Have you switched shoes? Why did you do it? (Read 923 times)

Running is NOT a cheap sport. You have to spend money on shoes to keep your body from becoming injured. Once you figure out what shoe works for you, then you can seek out sources to buy them cheaper, but you have to decide that if you are going to run, it's at least $100.00 for shoes, and you can't take short cuts.
    Actually, I'm going to disagree with some of that. Running is pretty cheap compared with the myriad of sports I have or still do play. With that said, I purchased my $1,000 irons for $400 when someone bought them, hit them once at the range, and then realized they weren't the right clubs. I don't want to spend money I don't have to spend. I also think that saying one must pay $100 for a pair of shoes just means that the marketing has been successful. It wouldn't be America if we didn't think it was ok to pay $4 for a cup of coffee or $200 for a pair of jeans. My wife runs in Wave Creations not because she needs the padding but because they are the most expensive pair Mizuno makes and she changes at the first sign of dirt or when the new model comes out. 85% of the runners I know either buy the most expensive shoe in their brand or buy a pair of Nike/NB/Adias at an outlet with little regard to picking a good shoe. On the other hand, I want to buy the right shoe for me at the best price I can find. I've never paid $100 for a pair of running shoes. Maybe even more than the money factor is the fact that it takes several runs for a new shoe to feel right. Once it hits the sweet spot, it's disheartening to know that in 8 to 10 weeks it's time to start over. There's a certain comfort factor, both mentally and physically, in having a reliable pair of shoes. Now I'm getting nostalgic...
    2008 Goals Don't attack the guy that passes me like I'm standing still when I think I'm running fast...I can't catch him anyway and I'd just look silly
    C-R

For fear of being labeled a statistical outlier I usually don't answer this type of question but since variety is the spice of life or something like that here goes. I have four different models I use to run right now. I run exclusively in flats and have for about a year with one pair having over 500 miles on them (I couldn't get my data off CR to transfer so my log reflects as of my joining here) and I'm sure I can get lots more. Why so many? The shoes are lower in cost and since they are flats I get to go with what is on sale or what looks neat. I can also bide my time and wait for deals on shoes I like. As some of my friends say about my spending habits - He's tighter than bark on a tree when it comes to spending money. I've been fortunate to avoid injury (no speedster here) and some folks will likely say I am a train wreck waiting for a place to happen but I will continue on this path as it has served me well . Disclaimer - Individual results may vary and past performance is not indicative of future results. And no - I'm not a barefoot or Chi runner (or Chia Big grin). I just am able to run in flats. I would not advise others on this path simply stated that it took me quite a while to build up to here and my body type and running style seem suited for this. In the past, I also used neutral shoes or so some cushioning, but got tired of chasing shoe changes, model updates, and so on. I personally don't see an issue with differing paris as long as they are mechanically similar and suit your running. However, since the shoe companies don't like sharing this type of data, the best course of action is to find the right model and buy multiple pairs. IMHO. Let the beat downs begin. Cool

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

If your shoe is working (you are injury free) for you I wouldn't switch, keep buying the same ones. I run in ~$60 racing flats, mostly Adizero Adidas RCs. I just picked up a pair of Asics Hyper-Speed IIs for longer races. I do a lot of my running at a local park with a gravel and dirt track so they do not wear out quickly. I also try to run barefoot or in my vibrams, usually in soft grass. I believe this helps keep my feet and lower legs strong and stretched, which helps prevent injury. I disagree about running not being a cheap sport. It's still cheaper than a gym membership if you don't buy expensive shoes all the time and race every weekend. You want an expensive sport, try auto racing!
        Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Do you roll from the heel or land on the ball of your foot?
          I am definitely a forefoot runner. All barefoot runners are, AFAIK. I was a regular heel-striker before, I was only able to really "get" forefoot running when I ditched the shoes. It comes very naturally when you're barefoot. And contrary to popular belief, this doesn't mean the ball of your foot lands first -- at least not for everyone. My heels are often the first to touch the ground, but there's little weight on them. The weight lands on the forefoot where shock can be readily absorbed by the arch and calf.
          What surfaces are you running on?
          Mostly city sidewalks, roads, concrete, and paved paths. Some dirt/rock trails and grass.
          How do you begin to make a transition to running barefoot? What are the secrets to doing so successfully?
          Take it really easy at first. Walk for a while if running is too much. Run really slow. At the same time, be consistent. Make frequent attempts. Perhaps there's a section of smooth path along one of your common daily running routes. Just stop when you get there, kick off your shoes, and carry them. When you've had enough, put them back on. Practice on surfaces that are smooth but hard, like the kind of place where people like to inline skate. You want smooth because your soles will be sensitive at first, but you want hard because it's the only way to learn correct form. There are two aspects to keep in mind. One is that your soles need to toughen up -- this happens relatively fast. The other is that the hundreds of muscles and joints in your feet and lower legs that have been dormant for most of your life need to get strong. This takes longer. Read the articles at runningbarefoot.org, and check out the Yahoo discussion group. Have fun, and don't take yourself too seriously. Especially when you get odd looks. :-)
          Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
          runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Home > Home & garden > Sports & exercise equipment > Running shoes Sports & exercise equipment In this report Overview CR Quick Recommendations Ratings Latest Ratings Canadian Ratings How to choose What we tested for Virtual pedometer Anatomy of a running shoe August 2008 Ratings Running shoes Nike Air Zoom Vomero+ 2 (men's) Champion Helium (men's) Nike Air Zoom Vomero+ 2 (women's) Champion Wonder C9 (women's) Availability Most models in stores at press time. Within types, in performance order. indicates Quick Pick. Excellent Very good Good Fair Poor Brand & model Price Overall score Test results MEN’S Nike Air Zoom Vomero+ 2 1 $120 78 11.5 Brooks Glycerin 6 1 120 75 12.2 Adidas Supernova Cushion 7 3 90 74 12.1 Mizuno Wave Rider 11 2 95 72 11.2 Asics GEL-Cumulus 9 3 80 71 10.9 Saucony ProGrid Triumph 5 1 120 70 11.8 Avia Tuned Trainer II 1 80 69 11.3 Puma Complete Infinitus 1 85 68 9.2 Reebok Premier Cushioning V 1 80 64 12.3 Nike Air Pegasus+ 2007 3 85 64 12.6 New Balance 893 2 85 60 11.2 Champion Helium (Target) 1 30 52 11.6 WOMEN’S Nike Air Zoom Vomero+ 2 1 120 76 9.8 Nike Air Pegasus+ 2007 3 85 72 9.9 Puma Complete Infinitus 1 85 72 7.3 Reebok Premier Hatana 1 85 71 9.7 Adidas Supernova Cushion 7 3 90 70 10.2 Brooks Glycerin 6 1 120 70 10.1 Asics GEL-Cumulus 9 3 80 69 9.3 Mizuno Wave Rider 11 2 95 69 9.0 Saucony ProGrid Triumph 5 1 120 68 10.1 Avia Tuned Trainer II 1 80 64 9.1 Champion Wonder C9 (Target) 2 28 56 10.2 New Balance 893 2 85 56 8.9 Discontinued but still available in stores. Guide to the Ratings The overall score is based mainly on fit, cushioning, stability and flexibility. We also considered breathability, weight, and features like lacing systems and reflective strips. Widths available specifies number of widths. Although most running shoes come in a wide range of lengths (from 6 or 7 to 14 or 15 in most men's models and 5 or 6 to 12 in most women's), many are available in only one or two widths. Weight is in ounces for men's size 9 and women's size 7. Fit reflects the panelists' judgments on toe-box roominess, heel snugness, and arch comfort. Cushioning scores are based on outside lab tests and panel judgments of impact absorption at the heel and forefoot. Stability combines outside lab tests and panel judgments of how well each shoe controls pronation, the foot's tendency to roll toward the inside. Flexibility combines lab measurements and panel judgments of the force required to bend each shoe at the ball of the foot. Breathability reflects how well moisture from sweaty feet will evaporate. Price is approximate retail.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

I buy my shoes at 50% discount at winter. Light weight Adidas, what ever model. I usually get 1000-1500 miles per shoe, but I am light weight by myself too. In fact I like worn shoes more then new ones. But, one major reason why I can run that sort of mileage is that I too love to include barefoot running to my training, mostly summers though. Usually after warm up I take my shoes off and run 2-7km barefooted (and carry my shoes). This keeps my running technique in midfoot-striking that is easy to my body and to my shoes. I would love to try those 5fingers. Maybe next summer. I am not in a hurry because I still prefer to run totally barefooted. If you start barefooting I would also recommend walking first, maybe 1 month or so. After that you can start to run up to 1km per run few times per week. Do not do it everyday. You can start to increase 1km per run every second week, but do pay attention to your feet. If you get any pains (most probably top of the arches) you are overdoing it and keep rest, total rest for a week or two. You can still run regularly with shoes, just do not do barefoot running. Also, your heels can get quite sore at first. Do give them enough time to get used to the bounding. You cannot heel-strike, but in natural running technique you heel softly strikes the ground after your sole has contacted the ground. This is a natural cushioning mechanism of your legs, but can give your heels bounding that they have not get used to yet. Slowly, slowly and slowly...and one day you notice that you just love the bare feeling of your feet while running. No any weight of shoes, no soft cushioning, but pure control and feeling of the surface. I just love to run barefooted.
              runnerclay

Consistently Slow

The above post is from consumer reports. the last number is the rating for the tested shoe. I have switch from etonic-Nike-new balance-asics and a few in others over the past 19 years. I now buy shoes on-line. I overpronate( maybe an age thing). I buy the discontinue model. I have three new pair at present . Two came last week @ 25% off the closeout price. Asicis KayanoXll . Paid $130 for the two pair. Upgrade from the GT- 2120 which cost $60. I have been running in Asics the last 2 years. Asics work for me.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/