Going very fast on the treadmill--safe? (Read 565 times)

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Since my PF, I've been very anxious about running on hard surfaces outdoors (my last two outdoors workouts--on concrete--resulted in injuries/pain--see my other threads!), so I'm doing a lot on the treadmill.  Sometimes I'll do a HIIT workout, as I used to do before I was a 'real runner', but now the treadmill speed isn't quite fast enough for me, so I put it on a pretty steep incline.

Is it a good or bad idea to run my 30-second intervals (with good form and everything) at 12.4 mph and between 4.0 and 8.0 incline?  Is it cheating?  I've used treadmill hill sprints before to get in very good road racing shape, and I know it's always going to be controversial, but it's also always worked for me and never resulted in injury the way doing hard sprints outdoors can.

(If I could get to the track every workout, it would be different, but basically the only places to run around here have hard surfaces).

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

zonykel

Is there no safety lanyard on the treadmill your using?

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

There is, but I don't attach it to myself because it tends to yank out even when I'm just jogging.

Walk-Jogger

If it's a good workout, then it's a good idea. I do lots of uphill workouts on an incline treadmill.

Is it cheating? I don't even understand the question, in this context. A workout is a workout. What does cheating have to do with it?

Retired &  Loving It

Feeling the growl again

My machine only goes to 12mph but I do mile intervals at that.  There is nothing inherently unsafe about it; even at a relatively low speed bad things can happen if you fall on the belt.

It becomes unsafe if your balance is not good for some reason, or if the machine is not stable.  The treadmills at my work gym go over 12mph but I do not even do 12mph on them because I found that they are not solid and will start to move too much to be safe past about 11mph.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Oh, I guess 'cheating' because it's not the real world outdoors, is all I meant.  It actually does have something to do with the movement of the machine at high speeds, like I worry that at a certain incline or speed it becomes inaccurate; the machine does sometimes rock side to side a bit.

I wonder about this. At 12mph could the lanyard prevent you from being ejected if something went wrong?

MTA: Any volunteers? For science?

Thats rad

I wonder about this. At 12mph could the lanyard prevent you from being ejected if something went wrong?

Not really

SubDood

I remember a thread about weird treadmill form -- people hanging onto the bars or supporting themselves, usually at relatively low speeds. So my theory is that it's easier to keep your balance on a treadmill the FASTER you are going -- like a spinning top that stays upright until it slows down. Physics ... and stuff.

You may be trading one injury (PF) in for another (Achilles or calf). If you do hard hill efforts (4% to 8% grade) like that at a very fast pace  (12.4mph at 8% grade is equivalent to about a 4 min mile pace!!) that is putting a lot of stress on your calves/Achilles from both the grade (incline) and the treadmill itself (the belt spinning backward at a high rate) and this increasing the stress on your Achilles/calves. And if your wearing flatter shoes the stress is magnified. I would "build up" carefully to this (in terms of both grade and speed).

In looking at your 5k and Mile PR's (assuming they are current), running hill sprints on any surface at 12.4mph (4 min mile) seems extreme and could further irritate your PF issues (in addition to stressing your Achilles/calves)?

As far as safety issues on the treadmill itself, my experience is that if your bigger (I'm 6'4" 200) and run fast (anything faster than 7:00 pace) you run into more issues (as the average usage is either someone walking or running but usually at 9:00 pace or less, and if someone is running faster they are usually 150 lbs or less). If you smell an electrical smell or feel the belt shimmying, my experience is that is a telltale sign the belt requires maintenance and you need to stop immediately and find another machine (as that machine is unsafe at faster speeds and very likely to stop cold without warning -- which has happened to me several times on several different treadmills in different gyms until I figured this out).

Rob

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

You make a really good point about the calf issue.  I did feel some calf tightness after the first time I did those hill sprints.  As for speed--I am training to attempt a sub-60 400m so I do want to do some of my running at 4:00/mile pace or equivalent... but I really didn't know that 12.4/8.0 was equivalent to that.  I had better slow down a bit and maybe stick to 4.0 incline for now.  Thanks for the thoughtful answer.  I REALLY do not want to get hurt again.

You may be trading one injury (PF) in for another (Achilles or calf). If you do hard hill efforts (4% to 8% grade) like that at a very fast pace  (12.4mph at 8% grade is equivalent to about a 4 min mile pace!!) that is putting a lot of stress on your calves/Achilles from both the grade (incline) and the treadmill itself (the belt spinning backward at a high rate) and this increasing the stress on your Achilles/calves. And if your wearing flatter shoes the stress is magnified. I would "build up" carefully to this (in terms of both grade and speed).

In looking at your 5k and Mile PR's (assuming they are current), running hill sprints on any surface at 12.4mph (4 min mile) seems extreme and could further irritate your PF issues (in addition to stressing your Achilles/calves)?

As far as safety issues on the treadmill itself, my experience is that if your bigger (I'm 6'4" 200) and run fast (anything faster than 7:00 pace) you run into more issues (as the average usage is either someone walking or running but usually at 9:00 pace or less, and if someone is running faster they are usually 150 lbs or less). If you smell an electrical smell or feel the belt shimmying, my experience is that is a telltale sign the belt requires maintenance and you need to stop immediately and find another machine (as that machine is unsafe at faster speeds and very likely to stop cold without warning -- which has happened to me several times on several different treadmills in different gyms until I figured this out).

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Running fast on a treadmill is going to get you hurt if you don't know what you're doing.

If you're looking for quality of workout, then you should focus on building your heart rate.

You can easily get to a running heart rate while walking on an incline. All you have to do is add

a weight vest to balance speed and incline adjustments and you can achieve the same aerobic training at much

safer belt speeds

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

an amazing likeness

Sport Jester! Welcome back old chap, it's been a while. Hope you've been well.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

very well actually....

A gracious thank you for the reply.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

Running on a treadmill at ANY speed is EXTREMELY dangerous.    If you're not careful, or if you are on it for more than five minutes, you risk your brain going into a complete and permanent vegatative state of mind!    Be afraid, be very afraid!