Marathon Training (Read 1010 times)

I ran my first marathon last year and crashed at 19 miles, eventually finishing in 4:20. I was hoping for 4 hours.The plan I followed was for a novice, working generally on 25-30 miles per week, peaking around 35 miles. Advice following this was to increase training to 40-50 mile per week.  I am now about to do my second marathon 19th May, so from January I have tried to increase my mileage to a minimum of 40 per week in general. Mixed in with that, I have entered a few races - 2 half marathons, 1 x 20 mile, and a 10k. Additionally we have a local weekly 5k race which I take part in most weeks. The week before a race I have not done too much training so I was fresh for the race - this has made my weekly mileage and number of recent long runs fall for a period of 5/6 weeks - with hindsight this may not have helped my actual goal of increasing mileage/stamina for the marathon, but it has helped with keeping me motivated, as I have got PBs in every race I have done (except weekly 5k). Anyway, my question is regarding increasing my mileage. If I'm at work, I struggle get find time to get to 40 miles a week, though I have managed it. I could increase my mileage by running to/from work - it is 4 miles each way, though I can extend this to say 7 miles. If I did this 3 times a week (eg ran to work 4 miles then home 7 miles = 33 miles) would I get the benefit from it? I would be running 11 miles a day - would presumably this would not be as much quality as doing this in 1 11 mile run. Or would I just be doing a 4 mile run for the sake of it, making myself a bit tired for the evening run? Basically I would like to know what people's thoughts are on splitting runs into 2 sections over a day. 

an amazing likeness

so from January I have tried to increase my mileage to a minimum of 40 per week in general.

From your log, it doesn't look like you've really gotten this point consistently, at all.

Anyway, my question is regarding increasing my mileage. If I'm at work, I struggle get find time to get to 40 miles a week, though I have managed it....Basically I would like to know what people's thoughts are on splitting runs into 2 sections over a day. 

More short runs certainly wont "hurt", especially if they get you running more consistently. But time on your feet with steady state longer runs will have a big benefit at your current mileage level.

mta: I really, really stink at running marathons (so far), so take this with a massive dose of skepticism.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

You have 30 days till your marathon, not sure what you do right now will make a huge difference as you realistically have at most 2 weeks worth of training left.  That run on 4/15 suggests a sub 4 is quite possible..

However for you next race, you have plenty of speed, what you need is endurance, only way to get that is mileage and long runs.  Doubles help with the mileage and teach you to run on a bit tired legs.  If you can do a 2 hour run on Saturday  (increase to 2.5 hours slowly) followed by a 90 min run Sunday and run commute 8-11 miles (combined) couple of times a week, and a couple of other short easy runs of 40-45 min, you should get the sub 4 easily.  Closer to the marathon you can drop some of the mileage if you want to sharpen and run faster workouts.

I have run a total of 2 marathons, and am slower than you so not an expert by any means.

Hi Jason,

I agree that you still seem very light on the miles with your long run being like 70% of your weekly mileage.  However, it is an improvement from your last attempt!

The good news is that based on your last long run of 22 miles I would imagine that 4:00 is easily beatable this time around.

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

Bushrat Runner

It sounds like you are poised to do better on this run already, which is good because 30 days isn't a lot of prep time. I have done 10 mile days in marathon prep by running 2.5 to work, 5 at lunch, and 2.5 home to get me into the 50-70 mpw range for a few weeks. The difference for me was huge...beyond huge...but everybody responds to training differently and I did it starting three months out, not just the last 30 days.

I would try to get in two weeks of the higher miles along with long runs, then back off for the last two weeks, if I was in your shoes. But this plan will help you more on your next marathon than on this one...

Slo

Looking at your PR's up through the half marathon, you could be running a 3:20 marathon. Not for this next one but if you were to actually get your mileage up to where you are a 40+ mpw runner I don't think you would have a problem.

You could be running your 5k's in the low19's.

I have a marathon the same weekend you do. I am not at the fitness level I was last year but I'll be happy with something under a 3:30 this go around.

This week is really my last training week. Anything I could do to better my time is already past so now all we can really do is to hone that edge and sharpen whatever we got.

My first marathon I ran a 4:18, my 2nd was 3:45. My best was last year at 3:24. I've been a 40+ mpw runner for over 3 years now. I think getting a solid mid week long run 1.5hrs or more, every week is extremely important part of marathon training. This has been one of my biggest short comings this cycle. Doubles are a great way to get your mileage up but I don't think they provide the same benefit as that one mid week long run. I use the doubles at the beginning of my training but mid way thru try to concentrate on longer singular runs.

If getting your times down is really important to you then you'll figure out how to get the mileage in. The only trick to it is, you gotta what it.

Helpful advice, thank you. I didn't make it clear but I was referring to doing the additional miles for my next marathon, not this one. I recognise that there is little that can be done now to change anything drastically. As I managed 22 miles in 3:10 a few weeks ago and was doing  min miles at the end I should be able to do 4 hours - but anything can happen on the day!