why cant i increase my running distance ? (Read 2567 times)

winnie85

hi fellow runners,

I m running for past  6 months  i lost  13kg (93kg to 80kg) . i started running on road  then on tread mill (due knee pain)........ i can run  around 10km in 1hr on treadmill..........but 3 months back i stopped my running on treadmill and started  running  on the road i realized that i had stamina for 30 mins of run in which i did  5km........ when i tried  to increase my  stamina  all i cud  do was 6km in 34min .    ALL WANT TO INCREASE  MY STAMINA TO 1HR AND MORE THAN 10 KM

CAN  ANY FELLOW  RUNNER HELP ME IN MY STRUGGLE TO INCREASE  MY STAMINA. GIVE A PLAN OR  TIPS

CHEERS

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

You said "when you increased your stamina". What did that entail?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

winnie85

WAT I meant  was that  i was expecting that i cud easily push my stamina atleast to 45mins on the road......... as i cud  do 1 hr on tread mill  and running on road is tougher then on treadmill...............  all I want is to run 10km or more in an hr on a road or a park.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

You first need to SLOW DOWN while you run!  It's that simple.  If you're feeling like you need to stop, slow down some more!!   If you're doing anything more than  walking, it "counts!"

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

What would a typical week look like for you?

I mean, for example, I might expect an answer from some other runner, something like so:

rest day (no running)

easy day (3-5miles of 12-13min per mile if flat, slower when on hills)

easy day (as above)

hard workout, for example, tempo of 4-5miles trying to run 10-11min/miles if on flat

rest day

easy day (as above)

long run (7-10miles, pace as easy day

That's just a made up schedule, maybe no one would do that, but it is an idea of what I think a schedule might look like.

Do you have a typical schedule at all? Or if not, if you make it up (which I do myself, so I think that's fine), maybe you could summarize a couple recent weeks? Doesn't have to be that much detail. Just to give a feel for how much your easy and harder days vary, and how much rest you're doing (different people do different amounts).

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

SMART Approach

Winnie,

The best way to increase stamina is to run more - meaning more days per week and more miles at a slower pace. I have a hunch you are running hard each time because you are trying to hit a time for each run so basically each run is like a race for you. This is what gets you hurt. Only one time per week (for you) should you really feel spent from your run. Build your base with controlled runs, your stamina will follow. It takes time.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

servingthealiens

You're probably running faster on the road than you are on the TM.  Most people do because you don't have the machine to set your pace.  Like has already been said, slow down.  Speed will come later.

hi fellow runners,

I m running for past  6 months  i lost  13kg (93kg to 80kg) . i started running on road  then on tread mill (due knee pain)........ i can run  around 10km in 1hr on treadmill..........but 3 months back i stopped my running on treadmill and started  running  on the road i realized that i had stamina for 30 mins of run in which i did  5km........ when i tried  to increase my  stamina  all i cud  do was 6km in 34min .    ALL WANT TO INCREASE  MY STAMINA TO 1HR AND MORE THAN 10 KM

CAN  ANY FELLOW  RUNNER HELP ME IN MY STRUGGLE TO INCREASE  MY STAMINA. GIVE A PLAN OR  TIPS

CHEERS

My first suggestion would be: try to spell those simple words correctly.  Unless you are 10 or 12 years old and you may still be learning how to spell, in which case 10k in an hour is not that bad at all.  Others may have a different opinion but, as far as I'm concerned, spelling simple basic words incorrectly is not "cute" if that's why you do that.  I personally think it only shows your lack of intelligence.

I don't really get your "struggle".  If you were running 5k in 30 minutes and 10k in an hour and how you run 6k in 34 minutes which is in fact quite a bit faster than before.  That seems to me simply a natural progression???  I'm not sure what you want either--you want to go further than an hour or you want to run more than 10k in an hour?  The former would be stamina/endurance development; the latter might be speed development.

My running related suggestion is not to worry about per-kilometer pace.  Just go by how long you run.  And secondly, vary the duration each day.  Now we have NO idea what sort of program you're following right now; whether you're running 3 times a week or 5 times a week or everyday.  Try to run as often as possible; it would be better for you to run one day long; then follow that by shorter run...  Alternate your duration like that; and one day a week longer than any other day.  So it should look something like:

Sunday:  1 hour (however many kilometer you may cover, it wouldn't matter)

Monday: 15 minutes

Tuesday: 25~30 minutes

Wednesday: 15 minutes

Thursday: 30~40 minutes

Friday: Rest

Saturday: 20 minutes

Don't worry about how far you run or what pace you're running.  Just cover the duration at comfortable effort.

If you've been running for 6 months and if your pace dips down a bit (though your post didn't quite indicate that); i wouldn't call that a struggle.  We all have a bio-rhythm.  You have a good day and a bad day; or a good week and a bad week.  In regards to running on the road vs. treadmill; you may feel running on treadmill easier because you are being pulled along by the machine.  I personally found most treadmill "pace" quite a bit slower than my actual pace outside.  I haven't quite checked different machine or brand but I wouldn't be surprised if the calberation might differ from brand to brand; I wouldn't know.  But one thing I usually tell people if they want to run on treadmill is; cover the meter with a towle!!  Don't worry about those numbers.  Learn to run by how you feel.

My first suggestion would be: try to spell those simple words correctly.  Unless you are 10 or 12 years old and you may still be learning how to spell, in which case 10k in an hour is not that bad at all.  Others may have a different opinion but, as far as I'm concerned, spelling simple basic words incorrectly is not "cute" if that's why you do that.  I personally think it only shows your lack of intelligence.

Nobby, I know you are not a native speaker, so maybe you are a little  more justified to make this gripe. However, it was not constructive and you yourself have made similar mistakes. Anyway, such comments certainly don't make RA inviting. Frankly, I am surprised that you would make such a comment.

My first suggestion would be: try to spell those simple words correctly.  Unless you are 10 or 12 years old and you may still be learning how to spell, in which case 10k in an hour is not that bad at all.  

(etc etc)

But one thing I usually tell people if they want to run on treadmill is; cover the meter with a towle!!  

I'm not sure exactly how spelling prowess has any correlation to what advice to give this runner, nor how it affects whether 10km in an hour is 'good' or 'bad'. If you're going to critique spelling, perhaps spellcheck your own post first.

To the poster: be patient! Running is a long game. As others have mentioned, running outside is very different to the treadmill experience. Run more outside, keep it deliberately easy and gradually build up how long you spend running. Try not to get bogged down by ideas of distance and speed for now.

How about at least capitalizing "I"  ?  The shift key is not  that far away.

el Miguel

IMO Nobby's advice was correct and specific in every respect.  Those offended need to reread what he wrote.     

xor

The first post does not sound like a native english (or English) speaker or writer.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Nobby, I know you are not a native speaker, so maybe you are a little  more justified to make this gripe. However, it was not constructive and you yourself have made similar mistakes. Anyway, such comments certainly don't make RA inviting. Frankly, I am surprised that you would make such a comment.

+1 Shocked

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Who is talking about "misspell" and "typo"?  Yes, I'm just a stupid foreigner who misspell and make typos.  But I had worked probably 3 times harder than any of RA posters here (most of them anyways) with English that I just simply do not understand why native English speakers don't seem to give a damn about mixing up "your" and "you're" or "there" and "they're"; let alone making incorrect spelling such as "cud" or "wat" INTENTIONALLY.  Or do you think the OP is actually a non-English speaking person?  I highly doubt it.  Non-English speaking person would spell better than that.  On the contrary, non-English speaking person most probably wouldn't know "cud" or "wat".  They sure as hell would know "could" and "what" I'm sure of it.  Of course, like I said, some people may just not give a damn about it.  You may be one of those people who oooh and aaaaah with Prefontaine movies; but you most probably would never understand what Bill Bowerman meant about him being an educator even before being a coach.  And if you think just writing down some bogus numbers would make you a better runner, you are in a big surprise.  And, to me, that kind of attitude actually shows clearly in running.

Besides, so what your criticising what I said, without even fully understanding what I meant, contribute to the OP's question anyways?  I tell you, there seem to be plenty of cheerleaders here and if cheerleaders are all you want, there's no place here for me.  I'd much rather "advise" and "educate" others with what I've learnt and what I know.  Pardon my blant comment but any idiot can say; "Ooooh, you're doing a great job; keep it up.  You can do it!!"  And if that's what you want, you can just ask Eric to post that on the home page so you can look at it every day.  Good luck with becoming a better runner with that.