NYC Marathon 2012 (Read 2541 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I wasn't following the WMM (World Marathon Majors) standings, and when someone mentioned that NYC cancellation throws a monkey wrench into them, I googled to find an article on the standings:

Standings: http://worldmarathonmajors.com/US/

Analysis: http://worldmarathonmajors.com/US/news/346/

SummarySad2011-2012)

Men: Geoffrey Mutai has 2011-2012 wrapped up.

Women: Mary Keitany leads 65 to Edna Kiplagat 50 and Sharon Cherop 45, so if either of the latter wins the last Major, they win.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2012/11/mayor-michael-bloomberg-heres-what-you-could-have-done.html/

Spareribs

Nice.  Something like that had occurred to me.  NYRR could have mobilized to organize the participants as volunteers and made a PR coup out of it.

Seanv2

The page loaded for me, but was nothing but a photo -- not even a date for the race. So I closed it.

The Brooklyn Marathon is November 18th.  It is sold out but they're taking names for the waiting list which I imagine is now very, very long.

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

NYT: Costs of Canceling Marathon Are Uncounted but Immense

Interesting tidbits:

Adds of winning the NYCM lottery are only slightly worse than 2:1. (I thought it was much worse than that)

Avg Layout for Runner: $1,770

Generates $17.3 million in taxes, about two-thirds of which goes to the city.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Julia1971

I said I would check in after I finished and here I am.

I decided to participate in the "Run Anyway" effort and ran 26.2 miles in my hometown this morning.  (3:54 with lots of stoppages).  It was very emotional.  I thought about the people of New York and this whole controversy.  When I passed them, I thought about the 3 people on my running route that were killed/committed suicide this training cycle and the woman who was raped.  In between those thoughts, I thought about pace, fueling, what hurt pain and other runner stuff that comes along when you're running 26.2 miles.

But, the uplifting part was that I wrote "Run Anyway" and "I [heart] NY" on my shirt and three of my fellow runners acknowledged it - one guy gave me a huge smile and thumbs up, a woman yelled "You go!", and another guy ran out of his way to say, "I'm so pround of you.  Good luck!"  I was pretty much balling after that last one.

In lieu of volunteering (I've already seen one picture of all the volunteers that showed up at the Staten Island Ferry - Yeah, runners!), I took the money I would have spent this weekend in NYC and split donations between a local and an international charity that provide food and clothes to the homeless.  I thought since so much focus this week has been on New York, perhaps it would be good to give money that will go toward people who live in poverty every day.

So, that's my "race" report.  The champagne drinking will commence in about 3 hours.  Smile

Julia, I think that's awesome.  Enjoy the champagne!

Ojo

I decided to participate in the "Run Anyway" effort and ran 26.2 miles in my hometown this morning.  (3:54 with lots of stoppages).  It was very emotional.  I thought about the people of New York and this whole controversy.  When I passed them, I thought about the 3 people on my running route that were killed/committed suicide this training cycle and the woman who was raped.  In between those thoughts, I thought about pace, fueling, what hurt pain and other runner stuff that comes along when you're running 26.2 miles.

But, the uplifting part was that I wrote "Run Anyway" and "I [heart] NY" on my shirt and three of my fellow runners acknowledged it - one guy gave me a huge smile and thumbs up, a woman yelled "You go!", and another guy ran out of his way to say, "I'm so pround of you.  Good luck!"  I was pretty much balling after that last one.

In lieu of volunteering (I've already seen one picture of all the volunteers that showed up at the Staten Island Ferry - Yeah, runners!), I took the money I would have spent this weekend in NYC and split donations between a local and an international charity that provide food and clothes to the homeless.  I thought since so much focus this week has been on New York, perhaps it would be good to give money that will go toward people who live in poverty every day.

So, that's my "race" report.  The champagne drinking will commence in about 3 hours.  Smile

Love this! 

Sara

MM #2929

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Julia, you are a class act.  I'm glad you were able to embrace some really positive stuff, today.  Maybe this will end up being more memorable for you than had Sandy never hit and led to the subsequent canceling of the race.  As a single runner you still managed to run your race and do something positive for people in need in your community.  Nicely done.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

BeeRunB

I love that y'all got together and ran in the park. Nothing wrong with that. You sort of brought simplicity back to the NYC marathon. I do believe that's how the race first started way back before it became this huge, expensive, logistically complicated event. What y'all did was return to the spirit of running. Personally, I would rather do what you guys did today than the actual marathon. Sounds like a fine day in the park! Congrats on a fine time, and for turning lemons into lemonade. Cool 

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

jfa

Good going Julia.

I ran the Lehigh/ Deleware marathon by Allentown Pa on Sunday morning. Not a PR at 4:06 as hoped,( gravel trail) but it put a finish on my training plan anyway. There were about 200 of us that were scheduled for NY that ran up there. Only about 800 runners for both a half and a full.

Spareribs- there were many stories around here of marathoners helping those in need after the hurricane.

I'm still without power in my home by Belmar, NJ, but consider myself fortunate compared to so many others.

DukeDB

Looking forward to seeing 3000 of you with NYC 2012 shirts and Philadelphia 2012 bibs - and outrunning as many of you as I can!

Feeling the growl again

I love that y'all got together and ran in the park. Nothing wrong with that. You sort of brought simplicity back to the NYC marathon. I do believe that's how the race first started way back before it became this huge, expensive, logistically complicated event. What y'all did was return to the spirit of running. Personally, I would rather do what you guys did today than the actual marathon. Sounds like a fine day in the park! Congrats on a fine time, and for turning lemons into lemonade. Cool 

There was an article about all the Central Park runner preventing them from taking the generators to those in need.  IMHO it's a load of crap, if they wanted them out then NYPD would have parted the waters.  Either bad reporting or someone had an ax to grind with the runners/marathon.

Also, as much as all it takes is appearances to sway opinion, I read an interesting commentary from a runner friend of mine who also happens to be an electrical engineer who works in power distribution.  Those generators have no practical use in a residential setting, there is no practical way to hook them into the grid.  Unless everyone wanted to party under a tent in the middle of the street, they'd pretty much be decoration (you can't just plumb them into a building's wiring, for instance).

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

There was an article about all the Central Park runner preventing them from taking the generators to those in need.  IMHO it's a load of crap, if they wanted them out then NYPD would have parted the waters.  Either bad reporting or someone had an ax to grind with the runners/marathon.

Also, as much as all it takes is appearances to sway opinion, I read an interesting commentary from a runner friend of mine who also happens to be an electrical engineer who works in power distribution.  Those generators have no practical use in a residential setting, there is no practical way to hook them into the grid.  Unless everyone wanted to party under a tent in the middle of the street, they'd pretty much be decoration (you can't just plumb them into a building's wiring, for instance).

I don't know the size of the generators in question, but you can reconfigure a grid for distributed power generation.

Montreal ice storm '98 they used diesel-electric locomotives to power parts of the city.

jfa

Anyone hearing anything about what they will do with those of us that were registered?

Any whispers, rumors, thoughts?

Think we'll be included in next year's race?