Do I push through "Dead Legs" from XTraining (Read 210 times)

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I am coming off 2.5 weeks off for a foot tendonitis issue and I feel like my foot is 100%.  After a couple of "testing the foot" runs, I added in a cross training body weight exercise routine.  I felt fine before starting the xtraining, but on my last 2 runs I have had that heavy "lead legs" feeling.

My question is, should I push through the "dead legs" and continue doing the xtraining?  I am not doing any speedwork or quality runs right now, just working on building back my mileage.

The xtrain routine is an adaptation of the "Iron Strength" workout that was posted at some point on RW

2 min warmup; 30s jumping jacks, 30s squats, 30s lunges, 30s jumping jacks

3 sets 10 squat jumps

2 min; 15 row from plank*, 15 push ups, 15 sit ups (continue for 2 min)

2 min: 15 jump lunges, 15 One leg jump squats (continue for 2 min)

2 min: 20 mountain climbers, 10 legs down (continue for 2 min)

2 min: 15 Dead lift high pulls*, 15 one leg overhead press*, 15 one leg curls* (continue for 2 min)

Squat thrust pyramid (8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1)

45s each - Left plank, center plank, right plank

*12# weights

This is scaled down from the "6 minutes of each" version toted on RW and it still kicks my ass pretty good.

My general feeling on this is that I will do this workout 3X per week while building my base back.  If I can do it I should be much stronger by the time I am back to 40+ mile weeks.  Any input is appreciated.

**Ask me about streaking**

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

My legs had some life in them on my run yesterday...thanks for the input    Big grin

Actually if anyone wants to weigh in on this anyways I would still like to hear about it.

If you are base building, cross training like this is probably okay. The key is recovery.  If you have dead legs, that is a clue to have a short recovery run at easy pace on that day, maybe only 20-30 minutes, and have the longer run "general aerobic" on the following day.  And while there is no exercise that will substitute for running a lot of miles, it is important to keep core and hamstrings strong.

I don't see much of a downside. I have been doing a lot more leg strengthening and stretching in the last 2 weeks than I've ever done, and my legs have been in a constant state of fatigue. I haven't done any workouts but I imagine if I did I would feel a bit dead legged. This is probably a good thing in terms of injury prevention, not so much if you want to do workouts that require some "pop" in the legs.

Runners run

Slo

I don't see much of a downside. I have been doing a lot more leg strengthening and stretching in the last 2 weeks than I've ever done, and my legs have been in a constant state of fatigue. I haven't done any workouts but I imagine if I did I would feel a bit dead legged. This is probably a good thing in terms of injury prevention, not so much if you want to do workouts that require some "pop" in the legs.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

I'm recovering from some kind of knee injury and between the loss of running fitness and the renewed emphasis on strength training I have been running on dead legs too. I'm running almost a full minute/mile slower...where I should be actually for my aerobic runs on dead legs. Keeps me in check.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

This all sounds reasonable.  I really don't need any "pop" in my legs right now.  The cross training is part of an effort to achieve injury free running.  I don't have any reason to run fast over the next month...just base miles.  Thanks for the responses (for real this time!)

Everydog

When I started running I decided that the  part of my strength training I was going to take most seriously would be  free weight dead lifts.  it actually took a couple of months ,really almost 3 months before I did not have serious doms from my once a week dead lift sets.  It definitely kept my running in check, which as mentioned, isn't always a bad thing. In that time I only went from to a highest set of  6x225 to 10x265(mostly from improved form). I gave up weighted squats because they trash my knees,  but those will also rip the hamstrings up.  I did push through, but cautiously if that makes sense started off very slow and when warmed up got going faster. I tore a meniscus when I was young and invincible and went from a heavy weight lift straight to dunking a basket ball. The tension can actually cause more explosiveness once you get used to it,  but with some  risk.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I've been pushing through and I like it.  I'm not tempted to overdue it with the running and I'm figuring out how to do the workouts with quality running workouts too.  I stopped when I started to taper for my last race and felt absolutely great during the event.

zonykel

I've been pushing through and I like it.  I'm not tempted to overdue it with the running and I'm figuring out how to do the workouts with quality running workouts too.  I stopped when I started to taper for my last race and felt absolutely great during the event.

Good job. Not sure i could do something like that. I prefer to have fresh legs during the workouts.