Joiningn the club (Read 748 times)

It turns out my "tendonitis" which was supposed to get better after 2 weeks without running is a femoral neck stress fracture. I was starting to feel like a total wimp, but I guess sometimes hypochondriacs get sick or injured.
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

who diagnosed this? and how?
        who diagnosed this? and how?
        My friend who wants to be a neurosurgeon when she grows up. J\K. Dr. Byars (sports med - Vandy Peds chief 04-05) by MRI - I havent seen the official read, but he e-mailed and called me this afternoon (Friday) around 4 - the original plan was for me to go talk to him next week and discuss the results. I have actually been suspicious for a while, but figured I was just a hypochondriac. (When I saw him the beg of Feb, I actually went in and said my goal for the visit was for him to tell me if I had a stress fx or tendonitis\muslce strain\whatever). I e-mailed him earlier in the week saying the original plan was to "consider imaging" if conservative treatment didnt work, and asked if he agreed that it seemed appropriate since I am not getting better and really feel like my friends shouldnt be asking me if I am still limping and also walking a fair amount hurts a bit too. (NB: I do not disagree with his original plan. When I saw him, I had had 1-2 really bad weeks, and then a week where every day was a little better. I think the odds were that it would keep getting better. It just didnt work that way.) Good news is it is the compression type (and not tension) stress fracture. Roll eyes
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Hmm. What symptoms. Sorry about the news.
            Hmm. What symptoms. Sorry about the news.
            At least I know what it is now. I am glad that I have been crazy busy on gyn and havent really had enough time to push myself the past month. I have felt so lazy and wimpy, which in retrospect was the right side of the coin. Symptoms: anterior-medical upper thigh\groin (I dont know where the groin ends and the thigh begins silly as it sounds!) that hurt when I walk, worse after minimal running or elliptical, etc. "Funky" gait according to JB. Hurts most on internal rotation especially towards the end of full range of motion. Started out really mild, then got really bad in a week or so to the point where just moving a tiny bit hurt. Then it gradually got better for a couple weeks, then plateaued at a point where it still bothering me way more than it should, given that I am running 1 mile 2x a week at the very most. I guess Tiberias in Jan probably isnt a realistic goal now?
              I'm so sorry - really didn't want to hear about anyone else joining. How far along are you ( you know what I mean lol) - how many weeks total does it take to heal?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
              Thyroid Support Group

Jill_B

I fly.

Symptoms: anterior-medical upper thigh\groin (I dont know where the groin ends and the thigh begins silly as it sounds!) that hurt when I walk, worse after minimal running or elliptical, etc. "Funky" gait according to JB.
                Yeah, but I just figured the funky gait was your way of adding some personality to your run. I hope you heal quickly. Now that you have a real diagnosis, how do you treat it?

Bring it on.

Treatment: Post as much as possible on message boards complaining about how unfair running injuries are. Then begin training for Tiberias. Now back to reality. Official read said "early stress fracture\stress reaction" whatever that means. Sports med doc told me if I stopped by, he would go over the MRI with me, and I assume at that time we will talk about a plan. For now, I am supposed to be non-weight bearing on crutches for a "few weeks." I really hope that is truly a few weeks, because after going all the way to my car this morning, I feel like I had a hard workout and need a shower. And a nap. My parents first comment: but we're going to try to spend a few days skiing next week when we are visiting my brother. Another question to add to my list, but I assume the answer is no. JB: So I dont have enough personality when running without a funky gait? Tongue What time does Guri head in? I assume too late for me, but I really need to find either a ride or a parking permit.
                  Jill_B

I fly.

I have more bad news for you. Guri walks to work.

Bring it on.

Treatment: Post as much as possible on message boards complaining about how unfair running injuries are. Then begin training for Tiberias.
                      Tongue Big grin

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                      Thyroid Support Group

I have more bad news for you. Guri walks to work.
                        Thats terrible news. Wink Since he is a fellow, does that mean he has a parking permit he isnt using? Or is it only residents who get free parking? Also, I think we both owe each other drinks now. I have lost track of who bet what, so we should just go out and enjoy ourselves. Big grin
                          Something funny: As a med-student I have easy access to my own medical record. Starting with the MRI report, notes changed from starting with something like "26 year old female" to "26 year old runner." Big grin