Snowshoes (hey, Q, you should watch this thread...heh)? (Read 913 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Zoomy, is that your Indian name under your pic? Heh Big grin
    Yep! Big grin Howie, interesting info. on the footwear. I had figured I could just wear my Gore-Tex trail shoes, but actual boots would be better? Good thing you said this...I have a pair of hiking boots that are nearly new and I rarely wear--I had considered selling them or donating to Goodwill, but now I think I will keep them.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

ya,hiking boots are good ,as long as you can keep your feet warm with a good wool sock is what counts .I use my old school backpackers for this ,having switched to light weight stuff for backpacking .If yours are not gortex(or it's old goretex) a light coat of waterproofing will do the trick .I like nixwax products for this. Your post has got me chomping at the bit to get out myself .But no snow here yet .I'm hosting 2 snowshoeing trips in Jan. one with my neices backpacking friends and one with my BoyScout troop.So your questions are helping me get back into instructor mindset agian ,thanks! How are your conditions out your way? any snow yet?
        If you're planning to run with them, get RUNNING snowshoes. I've run a couple of times in my mountaineering snowshoes and it totally sucks. Most. miserable. thing. ever. The Atlas Race snowshoes seem to be very popular amongst my snowshoe running friends. (I try to snowshoe as little as possible... skis were invented for a good reason). - Chris (in Colorado, where is snows a LOT)
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If you're planning to run with them, get RUNNING snowshoes.
          Yeah, that's one reason I haven't picked-up a set, yet. I don't want to tromp around, I'd want to move at a good pace and it looks like the ones designed for running would work better for that--but they are generally over $200, so I'm going to watch for late season sales. Howie, my hiking boots are a fairly heavy leather pair of Hi-Tecs. I think they may be a little big on me, since I bought them when I weighed quite a bit more and my feet have shrunk maybe a half size since then. So lots of room for a heavy pair or two of wool socks. I've heard good things about the Nixwax spray, so I'll definitely keep that in mind if/when I end up giving snowshoeing a try.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay