New Running shoes (Read 64 times)

It's that time again, a new pair of running shoes. I think that looking for running shoes is the worst part of running. Hundreds of dollars spent on a pair that you won't know you like until you got 100+ miles in them. I don't know how many pairs of (almost) brand new shoes I have donated to goodwill because of one issue or another. Currently I run on these bad boys. (obviously they don't make them anymore)

http://www.amazon.com/Adidas-Adizero-Rocket-Runwhite-Running/dp/B004M3W3PG/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_img_13?ie=UTF8&refRID=15MZXBGSPJG97JXFQ649

(Link is Safe)

Literally, the best shoe I have ever owned. I'm a firm believer in using a shoe until you literally can see your toes through the front. I've got easily over 2,000 on these and used over 2 bottles of shoe glue to keep them together but the time has come. I'm a very natural runner who doesn't like a whole bunch of heal but likes enough cushion in the front to absorb some long milage. I wouldn't consider myself a pure forefoot runner but am far from a heal striker. These shoes are exactly what I'm seaching for. I've got some Zero drop shoes (adizero Gazelle) but didn't have enough cushion in the front, resulting in a lingering shin splint/stress fracture.

I don't trust the guy's at the Running store. Some college kid doesn't understand my needs and desires or concerns. I don't log a sick amount of mileage, but when I run my 45+/week I like to stay injury free and most importantly, Comfortable in my own running stride.

Does anyone have any suggestions on shoes, input, websites, deep websites that sell old shoes that aren't made anymore, some who makes running shoes tailored to a specific runner? Any direction is helpful.

runmichigan

If you are willing to reconsider I would strongly recommend going to a running specialty store.  Most of them do a good job of taking your needs and desires in consideration when dong a running form analysis and recommending shoes.

I completely agree with runmichigan. If you have a specialty store that is in the area, go there and if you can bring in the shoes you have liked so much over the last few years, I would bring those too. Most places are pretty good about making recommendations based on what someone has been in at one point or another. 45 mpw is very solid mileage - no one would blow that off as chump change.

Adidas has gone all in on using the Boost cushioning material which you may or may not like as it is very light and springy, but has a much different feel than the old Adiprene that they used in the past. Other models that may feel similar to what you had (all prices are MSRP; some of them may be getting close to the end of the model year and have reduced prices as a result):

adidas Adios Boost 2 - $140.00 (Technically a racing flat, but lightweight and pretty durable nonetheless as it is designed to be able to handle the marathon distance).

Brooks PureFlow 4 - $110.00 (Part of the Brooks PureProject with a 4mm offset and just enough cushioning to get some decent miles out of them).

Brooks Launch - $100.00 (Straight up lightweight trainer, 10mm offset).

Saucony Kinvara 6 - $100.00 (Saucony's flagship lightweight/natural model, 4mm drop)

Mizuno Wave Sayonara 3 - $110.00 (Lightweight, but a bit more shoe than the others on this list...replaced the Precision and Elixir a couple of years ago).

Pearl Izumi E:Motion Road N2 v2 - $120.00 (Light, slightly beveled midsole/outsole unit, 4mm offset).

New Balance Fresh Foam Zante - $100.00 (6mm offset, bouncy Fresh Foam compound in midsole unit...a little less cushion built in compared to the Boracay)

Nike Zoom Elite - $115.00 (Hybrid between a lightweight performance trainer and an everyday shoe, 8mm offset).

A few more that would be a little more of a leap of faith:

Newton Distance IV - $155.00 (Super light and very responsive, but you would need to hit the lugs when you land otherwise these shoes will break down quickly...while hitting on the lugs, it is not uncommon for people to get almost twice the normal mileage as their regular shoes. They also do not have much cushion to them, so your calves may take a bit of time to get used to them and the 2mm offset).

Newton Gravity IV - $175.00 (Ditto to above, except this model has a little more cushioning and a 3mm offset).

Hoka One One Clifton 2 - $130.00 (lots of stack height and a soft ride, but also lightweight and only 4mm heel-to-toe offset).

Happy hunting and Happy New Year!