Pfitz 18/55 Plan (Read 810 times)

Anyone use the Pfitz 18/55 plan for their marathon training? I'm trying to get to the start of my first marathon healthy. I'm on week 13 And I'm feeling good. I'm curious to know how the plan worked out for others runners? How was your results.

bhearn

I used the old 24/55 plan (in the first edition of the book, removed from the second) for my first marathon. I ran a BQ.

I was not feeling good at week 13. I had a lot of issues, IT band being the biggest, but I found great people to get me through them.

If you get through the plan successfully completing 90% of the workouts, you will be in great shape going into your race.

I used the old 24/55 plan (in the first edition of the book, removed from the second) for my first marathon. I ran a BQ.

I was not feeling good at week 13. I had a lot of issues, IT band being the biggest, but I found great people to get me through them.

If you get through the plan successfully completing 90% of the workouts, you will be in great shape going into your race.

I had IT band issues last week. Luckily, I was able to take care of it and didn't have to miss a run. I like this plan since I feel like I'm on the verge of injury then I get a recovery day. I am concerned that before my taper I have 5-6 weeks without a recovery week. I need to hang in there for 2 1/2 more weeks until my taper. 

I've used Pfitz for all 7 of my marathons, from 18/55 to 18/90+ and all points in between (I've made custom versions adjusting the weekly totals but keeping the same workouts).  As bhearn observed, when I've made it through healthy, I've had good results including a BQ.  But I've probably had injuries about 1/3 of the time, some serious enough to cause me to miss the race. 

BTW, I don't blame Pfitz or the plans for any injuries -- that's all on me.  They're advertised as advanced plans, and I like to push the envelope in terms of mileage and intensity.  I'm happy with my Pfitz successes, and would't (and don't plan) to change.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

paulski66

miscreant

I used 18/55 for marathon #2, which was my first BQ.

Pfitz is hard and will kick your ass, but you'll be damn ready to run a marathon.

I'm happy, hope you're happy too...

I like this plan since I feel like I'm on the verge of injury then I get a recovery day.

That is what I feel like. I am on week 5 of 24/55. Last week my knees were a little on the edge. This week is a step down week, so I feel much better. The knees pain is gone. This morning I didn't feel a problem for the 9 miles run.

Do you have a goal time for your first marathon?

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

How long had you run before the plan? You achieved a BQ in your first marathon. That is very impressive.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

bhearn

I started running in January 2004, and ran my first marathon that October. I think I was very lucky, and also managed to do everything just about right. It took a long time before I was able to beat that first marathon time (3:12), and 8 years later, I've still only improved it by 14 minutes.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I used 18/55 for marathon #2, which was my first BQ.

Pfitz is hard and will kick your ass, but you'll be damn ready to run a marathon.

Sure hope so.  I'm on week 17.75 of his 18/70.

I've got a few aches in various places on my legs and feet, almost certainly due to the increased mileage (though I haven't ruled out one pair of shoes I had in my rotation), but I think I'll be fine for 26.2 more (well, 36.2 more, including tomorrow and Saturday's workouts).

I had big plans to keep up my strength training throughout the cycle, on the "rest/XT" day and on the Thursday recovery day.  Yeah, didn't happen, and I also suspect that might have had something to do with the aches, especially the one in my left knee.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

That is what I feel like. I am on week 5 of 24/55. Last week my knees were a little on the edge. This week is a step down week, so I feel much better. The knees pain is gone. This morning I didn't feel a problem for the 9 miles run.

Do you have a goal time for your first marathon?

The goal I tell everyone is 3:30 since this is my first. However, most calculators state i can run between 3:10-3:15. BQ for me is 3:15. It think I'm going to get close but still come up short of 3:15.

I had big plans to keep up my strength training throughout the cycle, on the "rest/XT" day and on the Thursday recovery day.  Yeah, didn't happen, and I also suspect that might have had something to do with the aches, especially the one in my left knee.

I gave up free weights about 6 weeks ago. However, I'm still doing core, lunges, pushup and rubberbands. I was hoping to lose a few pounds by giving up the free weights. However, the core, lunges, pushup and rubberbands are maintaining my muscle mass. I'm afraid to give them up at this point.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

However, I'm still doing core, lunges, pushup and rubberbands...[snip] I'm afraid to give them up at this point.

That's wise, IMO.  I think that will help keep you injury-free and improve muscle efficiency, which will counter-balance the extra weight.

See, I even slacked off on the core work and lunges, which I worry about more and more as race day looms.  Not that I'm afraid I won't be able to finish, just that I won't perform to my full potential.  Trying not to be too hard on myself, though...it was a pretty big bite, following a plan that includes such a higher mileage volume during the busiest time of the year for band directors (football/"marching" season).  Still, would it have really been that big of a deal for me to lay down and do a few crunches, maybe some side planks three or four times a week?

Anyway, hoping to do better for my spring marathon training cycle.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

[Competitive] Jerk

I attempted Pfitz 3x and got injured 3x but I'm with @Berner, I can only blame myself and my immaturity in running for not stopping and knowing what I can and cannot run through. I really only got injured twice the third time I stopped the plan 8 weeks in, reduced mileage adjusted the quality so I actually toed the line strong and healthy and had a breakthrough marathon PR.

I'm still following the same philosophies that Pfitz outlines, but I adjust it to my body/fitness but I figure I learned enough now to put the concepts to work on my own without a rigid plan.

I attempted Pfitz 3x and got injured 3x but I'm with @Berner, I can only blame myself and my immaturity in running for not stopping and knowing what I can and cannot run through. I really only got injured twice the third time I stopped the plan 8 weeks in, reduced mileage adjusted the quality so I actually toed the line strong and healthy and had a breakthrough marathon PR.

I'm still following the same philosophies that Pfitz outlines, but I adjust it to my body/fitness but I figure I learned enough now to put the concepts to work on my own without a rigid plan.

Greg, I just went through your log. Have you written your latest marathon report? I'd like to read it. 

[Competitive] Jerk

David - Yes, I actually have, it's over on Runner's World.