Did you vote? (Read 615 times)

jfa

Still no power in my neighborhood, but the local firehouse still managed to allow us to vote there.

#artbydmcbride

Still no power in my neighborhood, but the local firehouse still managed to allow us to vote there.

That made me tear up, Joe.  So cool

Runners run

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I really prefer voting in person, on election day.  I like the sense of community and democracy in action.

As a kid in NY, I remember walking from class to class in our elementary, middle-school and high-school on election day and hearing the Chunk-Chunk of an adult pulling the lever behind the blue voting booth curtain.  This was coupled with in-school mock-elections for PODUS and a learning opportunity about issues and the electoral system.  The proximity to the civic event was great indoctrination to our future responsibilities as citizens.

In Virginia they give the kids Monday and Tuesday off.  Why?  Well, one thing I've heard is "to keep the kids safe".  When asked what that meant, several people indicated, "well, you know.  With all those strange adults around . . ."

Our society is governed by fear.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Best Present Ever

If nothing else, schools are closed because of logistics.  It was hard enough to park at the polling places yesterday. If school were in session, the parking lots would have been full of teachers' cars.*  Schools aren't closed for every election, I'm pretty sure (after 26 years of parenting in Virginia, you'd think I'd know this.)  Just the presidential elections.  Anyway, my kids went to an outdoor program and spent the day rappelling.  They were super happy and I didn't mind them missing an instructional day for that.  

I love voting in person.  I'm so happy to stand in line, thrilled to go through the formal "state your name and address" process, love handing my stuff over to the nice election officials, going into the booth, remembering how to dial the dialer voting thing-y.  And the I VOTED sticker just thrills me to my toes. I take 2 in case the first one falls off.  Voting by mail seems so sad to me.  I did read that Dan Savage held a voting party  at bar in Seattle -- bring your ballot, fill it out, and drop it in the mail in public.   That could have been fun, but it sitll isn't VOTING.  

* My husband was the point person for possible election fraud in the prosecutor's office and spent the day going from polling place to polling place making sure all was well.  Midday I checked in to see what problems were happening.  One very irate woman had made a complaint because she had to walk 10 blocks to vote!  That just wasn't right!  Someone needs to fix this problem! 

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

If there's one thing that Red and Blue can agree on, it's that the parking lot at polling places can extremely dangerous, given the high concentration of really old people driving really big cars.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

xor

>>In Virginia they give the kids Monday and Tuesday off.  Why?  Well, one thing I've heard is "to keep the kids safe".  When asked what that meant, several people indicated, "well, you know.  With all those strange adults around . . ."

I'm pretty sure that schools aren't closed because there are creepy adults roaming around that kids need to be protected from.  If that was truly the case, schools would be OPEN.

I don't think that's a reason to declare that our society is governed by fear, though it may be governed by fear.  I think that's a reason to declare that someone has bad reasoning.

>> That could have been fun, but it sitll isn't VOTING. 

Sure it is.  And I could list about 20 things I like about voting by mail more than standing in the damn line to talk to the old people to fill out my ballot while knowing there are 100 people behind me wanting me to hurry the fuck up.  If nothing else, I now participate in all those little elections that I heretofore ignored because they were a pain.  And I can spend the time weighing the candidates/initiatives/whatever while pondering research material before I fill in a bubble.  Beats the heck out of getting to the little table with the long line behind me and saying "wait, who is this person?" ...and either not voting on that line or (stupidly, what I did as a youngster and what lots of people still do) voting based on who has the better sounding name.  Etc etc etc.  My personal preference having now voted and per your lingo VOTED, and you can keep your lines.

If there's one thing that Red and Blue can agree on, it's that the parking lot at polling places can extremely dangerous, given the high concentration of really old people driving really big cars.

+1 LOL

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

>>In Virginia they give the kids Monday and Tuesday off.  Why?  Well, one thing I've heard is "to keep the kids safe".  When asked what that meant, several people indicated, "well, you know.  With all those strange adults around . . ."

I'm pretty sure that schools aren't closed because there are creepy adults roaming around that kids need to be protected from.  If that was truly the case, schools would be OPEN.

I don't think that's a reason to declare that our society is governed by fear, though it may be governed by fear.  I think that's a reason to declare that someone has bad reasoning.

My guess is it's a post-Columbine thing.  My sister graduated in '99 and I was home for her graduation.  My mom also worked at my alma mater and at least half of the teachers and staff knew and remembered me.  But I STILL had to go directly to the office to show my ID and had to wear a visitor ID badge for the entire duration of my visit to the school.

My son attends a small charter school and everyone knows everyone.  I still have to check in, sign my time in and time out, and wear a badge if I am stopping by in the middle of the day to bring him something he forgot or pick him up for an appt., etc.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Best Present Ever

My guess is it's a post-Columbine thing.  My sister graduated in '99 and I was home for her graduation.  My mom also worked at my alma mater and at least half of the teachers and staff knew and remembered me.  But I STILL had to go directly to the office to show my ID and had to wear a visitor ID badge for the entire duration of my visit to the school.

My son attends a small charter school and everyone knows everyone.  I still have to check in, sign my time in and time out, and wear a badge if I am stopping by in the middle of the day to bring him something he forgot or pick him up for an appt., etc.

I have to sign in at my son's school, but it's because they try to keep track of volunteer.hours.  I often just waltz in and no one stops me.  My parents find it strange that I wander into the elementary school and have lunch with the kids whenever I feel like it.  (it's not just me -- parents are welcome and there are usually a handful there for every class every time I go.)  When I was a kid, my parents only came on Official Parenting Visiting Times, and always for a specific function (awards, play, concert) or for pre-arranged helping out.  I don't think it's changed over time, but depends more on the school and area.  Or more accurately, I don't think either of us can see if it's changed over time because we only know the schools we know.  

The poll worker that greeted us started at 6am and already had a 13 hr day in. Staying until the polls closed at 9pm.

I was one of those poll workers that put in a 14 hour day yesterday. So many people complain about the average age of poll workers (I just turned 60 and am probably the "baby" in my group). Do you know why everyone is so old?  I think it's this generation that has experienced The Depression, a couple of world wars and believe in the power of democracy.  They also want to make sure that the process is carried on for future generations. They're also the only ones willing to work for 14 hours with one 1/2 hour break and have to listen to people complain about being disenfranchised. All this for $8.00 an hour...

Slo

I was one of those poll workers that put in a 14 hour day yesterday.

When I saw that you posted to this thread I said to myself..."I'll bet she worked the polls."

Thanks for being there Jlynne. We had a great group at my polling place.

Am I doing this right?

Did you vote?  It was a big turnout in my neck of the woods today.

Wait!  Did I miss that again?

No excuses....

#artbydmcbride

Wait!  Did I miss that again?

LOLZ!

Thanks Jlynne!   I am glad there were 'babies like you there!   Smile

Runners run

A Saucy Wench

Sure it is.  And I could list about 20 things I like about voting by mail more than standing in the damn line to talk to the old people to fill out my ballot while knowing there are 100 people behind me wanting me to hurry the fuck up.  If nothing else, I now participate in all those little elections that I heretofore ignored because they were a pain.  And I can spend the time weighing the candidates/initiatives/whatever while pondering research material before I fill in a bubble.  Beats the heck out of getting to the little table with the long line behind me and saying "wait, who is this person?" ...and either not voting on that line or (stupidly, what I did as a youngster and what lots of people still do) voting based on who has the better sounding name.  Etc etc etc.  My personal preference having now voted and per your lingo VOTED, and you can keep your lines.

+ 9 million

Especially since i am in a referendum state.  In a typical year there are between 8 and 20 initiatives.  Plus all the local races.  Plus we dont have to keep kids home from school after they just missed 4 days for a hurricane so some schools can be used as an election center.  (Not that a hurricane has ever hit Oregon but there WAS the Columbus day storm of 1962 that all storms will forever more be compared to and come up lacking)

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

rlemert

So many people complain about the average age of poll workers. Do you know why everyone is so old?

Just for the record, one of my Toastmaster's buddies was supposed to be working her polling place yesterday. She's probably in her early 40's.  (She's a self-employed 'lifestyles' coach, so she has more flexibility in her schedule.)