10K Running Study, Participants needed (Read 841 times)

gurenl

Participants needed for Running Study

A research project at the University of Roehampton is currently looking to recruit endurance runners for a project, which is investigating the effects of rinsing the mouth with different carbohydrate solutions on 10K running performance. Recent research has reported that rinsing (but not swallowing) a carbohydrate solution activates the same area of the brain that is activated when a carbohydrate solution is actually drunk, and that cycling performance is improved. We are looking to see if running performance could also be improved by using this technique and whether there would be any differences in performance times if different concentrations of carbohydrate solutions are used.

So what will you have to do?

If you agree to take part in this study, you will be required to complete a VO2max test on a treadmill, a familiarisation trial and three 10k races preceded by a 90 min preload at 65 % VO2max, also on a treadmill, in which you rinse your mouth with either a carbohydrate solution (two different solutions) or a placebo solution. You also need to keep a food diary for 24-h before your first visit to the laboratory. 

So what are the benefits of taking part in this study?

In return for participating, you will receive feedback on your fitness, VO2max and if desired, nutritional feedback. You will also get insight in how studies are done, and you would get the results of the study when it is finished.

So who are we looking for?

I am looking for male runners aged around 18-50 years, with at least 2 years running experience. You will also need to currently be undertaking 2 days of endurance training a week.

Contact Information

If you are interested and would like more details please contact Lars Guren by e-mail at gurenl@roehampton.ac.uk or by telephone 0776 55 57615

xor

So, um, we have to be close to London?

aged around 18-50 years, with at least 2 years running experience. You will also need to currently be undertaking 2 days of endurance training a week.

not only do we have to live near London, but the strict requirements disqualifies a lot of people. 

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

If they're too stupid to put the location in the title, they don't deserve participants.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Looks like it might be Ackingham, Ackingshire or Ackford.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Ackingham, Ackingshire or Ackford.  

Sounds like you need a hairball remedy.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Define endurance training.
                JimR

Looks like it might be Ackingham, Ackingshire or Ackford.  

Ack!  Ack Ack!

That rib cage looks totally fake.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

See, that's focus. The rest of you slackers and ADD misfits could learn something from this.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

JimR

It's me.  I just completed a study testing hydrating body creams for runners.

I may have gotten a bad lot.