Richmond Marathon (Read 492 times)

BostonRnr

Is anyone out there running Richmond this weekend? I signed up after NY was cancelled. Everything I've read about it looks really positive and they have been very welcoming to NY marathoners.

I'm in (wave 1, with all the other 3:45-or-better wannabes).  We've got 2-3 local guys going, one who's run Richmond a couple times and also visits frequently.  There are some hills around 8-12mi, and the bridge at ~16mi is completely wind-exposed (so draft shamelessly!).  Otherwise, it's supposed to be a pretty friendly course, well-organized, nice size, and with good spectator turnout.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Best Present Ever

It's a nice race.  Lots of local runners go there every year.  I've never run the full but about everyone else I know has.  I'd call the course flat, but I guess there are a few hills. Not very hilly hills, really.  Well organized, nice touches like wet washcloths late in the race.  I suspect there will be some glitches as they didn't expect the big influx of runners that happened after NY closed. I saw, for example, that they may not have finishers medals at the finish for everyone.  

MrH

Is anyone out there running Richmond this weekend? I signed up after NY was cancelled. Everything I've read about it looks really positive and they have been very welcoming to NY marathoners.

So long as you don't tell them you're a Yankee, you should be fine.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

I suspect there will be some glitches as they didn't expect the big influx of runners that happened after NY closed. I saw, for example, that they may not have finishers medals at the finish for everyone.  

Yeah, they'd already planned things based on their registration numbers, and then the NYC influx occurred.  Bib markings have been implemented, and the later registrants will have finisher medals mailed (regardless of finishing time -- if your bib has The Late Registrant Mark, you don't get a medal handed to you).

My main worry is that the aid stations may not be adequately staffed/equipped for the higher-than-anticipated volume of competitors.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

So they're going to have a race and only give medals to the faster runners? What kind of elitist prejudice is that?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

So they're going to have a race and only give medals to the faster runners? What kind of elitist prejudice is that?

LOL.

I'll be in the crowd for Richmond.  Going to support some training buddies.  As Mo3 wrote, it's usually well organized and enjoyed.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

BostonRnr

Thanks, everyone! I don't mind not getting the medal right away. I'm just happy that they have been so accommodating. I can see why they call it "America's Friendliest Marathon."

Best Present Ever

My main worry is that the aid stations may not be adequately staffed/equipped for the higher-than-anticipated volume of competitors.

I suspect that will be fine.  They are pretty well organized, and i think that getting water/snacks is something they can manage on a short deadline.  A few years ago there were parking issues -- the problems were actually mostly out of the organizer's control -- and I'm thinking that traffic/parking/general congestion at the start could be issues.