choosing a new smartphone (Read 1262 times)

I dunno, zoomy, the few times I walked into an Apple temple with device issues, I got an overwhelming we're-doing-you-a-favor-this-one-time vibe.

The DROID Bionic's had a few glitches during my buyer's remorse period. It refused to recharge at one point (could have been the otherwise operable car charger).  Plus, I'm pretty much Googled up.  They won't let me join Google+ because my  DOB is wrong in their records. Hm? If G+ is really that cool, I'd consider migrating to a new account.  From what I hear, though, few people really use it. 

Fun with toys and Internets.   

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

They won't let me join Google+ because my  DOB is wrong in their records. Hm? If G+ is really that cool, I'd consider migrating to a new account.  From what I hear, though, few people really use it.   

Huh, that's weird.  How can your DOB be "wrong"...?  I like G+.  I definitely prefer it to FB on many levels.  Unfortunately, it's pretty much a ghost-town.  I have maybe half a dozen friends who use it on a regular basis, but that's it.

Speaking of your car charger issues, a friend of ours had a similar problem with their Droid (not sure which model...I think maybe an X or a 2, since it was large and had a slide-out keyboard).  They tried several chargers...it wouldn't charge with any of them, so don't be too quick to blame the charger.  I'd have it looked at before you drop $$ on a new charger.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

the few times I walked into an Apple temple with device issues, I got an overwhelming we're-doing-you-a-favor-this-one-time vibe.

Not me.  Never had that vibe.

Feeling the growl again

I dunno, zoomy, the few times I walked into an Apple temple with device issues, I got an overwhelming we're-doing-you-a-favor-this-one-time vibe.

And if the phone won't work right because they put the antenna where your hand naturally grips the phone, it's your fault for holding it wrong.

Apple has such rabid brand loyalty they can get away with stuff that would be toxic to most others.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Huh, that's weird.  How can your DOB be "wrong"...?  I like G+.  I definitely prefer it to FB on many levels.  Unfortunately, it's pretty much a ghost-town.  I have maybe half a dozen friends who use it on a regular basis, but that's it.

Speaking of your car charger issues, a friend of ours had a similar problem with their Droid (not sure which model...I think maybe an X or a 2, since it was large and had a slide-out keyboard).  They tried several chargers...it wouldn't charge with any of them, so don't be too quick to blame the charger.  I'd have it looked at before you drop $$ on a new charger.

Maybe I never gave it to them when I signed up. Who knows.

Facebook has gone off the rails and is headed for the ravine.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Feeling the growl again

Facebook has gone off the rails and is headed for the ravine.

What, you don't like all of your "friends" to know when and where you took your latest bowel movement? 

Only a hardcore stalker or someone with absolutely no life would buy into FB's vision of what we look for on a social network.  I can't stand the newest rendition and disable everything I can.

Sorry, back to your regularly scheduled smartphone discussion.  Maybe I should blame my FB app for the mysterious 86MB of data that downloaded in a single afternoon..when I wasn't using my phone...and threw me over my limit this month.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

mikeymike

Not me.  Never had that vibe.

That's because they have a fanboy detector that alerts them when you walk in.

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Maybe I should blame my FB app for the mysterious 86MB of data that downloaded in a single afternoon..when I wasn't using my phone...and threw me over my limit this month.

Seriously, I went over my data this past cycle, too...and I can't figure out how in the hell that happened, since I rarely even come close to maxing-out and my usage in Oct. was no different than usual.  I'd really like to see an itemized bill that shows when I'm apparently going over.  That cost us an extra $15.  At this rate I might as well have the $30 plan.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Apple has such rabid brand loyalty they can get away with stuff that would be toxic to most others.

*shrugs* I'm generally an Apple fan, but didn't go Apple with my first smartphone...  Perhaps there's a reason I'm an Apple advocate.  I wanted to like the Droid.  And I really did, for the first 8-9 months.  I really don't think the problem is the OS, either, it's all the random phones on the market by a bunch of manufacturers pumping out a dozen or more phones every year.  It's appears from where I sit like they are spreading their efforts too thin.  Rather than working to get one device perfected they're pushing out a new model every month and for dozens of carriers.

~ Sarah Kay

mikeymike

I am grandfathered into the $30 unlimited data plan.  One reason I've resisted attempts by my company to move me onto the Corporate plan with AT&T.  That and the fact that I'm subsidizing my family share plan, and that AT&T's network is not good at things like, oh, making phone calls.

Runners run

xhristopher

Gotta love the unlimited data. I do. My son sucks down gigs of video as he's being driven around. That's actually more valuable to me than having the latest shiny phone.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My HTC/Android loathing continues to grow.  I was eventually able to update my phone fully to Gingerbread by doing a complete factory reset.  Since then my phone crashes an average of once/day.  Sometimes I can go days without a crash, other days it crashes 2-3 times, frequently as I drag the lock screen down, not even while actually using an app.  Another time it locked-up as the caller on the other end of the line hung-up.  Sometimes it restarts itself, but most of the time I have to remove and replace the battery.  I was really hoping to wait until after the holidays to have Verizon deal with this crap, but last night was sort of the final straw.

I plugged my phone in next to the bed, as I do every night.  I woke to a crashed phone.  This wouldn't be such a big deal, except for the fact that I use my phone as an alarm clock.  Thank jeebuz that today wasn't a school day.

I also find that Gingerbread runs WAY slower than Froyo and the graphical function of the phone is sort of...jerky, for lack of a better description.  It's just unreal to me how fast this thing went from working flawlessly to being the most dysfunctional piece of technology that I have ever had the misfortune of being saddled with for another 8 months.

~ Sarah Kay

I have an HTC Incredible S. I have Gingerbread. I don't have those issues. The carriers are the ones who push out the software updates unless you are on a pure Google phone. My phone is from Canada and the update was pushed by Bell. It could very well be the big V that messed up your phone. The thing about Android is that there are many phones available and there is no real oversight on what you (or the carrier) can put on the phone. They can put a new UI on it such as HTC Sense, for example. They can add all sorts of lovely apps. Apple is locked down. That said, I have a friend that had Apple problems after multiple upgrades to the operating system. It slowed his phone terribly.

My advice would be to look at the battery mAh. The bigger the number the better for battery life. Some phones let you replace the standard battery will an extended life one. This makes the phone larger. The biggest battery hog on the smartphone is generally the display. The smaller the display, the longer the phone will last. The less time you have the display on, the longer it will last. Other hogs include apps that access the internet continually like Facebook. These can be disabled and that will save a lot juice. GPS takes a lot of juice as well. Turn it off when you aren't using it.

Personally, if I were buying a smartphone for a non-technical type of person, I'd get an Apple because the user interface is a lot more polished than what goes on most of the Android phones (that I've seen). As for me, I went with a phone running Android. That probably has a lot to do with my day job. I've never owned a Blackberry nor used one, but I know that many times people go with them because their work email works well with Blackberry if that is a consideration. Also, Handy Runner works on Android not iPhone which might be something to consider as well.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have an HTC Incredible S. I have Gingerbread. I don't have those issues. The carriers are the ones who push out the software updates unless you are on a pure Google phone. My phone is from Canada and the update was pushed by Bell. It could very well be the big V that messed up your phone. The thing about Android is that there are many phones available and there is no real oversight on what you (or the carrier) can put on the phone. They can put a new UI on it such as HTC Sense, for example. They can add all sorts of lovely apps.

Verizon pushes the updates, but from everything I've read it's HTC that actually customizes the updates for each model of their phones.  Most of the chatter I've been reading suggests that the various bugs and issues are the result of HTC's errors.

The thing that really adds to the irritation is that I can no longer root the phone.  I could downgrade the OS, but it sounds like there is no guarantee that that procedure is not also without problems and no guarantee that the rooting would even work after going through that.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to get this resolved...I am SO loathe to deal with a cell phone store <1 week before Christmas, though *shudder*.  I'd love it if they'd simply swap it for a different non-HTC model and still allow me to do the usual upgrade in Aug., when I would otherwise be eligible.

~ Sarah Kay

Verizon pushes the updates, but from everything I've read it's HTC that actually customizes the updates for each model of their phones.  Most of the chatter I've been reading suggests that the various bugs and issues are the result of HTC's errors.

I have the HTC Incredible.  I upgraded to Gingerbread.  I don't have those problems so I'm guessing it isn't the phone.  My carrier is AT&T.

Good luck in dealing with the phone company.  It's a shame customer service often isn't their forte.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!