Speed training plans (Read 557 times)

I'm going to start doing speed training! There, I said it, I'm going to do it. For those that aren't aware of my feelings on speed training...I'd rather cut off my toes & eat them than speed train!! However, I am extremely competitive and while I don't enter races to win (due to the fact that I'm painfully slow!), I do compete with myself to beat my own times, etc. And my goal is to someday make the 2 Hour Club in the Fifth Third Riverbank Run 25K! My point is, I need to quit being pathetic & lazy & do some speed training. Any recommendations on how to start, how long to run, etc? I can comfortably run 8-10miles at a sub-11 min pace now. If I sprint 50 yards, I think I'm going to die. That is an idea of my fitness level for you to work from. Any advice would be appreciated!! Thanks, Eryn
    So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
    Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Eryn, I never ate toes myself, but I bet GUs provide more energy than toes on the run Wink So eat your GUs and save your toes! That could be my new tag line. Anyways... Since your goal for speed training is to improve your overall speed for the longer distances, I would recommend doing more tempo runs or fartlegs, both of which will improve your aerobic capacities. You can also do intervals at the track, but focus on the longer repeats such as the 1000m or the mile. The shorter intervals are better suited for 5 and 10 ks. That reminds me, some of my friends run in a 5k once a week and they improved dramatically. It all boils down to if you want to run fast in a race, then you need to run fast in training. There are coaches and fast runners on this site. Maybe they can chime in on how to increase your aerobic capacity.
        Maybe I should go back to running the virtual 5K instead of the 5mi & just push myself hard during that one. And I could throw in a 5k once a week. I rarely do less than 5mi, cause it takes me 2.5-3.5 to feel warmed up & get my flow going. Don't use my log as a gauge of what I've been doing. I sit down & add my runs as I have time, which is about every 2-3wks. I spend too much time in the forum's.... Wink
        So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
        Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I spend too much time in the forum's.... Wink
          We all spend a little too much time on this site ;-) If it takes you a long time to warm up, then maybe the Fartleg is better suited for you. Do your usual warmups, then run 4 minutes at tempo pace followed by a minute of easy recovery. Repeat. You can tinker with the duration of how much you spend at each zone. It won't be fun but you'll definitely get faster if you keep pushing yourself.
          JakeKnight

My point is, I need to quit being pathetic & lazy & do some speed training. Any recommendations on how to start, how long to run, etc? I can comfortably run 8-10miles at a sub-11 min pace now. If I sprint 50 yards, I think I'm going to die. That is an idea of my fitness level for you to work from. Any advice would be appreciated!! Thanks, Eryn
            The very best advice for now is simply .... whatever you do, make it FUN! Speed play should be just that ... play! At least at first. And NO SPRINTING. If you're training for half marathon distance, speed work should never be sprints (unless, of course, you're just having fun doing them.) For example - if you're training for something even as short as a 5k, a lot of people say to go do 400s (single laps) at a pace that's around 5-7 seconds faster than your goal pace. Personally, I push that to 15 seconds faster, but it's still nowhere near a sprint. Do you wanna run on a track? On the road? Some people do intervals from mailbox to mailbox; personally, I've started to love going to the track. I'll do sets of 400s, or 800s, or miles. Sometimes, just to keep it fun, I'll mix it up. Most people will tell you that if you're training for long distance, you shouldn't do anything shorter than 800s - and usually mile intervals. As in - do 5 miles, one at a time, with each at say 20-30 seconds faster than your goal time for your race. Walk/jog a lap or two in between. Rinse, wash, and repeat. But I still do 400s; my last speed workout was 10x400, jogging a full lap in between. The point is that, where you are now, just go do it. (That slogan sounds familiar). Play with it. Don't push it too hard, and have fun. Did I mention no sprinting? And do it no more than once a week for now. Some people will say once every two weeks - alternating with a long run. Whatever. Just make it fun, or you'll never do it. Good luck! (One last thing - do 6-8 weeks of HILL training before you start the speed training. Your legs will thank you.)

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

Scout7

I agree with the no sprint stuff. I'm like you when it comes to speedwork (yeah, it's work, I don't sugarcoat). As for recommendations on what to do.....Tempo runs. Start out slow, build up to race or near-race pace, then back down again at the end of the run. Kinda like the fartlek runs, but a little different. I saw an article about marathon training that had an interesting schedule to it. Longest run was a 25 or 30k, but run like a time trial, on the track. I'm contemplating that for next year, but I'm afraid I'll go totally bonkers doing that many laps....
              JakeKnight

My speed work (I mean play!) this morning: 5 x 800 at the track (with a lap walking/joggin in between each, and 1.5 miles easy running to and from the track). It was a blast! Why is it so fun? 3 reasons: 1) I try not to forget that I'm *supposed* to be having fun. If I hate it - I won't do it. 2) It's something different; really breaks up the routine. 3) The best reason - it's REALLY fun to run *fast* once in a while! 4) (A bonus reason) ... it's the only time I can really feel myself getting faster and stronger. Most of my training runs end up being in the 8:30-9:30 pace range, a little slower over 10 miles, maybe 7:30-8:00 for 3-4 mile runs. My most frequent 7 mile run is usually right at 9:00 pace. But I ran my last 800 at 6:00 pace today - and it's such a refreshing change to go fast. Okay, faster. Fast for me. And for me, 6:00 pace is moving like the wind blows. Sure, I can't maintain it for 5k. Or a mile. But damn, it's fun for a little bit. Now go hit the track. Enjoy yourself. (And I'm officially done trying to hypnotize you into thinking it'll be just so darn much fun ...)

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------