How bad are shin splints? (Read 1324 times)

I went in to the weekend with a little soreness in my leg. I chalked it up to shin splints and did my weekend runs with no problem. A few hours after my Sunday long run (which went amazingly well) things started feeling much worse. Every step is really painful to the point of a pretty good limp when I walk. I guess my question is: Can shin splints hurt this much or am I more likely dealing with a stress fracture? I'll be heading to the doctor either way to have it checked out, just looking for some reassurance here this morning.

-------------------------------------
    5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
    10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
    1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
    Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

from my reading on the two problems, if it is quite localized, most likely a stress fracture...if it is broader, then "shin splints" or micro tears may be indicated. www.webmd.com is a pretty good place to read up....
      obiebyke

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Bugs

I am getting graston treatment for mine. Went in thinking it was just that but really both my lower legs were full of lesions. This is my 2nd doctor for graston, and this new doc is the best.

Bugs

The Terminator

This story will offer nothing to this thread, but I'm posting anyway. I had tremendous shin pain at one point last year (well, several months, actually). Even short runs were taking several days of recovery during which I would limp everywhere. I blame it completely on my brand new $100 specially-fitted stability running shoes. Before, I had just been running in whatever shoes looked athletic and were cheap. At the encouragement of my running friends and things I was reading, I realized I needed expensive running shoes properly fitted to my gait at a running specialty store. I chalked up the first twinges of pain to breaking the shoes in, but eventually had to purchase $30 worth of orthotics to relieve a minimal amount of the pain. I stubbornly kept wearing them because, after all, I had paid so much for the privilege. I blamed my mileage for the pain. After putting less than 100 miles on them, I gave up. I sent them along to Goodwill and paid $30 for a pair of running shoes at DSW. I have been fine ever since, and I will not make that mistake again.

"In the South, the cotillion of Machiavelli is played as a soft-shoe, in three-quarter time." - Pat Conroy

Think Whirled Peas

This story will offer nothing to this thread, but I'm posting anyway. I had tremendous shin pain at one point last year (well, several months, actually). Even short runs were taking several days of recovery during which I would limp everywhere. I blame it completely on my brand new $100 specially-fitted stability running shoes. Before, I had just been running in whatever shoes looked athletic and were cheap. At the encouragement of my running friends and things I was reading, I realized I needed expensive running shoes properly fitted to my gait at a running specialty store. I chalked up the first twinges of pain to breaking the shoes in, but eventually had to purchase $30 worth of orthotics to relieve a minimal amount of the pain. I stubbornly kept wearing them because, after all, I had paid so much for the privilege. I blamed my mileage for the pain. After putting less than 100 miles on them, I gave up. I sent them along to Goodwill and paid $30 for a pair of running shoes at DSW. I have been fine ever since, and I will not make that mistake again.
              Yeah, you have to fine the "right" shoe for you, and that shouldn't be measured by cost of the shoe. I know a few friends that can run in $40 shoes. It's really more about making sure you know what works for you. I think sometimes the message gets lost when someone hears "go to a running store and talk to an expert to get the right shoes". They don't have to cost a ton, but they should be fitted by someone who knows their stuff. FWIW, the running store I frequent evaluated my stride, had me on a tm, etc. Then the girl brought out about 10 pair of shoes based on what she saw. Prices ranged from about $50 up to $140. She said to just start trying them on and running on the tm until I found a pair that was comfortable. She never 'pushed' me into any brand or price range. If you feel like you're getting this kind of sales pressure, you may want to find another store. Also, from what I've learned so far, shoes should be comfortable as soon as you put them on and from step one, let alone mile one. They shouldn't need to be "broken in" in most cases. If they don't feel right when you first put 'em on, take 'em off and try a different pair. Just one n00b's opinion! Smile Q

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

I’m not sure if there are different severity levels of shin splits. I had them in both legs a while back and it was very painful. I not only couldn’t run for several months but for 2 weeks I couldn’t even walk up stairs.

Res firma mitescere nescit
                Running in Tampa

sdewan

2010 Goofy Trainee

A few hours after my Sunday long run (which went amazingly well) things started feeling much worse. Every step is really painful to the point of a pretty good limp when I walk. I guess my question is: Can shin splints hurt this much or am I more likely dealing with a stress fracture?
                  Two and half weeks ago I finally accepted that I had posterior shin splints. It was painful enough that I was limping at times when walking, but mostly the pain occurred while running. However, I did not want to miss my 12-mile long run, so I went out and started gallowalking. About halfway through the pain was getting intense so I tried applying an ankle brace which I had in my car and continued the run. The brace helped and I was able to finish without any additional pain. So being that the following week was an easy week in my schedule, I took then next 10 days off from running. I tried doing ellipticals, but even that hurt for the first week. The only exercise I could do without pain was the stationary bike. In addition to the rest, I took alleve after every exercise, and iced my shin every night. Around the middle of last week, the pain was much less and I did a very easy 3 mile run. On Saturday I did a more aggressive 4-mile run. Yesterday I gallowalked 14 miles with a shin splint brace. I'm happy to say that this morning I have absolutely no shin splint pain. So all in all, I'm happy to have only lost 2 weeks of training. But I find it interesting that your long run went amazingly well. I think sometimes endorphins can be our worst enemy. After they kick in, you feel good as long as you continue running, and maybe even push a little harder than you should. From my experience, pain after a long run doesn't usually show up until later in the day or the next day, and though it is hard, you need to hold yourself back during the long run even if it feels good at the time.

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream...

Wow, I haven't been on here in a few weeks and was surprised to see this topic still active! Anyway, after a bone scan, the issue was determined to be shin splints. Something fracture-like did show up, but the doctor determined that it wasn't enough to be considered a stress fracture. Regardless, the cure was the same: stay off it until it stops hurting. Yesterday was the first day that I could run a few steps without pain. Walking has been fine for 3 weeks. I'm planning to give it one more week (whats another if you've already missed 4?) for good measure, then I'll be hitting the road again. In answer to my own question: Yes, apparently shin splints can be pretty painful. For about 5 days, every step sent it shooting through my leg. Thanks to everyone who replied.

-------------------------------------
                    5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
                    10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
                    1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
                    Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

charlijo

new to website Shy. but ur shin splints caught my eye Black eye. i can no longer run because i have recurring shin splints Dead. i can get by with some "easy" walking Cry. just wanted to say..... it is painful and does suck but at least i'm still on my feet Cool