I'm creating a monster! (Read 1471 times)

12-week layoff

Geez Louise!  You whimp.  We have killed 2 pygmy rattlesnakes in the backyard, and regularly find black widows in our outdoor furniture. Brown recluse spiders live here too. Hubby catches king snakes and rat snakes and plays with them, and he once caught a bat in our garage. There are alligators in the bay where we kayak, and our neighbor has killed two water moccasins down in the common area of our subdivision, on the banks of the lake where we fish.  Add in foxes and coyotes, and the occasional bobcat...you would never make it down her.  Nature red in tooth and claw and all of that.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ha, well, we have have had at least 5 bats in our house since moving here >12 years ago.  Bats in our county have tested positive for rabies, too.  Bats don't bother me in the least.  Nor do snakes (though I'd maybe feel differently if we had dangerous ones.  Otherwise I think they are cool and when I see them on the MUP I will stop and try to urge them back into the grass so they don't get squished).  We've had black bears in our county and several sightings of cougars in the area, but DNR won't confirm.  Wolves are working their way down, as well.  Oh, and wild pigs....soooeeee!!!!  We have coyotes, but I've never seen one.  Lots of fox, deer, wild turkeys.  On RA member who lives 2 miles from me is scared shitless of deer (it's very comical when we run together and she starts getting panic'd at the sight of them).

Snapping turtles kinda scare me...good thing they are slow.  Damn, they are MEAN mofos!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

12-week layoff

We have snapping turtles, too, but I've never seen one.  I forgot to mention sharks!  The principal of a local middle school had his arm bitten off by a bull shark while training for a triathlon at dawn one morning.  True story!  My husband saw a cougar, but that was years ago...I'm not sure we have any left anymore. 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Sharks and gators...you win with those, for sure!  I don't know how people live in Australia.  The scary shit they have EVERYWHERE on that continent!

~ Sarah Kay

We'll encourage marching band if he wants to keep playing...which requires a lot more coordination than I possess, for certain! Tongue He's already wanting one of these to use for "heckling" at cyclocross races, since we won't let him bring his $900 rental trombone.

I play semi regularily with a trombone player who bought one of the P- bones-they are really neat- I messd around with it a bit-  plays just like a trombone. Perfect for off road use and below freezing temperatures.  If I had a bunch of them I'd use 'em for my Christmas trombone quartet- two red horns and two green horns.  They only weigh a pound and a  half or something- you could run a marathon with one of these.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I play semi regularily with a trombone player who bought one of the P- bones-they are really neat- I messd around with it a bit-  plays just like a trombone. Perfect for off road use and below freezing temperatures.  If I had a bunch of them I'd use 'em for my Christmas trombone quartet- two red horns and two green horns.  They only weigh a pound and a  half or something- you could run a marathon with one of these.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Pbones.  Too bad one can't mix-match the color of the slide with the main horn.

~ Sarah Kay

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Sharks and gators...you win with those, for sure!  I don't know how people live in Australia.  The scary shit they have EVERYWHERE on that continent!

My mind immediately thought of those crazy scary looking funnel web spiders you all have. Yikes!

TRUST THE PROCESS

I've heard nothing but good things about the Pbones.  Too bad one can't mix-match the color of the slide with the main horn.

Buy two with contrasting colors.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Buy two with contrasting colors.

I would totally do that if my nephew had taken up trombone instead of trumpet.  If he decides to switch I totally would.  That would be a really fun Christmas present for both boys.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Gotta brag on my kid, again. He just ran 2.1 miles at 11:17 pace INCLUDING a few brief walk breaks (his first official run on Sept 15 was 14:10 pace). This is my typical easy jog pace WITHOUT walk breaks. And he still talked a blue streak the entire way. He will hit 50 miles run about 1 mile into his first 5k race on Sat. So many things to celebrate that day!

He's done a couple of 3 milers in preparation for his race, too.  His pace isn't generally a whole lot slower for 3 milers than for 2s.  And with the exception of one day in the past week he is always eager to get out for his runs.  Everyone has that occasional day when they're just not feeling it, so I didn't push him.  He knows that sometimes I don't feel like doing a planned workout, for whatever reason.

He's already interested in XC in HS, too (we'd have him do Jr. high XC, but his school doesn't offer it).  A neighbor girl is a year ahead of him and just finished XC and he's intrigued by the thought of running in different places and on varying terrain.  Last week I asked him if he liked running and he said "I LOVE running!"  I asked him what he loved about it and he gestured all around and said that he loved being out in all the Nature.  I think I have a future trail runner on my hands and I couldn't be happier about that! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

In the blink of an eye, he's gonna be outrunning and outbiking you!  You'll be exhausted trying to keep up! Smile

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Back to the PBone thing, that quartet would be awesome.  I'd buy one and join your combo if I lived anywhere near.  Just curious, do they sound like s***?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

In the blink of an eye, he's gonna be outrunning and outbiking you!  You'll be exhausted trying to keep up! Smile

It's already happening.  I can run further at an overall faster pace, but as he needs fewer and shorter walk breaks his run pace is definitely faster than mine.  And he's barely breathing and able to carry on rambling, mostly one-sided conversations while I'm nodding and making brief comments.

He wants to train for another race in the Spring (it's starting to get dark early and I'd rather not be running in the dark once snow hits, so he's going to take the Winter off, aside from maybe some runs on the weekends here and there).  I have a feeling there will be a lot of runs then where he will be stopping to wait for me every few blocks.

I can ride circles around him on the bike, still, but mostly because his tiny bike is a tank and has heavy components and smaller wheels.  Once he fits on an adult bike (which will easily be next Summer for a 44-48cm frame) I'm toast. Blush  Same deal on mountain bikes.  His bike is heavy and miserable on uphills (he inherited my too-small bike).  Once he gets on a better mtn. bike he'll leave me in the dust.  He's a lot more confident than I am and seems to crash a lot less. Black eye

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Back to the PBone thing, that quartet would be awesome.  I'd buy one and join your combo if I lived anywhere near.  Just curious, do they sound like s***?

We've asked a few people about them and everyone says they sound surprisingly good.  Like real brass.  We found a beat-up trombone for DS for $25 that he brings to cyclocross races for heckling, but eventually we may get him a Pbone.  If he sticks with band for the next couple of years that might be something we'd get him as a middle school graduation present that he could use in HS.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Dane had a great first race...not as fast as I am certain he could have gone, but today he learned some important lessons about pacing and was beat by a 7 year old who has been running longer and done a couple of previous races.  Dane went out too fast and stayed with the lead runners (I think there were 36 runners registered in advance...maybe a few more registered at the race) for about the first .25 mile.  

I caught up with him soon after as he started to walk (when we run together he usually goes about twice as far before needing to walk).  When I caught him I asked him if he wanted me to stay with him or keep going and he told me to keep going.  I hoped that I'd be a carrot for him and he'd pick up the pace, but he spent a lot of the race getting distracted by leaf piles in the street and managed to collect 2 "lucky rocks" by the end of the race.  

I finished 6 minutes ahead of him (my 5k PW, woot!  Wasn't racing this so much as enjoying a nice run for a good cause and loosening up my legs for tomorrow's CX race) and circled-back to run him in.  In sight of the finish he was taking walk breaks -- who does that?!  His overall pace was really no faster than his easy run pace.  He still needs to learn that it's OK to be uncomfortable for racing.

At the finish he was bummed that only the first place winners in each age group got medals...coffee's for closers, kid!  I think seeing that punk 7 year old get a medal really put some race anger in him.  I will remind him of this next Spring when he's interested in training for another race.  That 7 year old ran a solid, steady race and didn't get distracted by things on the course.  Next time I will stick by his side and keep him on task, too.

~ Sarah Kay