how many miles did you get out of your running shoes? (Read 1393 times)

Pink Bunny

Pink Bunny

how many miles should you expect out of your running shoes? how many did your most reliable and durable shoe get before utter destruction?

"Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. and let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing." -James 1:2-4

C-R

Depends on the runner. I've retired shoes with over 1300 miles simply because the uppers were destroyed and I've retired some shoes with as little as 60 miles because they hurt my feet/ankles/lower leg....

It seems the best gauge is use a shoe until you notice it is uncomfortable either during or post run. IMO.

Shoe companies tend to say 300-400 miles per shoe, but note they benefit from increased turn-over so you should take that into consideration.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

TRC

I'm 180+ and have over 500 miles onsome nb 890s... Best training shoe I've ever had...

I try to have 1 older pair in the mix and while having 1 good faithful broken in but not broken down pair available for long runs.

A general rule I use is no long runs on new shoes or old ones.  The general definition of new for me is <50 miles and old is >350 miles. 

But I'll continue using old shoes on short runs and on the treadmill until I decide to reitre them for whatever reason.  450 seems to be about the end for mine. 

(210-220 pounds here if that matters)

Just a dude.

My Asics Gel Pulse 2s have about 750 miles on em, and they seem to be going strong.  Most of the time, I've been over 200 lbs.

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

I've been in Mizuno Riders for over 3 years.  I'm lucky to reach 300 miles before my knees start getting achy.  I've heard others say they get close to the same with Riders.  I've also heard people in other models of shoes get 600+.  I guess it depends on the shoe.

Depends on the runner. I've retired shoes with over 1300 miles simply because the uppers were destroyed and I've retired some shoes with as little as 60 miles because they hurt my feet/ankles/lower leg....

It seems the best gauge is use a shoe until you notice it is uncomfortable either during or post run. IMO.

I was just mulling this over on a run the other day, in shoes with >400mi on them.  Normally, I think I wear shoes out pretty quickly.  But I rotate 3 (really, it's 4 right now!) different pairs.  So any one worn-out pair only gets to abuse my legs once every 4-5 days.  It occurred to me that I might not notice that the shoes have gone off when I get to sample them so infrequently.  Then again, maybe I can keep using worn-out shoes if they don't get to beat me up as often ...

Ultimately, I expect to get some other stupid injury before the shoes become a concern.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Why is it sideways?

Like TRC, I am loving the NB 890s. I am on my 5th pair, which is a new record in shoe fidelity for me. I haven't been getting a ton of miles out of them, maybe 350 or 400. 

I ran 1200 miles in a pair of ASICS cumulus one time and felt like I could kept going--there was nothing really wrong with them.

I also ran 1000+ in a pair of ASICS 5k flats--I'm not sure what they were called, but they were from Japan as they had kanji on them--when training for my first marathon. Sometimes you get a shoe that breaks in exactly right, and it just works. Other times, not so much. I'm not sure whether the model makes much difference.

Sees-the-Ground

barefootin'

I bought some New Balance running shoes about 2000 miles ago.  They are still in pretty good shape.

Bill Wagnon / stl

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I was just mulling this over on a run the other day, in shoes with >400mi on them.  Normally, I think I wear shoes out pretty quickly.  But I rotate 3 (really, it's 4 right now!) different pairs.  So any one worn-out pair only gets to abuse my legs once every 4-5 days.  It occurred to me that I might not notice that the shoes have gone off when I get to sample them so infrequently.  Then again, maybe I can keep using worn-out shoes if they don't get to beat me up as often ...

This all applies to me as well (including the part about not being sure about the effect on myself), except 4-5 pairs.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

MoBramExam

I bought some New Balance running shoes about 2000 miles ago.  They are still in pretty good shape.

Do you wear them when you run?

northernman

Fight The Future

I was just mulling over the possibility that different pairs of (identical brand and model) shoes are not the same. I recently bought two pairs of new ASICs 2160's, and I'm pretty sure that one of them makes my calves sore and the other doesn't at all. Strange, but I guess that's the sort of quality control you get these days.

Maybe why I run some pairs down to about 650 or 700 miles, and others only get to 300 before I can't take them anymore

Lazy idiot

I've got 3 active pair that are at 600+ miles, and they all feel the same or better than they did the day I brought them home.  I usually pull shoes out of rotation when they fall apart.

Tick tock

jeffdonahue

I used to use some Asics adn got 500 out of them (even went as far as 700, but stuff was starting to hurt there by the end).

Lately I've been in a lightweight trainer (Adizero and Asics) and get anywhere from 300-400 on them.  though the pair I'm in right now has about 500, but I really think I need to change them, I just havent made it to the store yet.

I replace mine in the 400-500 mile neighborhood but that is probably because I like new shoes.  If something gets sore and my shoes are in the 450 range I say "must be time to replace the shoes", if they are in the 200 range I attribute it to something random and wait for it to heal.  I imagine a lot of the times when I blame the shoes it wasn't their fault.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.