How accurate is the nike+ running app indoors or on the treadmill? (Read 33 times)

mnevenson

I'm wondering what other people's experiences have been with this app. My short legs have a hard time keeping up with the belt so I have the treadmill set to where it says I'm running a 14:00 minute mile, which I'm certain isn't right because I do a 10:00 mm outdoors. My running app says that indoors I'm doing around a 10 mm. What gives?

TJoseph

I haven't used the Nike+, but a Garmin watch with the footpod is never off for me by more than 1-2% once it is calibrated if I am running around the pace I calibrated it.  You should be able to tell the difference between the effort of a 10mm and a 14mm mile.  If the effort feels like a 10mm and the treadmill is set to 14mm, I would say the treadmill's calibration is way off.

mnevenson

Thanks for the input! I would also like to add that it calculates the same way for every treadmill I get on, so I have been trying other treadmills. I'm not sure if it's because of my short legs trying to keep up with the treadmill.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My freebie treadmill is also way off and only reads MPH, so I go by what it feels like.  When the treadmill says 4mph it's quite clearly >5.5mph.  I got outside today and I'm thinking 4mph on my treadmill is probably more like 5.6-5.7mph.  Pretty major discrepancy.  I have a Garmin foot pod that I need to calibrate on a clear road run (not sure when we'll see that…maybe April) so that I can more accurately log ™ runs and not feel so demoralized by them.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

mnevenson

Sounds similar to what happens to me! I usually set it around 4.3 MPH and my pace on my app reads a little less than a 10 mm.

Why would you need it indoors?

---------