What's causing body fatigue (Read 210 times)

zeppelin390

Hello all, my name is Scott and I have been running for about 2 months now. I'm past the "this sucks" phase, and have moved into the "holy crap, look at what I can do" phase.  I'm 40, recently quit smoking, and using C2K interval training to get to where I am now. I've done quite a bit of research on running, and it seems every site I go to has it's own opinion on proper form, function and nutrition. I use Myfitnespal to assure my proper caloric intake, and keep myself plenty hydrated; no yellow in this toilet. I use a heart rate monitor to ensure I stay within the proper zones I need at this time, but yet my body still seems to be disagreeing with what I am doing. I don't think it's lactic acid depletion, as I am keeping a relatively slow to medium pace, although I could very easily be wrong.

Anyways, any insight that can be offered will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

an amazing likeness

You're only 2 months (60 days) into a whole new exercise routine -- 60 days....it takes time for your fitness to build.  Your body needs to do a lot of growing new capabilities to build endurance. That's what's causing body fatigue.

Patience is your partner. Time on your feet is your other partner. Stay the course.  Your fitness and endurance will come with many plateaus.

Don't sweat all that hydration and nutrition stuff, eat healthy stuff, drink to thirst and you'll be fine.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

zeppelin390

Safe to assume the more weight I lose, the easier it will get? My legs seem to be the easiest to get fatigued.

Weight loss is my main goal here.

Zam

Your weight held the same. It will get easier if you consistently keep doing running or any exercise, for that matter. You will build strength year over year over year and see your abilities improve if you just be CONSISTENT. Consistency means different things for different people. It doesn't have to mean running every day. You will probably see improvements running 3, or perhaps even two days, per week.

At your early stage I wouldn't neglect improving overall fitness with basic bodyweight exercises. Do some jumping jacks, push-ups, squats, whatevers, etc. You are at a period in running where people tend to be prone to injury and investing in overall fitness will help you in running and getting laid.

Be careful about doing too much too quickly. It's easy to be super eager and injure yourself.  Our aerobic capacity develops fast and allows you to run more than your skeletomuscular stuff is ready for. Unless you have extensive experience in impact sports or jumping off of tall ladders.

Feeling the growl again

Consistency = success.

This is really a simple sport.  Especially if weight loss is your main goal.  Eat conservatively, worry more about the duration you spend running than anything else.  For calorie burn, pace is of little concern....if you go to fast you will run less, therefore burn fewer calories.

Focus on a) getting out there every day, and b) mixing it up.  Don't run the same pace/distance every day.  Have longer days, shorter days, faster days, slower days.  Your body will adapt with time.  60 days with nothing and if you are already past the "kill me now" phase you are doing very very well.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

zeppelin390

You are at a period in running where people tend to be prone to injury and investing in overall fitness will help you in running and getting laid.

Well, I do look forward to my new-found health, vigor and physique helping me get laid, and I appreciate your enthusiasm as well, lol.

Aside from that, everything you said sounds great. I guess I just want to make sure that I am not neglecting anything that may be adding to my bodies fatigue.

Feeling the growl again

Aside from that, everything you said sounds great. I guess I just want to make sure that I am not neglecting anything that may be adding to my bodies fatigue.

Horizontal festivities aside, it is correct that you can build your aerobic fitness faster than the rest of your body can keep up.  Don't be afraid to pause and consolidate your gains before continuing to add mileage and/or intensity.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

zeppelin390

Horizontal festivities aside, it is correct that you can build your aerobic fitness faster than the rest of your body can keep up.  Don't be afraid to pause and consolidate your gains before continuing to add mileage and/or intensity.

Yes, I understand. The C2K program has been quite effective in building up my tolerance to running. The "'strides" I have made since day 1 are amazing. I very much appreciate the gains I have made, and very much look forward to making more in the future.

The C2K program is nearing it's end, and I'm not quite sure what to do afterwards. Any suggestions?

Feeling the growl again

Yes, I understand. The C2K program has been quite effective in building up my tolerance to running. The "'strides" I have made since day 1 are amazing. I very much appreciate the gains I have made, and very much look forward to making more in the future.

The C2K program is nearing it's end, and I'm not quite sure what to do afterwards. Any suggestions?

Continue to add slowly.  First time/volume, the speed.  Frankly the speed will follow the time/distance with little conscious effort.  Pursue the goals that keep you motivated to be consistent.

GinnyinPA

If you like having a program, look up the Bridge to 10k or One Hour Runner programs online.

If not, just continue to run, gradually adding time and/or distance to your runs.  If you're doing 3 days a week now, add a fourth.  Add 1/2 mile to one of your runs.  Then to another.  Mix up your distances and your paces.  You can continue to run 3 miles three days a week or work toward running a 10k or half marathon.

You might also sign up for a 5k race.  They are fun and a good way of gauging your progress.  Run one now and again in a couple of months.  You'll be amazed at how much you improve in just a couple of months, if you are consistent in your running.

zeppelin390

So I saw the term "laid" in another post, but still have not caught on....even googled it.

What am I missing?

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

At your early stage I wouldn't neglect improving overall fitness with basic bodyweight exercises. Do some jumping jacks, push-ups, squats, whatevers, etc. You are at a period in running where people tend to be prone to injury and investing in overall fitness will help you in running and getting laid.

I'd encourage that, too, though there's no need to go nuts with it.  My knee started hurting early on in my running, and I attribute its alleviation to the strength training in the marathon plan I started shortly after.  Legs and core should be the focus.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

So I saw the term "laid" in another post, but still have not caught on....even googled it.

What am I missing?

I take it you are not a native English speaker?  Getting laid is slang for sex.

As to the weight training, keep in mind that right now you probably want to stick with light weight/high repetition type workouts.   Depending on your long term goals, you can switch to heavier weights later on, as your overall fitness improves.