Very new... should I go faster through the Coach25K scheme? (Read 912 times)

Yes, I started the coach25K scheme only yesterday... I'm new to running, but have done quite some biking/hiking. This first week of Coach25K seems very easy, and I didn't even feel slightly tired after this first attempt on running. I'd like to advance already to W2, but am a little bit afraid: my right knee really is my week spot. Since I have been hiking in the Pyrenees for three weeks with a heavy backpack (years ago already), my knee is always hurting during a steep descent in the mountains. Last month it took even a few days after I returned from a vacation in Switzerland, before I didn't feel that damned knee anymore (which is the reason I didn't start running a few weeks earlier... wanted that knee to be completely painless before I started that training program). So now my dilemma: I'd like to skip the rest of week1, because that scheme isn't challenging at all, and go straight to week 2, but on the other hand, there's that knee that makes me think it's maybe better to stick to week 1, and not to overdo my joints. Or am I to cautious?

Running in Belgium
    Ann

Wingz

Professional Noob

Hi, Ann! Welcome to running! What's your rush? I'm not familiar with the "coach25K" program, but typically a good beginning running program *will* start out at what will seem really easy to someone who's already in good shape. The thing you may be missing, though, is that running is a new kind of stress on the joints... and so while your cardiovascular system may be ready to do more, you knee, for example, may need some extra time to get used to what you're asking of it. My best advice to you would be to take it slow and stick with your program even though you want to do more. Think of it this way - if you can stay injury free *now*, you've got a much better chance of being able to enjoy running for years... maybe even a lifetime. Happy trails! Janell

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hard to say...I skipped the first two weeks and probably could have even skipped 3, because I had been doing kickboxing workouts for about a month prior to starting. But the knee issue does make your situation a bit sticky. Does your knee bother you when you are actually running? I guess you could always try day 1 of week 2 and just really pay close attention to how your knee feels--if it's tender go back to week 1. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I'm not familiar with the "coach25K" program
          Well... my fault..... I meant the rather well-known Couch-to-5K Running plan... but it's only now that I realise it's written 'couch', not 'coach'... That won't be my only error/mistake when writing/reading English....

Running in Belgium
          Ann

scrumhalfgirl

I considered myself a somewhat "In Shape" person, having been a competitive rugby player. However, in the past when I tried to start running, and pushed ahead in the Couch to 5K program, I never ended up sticking with it. So, this time - determined to really get into running - I started with Week 1, Day 1, and moved on from there - and I really stuck with it. I think that taking the slow pace ensured that I was always enjoying myself, and as a result - I kept with it. Now, that being said - I did fast track the program a bit by doing 4-5 runs per week. So, for example - in week 1, I actually did all of Week 1, and the first run from Week 2. Anyway, by the end of 4 weeks, I had completed 6 weeks of the program, running 25 minutes solid. So, from there, I just went on to build up my long continuous running. Anyway - that worked for me! Best of luck.

-Jess

Wingz

Professional Noob

Well... my fault..... I meant the rather well-known Couch-to-5K Running plan... but it's only now that I realise it's written 'couch', not 'coach'... That won't be my only error/mistake when writing/reading English....
              Doh! Oh! Yes! Gotcha! C25K! Don't worry - if that's the worst mistake you make you'll be just fine! Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...