Running too slow? (Read 1179 times)

I just got back into running a couple months ago, and to liven things up have been running with partners for 2-3 of my 5 runs per week.  However, the two girls I run with run a good bit slower than I usually run.  My typical runs are 7.5-8.5 min/mile, but I run 9-10.5 min/mile with them (right now, for ~14 of my 40 mpw).

I've figured that this is a good way to get some miles in with a low chance of getting injured, but want to make sure that it won't hurt my training goals (sub-3:00 marathon in October).  Do you see any issues with my approach?

No problem.

Runners run.

Feeling the growl again

As long as this does not compromise your core workouts or form the bulk of your easy miles -- which it does not appear to, at 14-of-40 -- I don't see any issues with it.

I used to do 4-8 mpw of 80-100 mpw at 10-12 min/mi pace with my wife, my pace is sub-7.  I never felt I was giving up anything...I'd typically add a few miles at my own pace on at the end too.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I do a lot of my off days at significantly slower pace. I usually do a few strides in between  or at the end which helps with leg turnover.

I've been focusing hard on my intervals/tempo runs/hill work, pushing those extremely hard. Then on my other runs I typically don't even bother timing myself -- easy means easy.

Net result: My interval splits are getting faster, my 5k/10K trials are MUCH faster, and I don't feel as burned out as I did last summer. So i think you might actually benefit from spending some time running with others at a considerably slower pace.

Jo Carnegie

Add some speed drils to your easy runs.