not sure about any of the other giant races. No, sadly, we didn't get to see the Marfa lights. That, along with the observatory in Ft. Davis, were both on the list, but everyone voted them down due to being too tired from the drive on Thursday and our adventures in Big Bend Park on Friday. I'm going to try to get Big Bend on the list of places for our scout troop to camp at next summer. The boys would love that area and I would love to try some rock climbing without worrying about injuring myself before a marathon.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Imminent Catastrophe

... I'm with you on the smaller races. My favorite two races so far have been this one (65 runners) and El Scorcho (200 runners). While I may try to chase a BQ one day - I'm not sure about any of the other giant races. ...
        Dang it! El Scorcho was on my list too but but by the time I had my July work schedule it was filled. I have two other giant races on my wish list, New York and Chicago (not so much after last week). I ran one with 17 runners last year and another with 27 this year, both of those were a blast! The other two giant races I've run, Honolulu and Marine Corps, were great experiences too, but I knew going in that there would be tradeoffs so I enjoyed them a lot. As long as you know what to expect the big races can be fun too. Still, I'm leaning toward smaller races and trail/ultras in 2008. Unless I BQ, of course!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016