Decided to do March marathon ... now what? (Read 712 times)

I decided to do this marathon on March 9, 2008. If I start training December 1, that gives me approximately 12 weeks to train. I've been looking for a 12 week training schedule, but I can't find one that I like. I would like a program that lays it all out for me -- I'm not one to mix and match programs. Ideas/ suggestions for a training program? I'd like to go 3:45-3:50 at this one! (and then, god willing, go 3:40:59 in the fall Wink). My main concern, and there's nothing I can do about it, is the amount of mill running I'll have to do... we don't get snow/ ice around here until (if at all) February, but I can't run in the dark... which it is when I wake up and when I get home from work. I can obviously run outside on the weekends, but my weekday runs will be inside. Oh well, HTFU, right?!
    2009: BQ?

Is it just because its dark, or do you have safety concerns apart from the cars? Headlamps and reflective clothing and blinking armbands do a pretty good job of keeping you safe from the road, anyway.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Is it just because its dark, or do you have safety concerns apart from the cars? Headlamps and reflective clothing and blinking armbands do a pretty good job of keeping you safe from the road, anyway.
        Safety concerns Run, she lives in Baltimore and I believe there have been shootings close to her neighborhood. MTA: hope you don't mind Tricia that I answered your question for you Blush

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Half Fanatic #846

Hi - I've only posted a couple of times on RA but it's the BEST - (I may be somewhat "forum challenged"), but here's my 2 cents worth. Maybe it will help. I recently spent a few weeks on the FIRST (Furman Institute) Marathon program, and although it consists of only 3 days running & 2 days x-training a week, I found the workouts a little too intense/hard (for me). So, I changed to Runner's World "Smart Coach", which I'm liking a lot better. The thing about it that may interest you is that you can customize your training program by selecting the exact number of weeks you want to train - this is one reason I liked the concept; I can decide to run an upcoming race (even on short notice) and the RW computer automatically makes taining adjustments in the schedule based on the length of time you select for a particular race, how hard you want to train, etc. I've read a few negative, but mostly positive reviews on other forums about Smart Coach. I guess it just depends on your goals and preferences.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

mikeymike

Trishie, Here's My Plan for Boston. It is essentially the same plan I used for Hartford, but with different tune-up races. You'll notice it's 12 weeks. You'll also notice it's not all that imaginative. It's all based on a mid-week medium long run with some speed mixed in, and a weekend long run that usually includes a race or some race-paced running. And a bunch of easy runs on the other days--the mileage numbers are mostly place holders and I tend to edit as I go based on how I'm feeling. But you get the idea. You could modify this and scale it to your own mileage. Training for a marathon is really not all that complicated. Just some ideas, hope it helps. Mike

Runners run

Since you're already in shape from the last marathon you ran, if you have a longer schedule you like, you could just use the last 12 weeks of that one.
              CherryDG

Since you're already in shape from the last marathon you ran, if you have a longer schedule you like, you could just use the last 12 weeks of that one.
                I signed for the National Marathon (3/29) and was rather clueless on what training program to use so I figured I'd resuse my last one. But, after looking at the Runner's World Smart Coach and also MikeyMike's training plan, I noticed that neither have runs over 20 miles. The training program that the group I joined gave me (which was for 1st timers) had a couple long runs of 20 and one at 22. What has everyone's experience been as far as the number of 20 or 20+ mile runs? Do most people typically do a long run of over 22 miles?
                muse_runner

keep running.

Stella I did 1 training run of 22 miles last year. It was brutal. I think 20 milers are good 'nuff for me.
                  running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
                  muse_runner

keep running.

T-- I am impressed you're doing another marathon. Holy shoot. I am not even ready to do the ONE I'm training for and here you are ready for more. I wish I had more mojo.... as usual... anyhow I think mid-week indoor running will just make it easier for you to get to work on time and it will also make your long long runs outdoors that much more enjoyable.
                    running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
                    mikeymike

A single long run of 22 miles or more will not make or break you. Long term base mileage is much more important. Also, I don't do my long runs at a slow pace--they are my biggest, most marathon specific workouts of the week. And as I said, the numbers are mostly place holders. I may, if I have time, turn one or two of those 20's into 22 or 23s but it's not critical. Before Hartford my longest run in 3.5 years was 20 miles. That's not to say that very long runs can't help you but it's about priorities.

Runners run

Hi Trishie, Congratulations on your last marathon! And you're already signing up for another one? I think you and I have the same goal time to get to Boston. Only you seem to be a bit more realistic in your goal setting than I have been. I always shoot for 3:40 and wonder why I come up short when my best time was 4:09 in June 2006. Black eye But, here I am again, training for Tucson Marathon in December with a major goal of 3:40 and a minor goal of 3:50 and a back up goal of just getting a PR. Anyway, I put together a plan based on Pete Pfitzinger's Advanced Marathoning book. I can't remember how many 20 mile runs it had in it originally, but I've been trying to do more longer runs because I do great with goal time for up to 17-19 miles then I slow way down. For me, I feel I need a combo of more mileage totals in my weekly mileage and more longer runs. My longest so far this season was a trail marathon in October (my sis and I took it easy...though it wasn't easy easy since it was still a trail race) and a 23 miler last weekend. We'll see if that makes a difference for me.
                        Eryn

mikeymike, I like your keep it simple plan. what's the difference between a 'progression' and a 'big progression' on your long runs?

Some runners drag a tire. I drag a Great Pyrenees.

mikeymike

mikeymike, I like your keep it simple plan. what's the difference between a 'progression' and a 'big progression' on your long runs?
                            It's sort of just matter of effort. Usually when I say 'progression' run it means I run the first half or so at an easy pace and then run the last half as a progression run--running each 2-mile split a bit faster than the one before it. A 'big progression' means I do the whole thing right from the start as one long progression, and also I'm generally going harder at the end. In a 'big progression' the increases in pace have to be a lot more gradual in order to keep it going all the way to the end.

Runners run

GP160

Trish, congrats on signing up for another marathon. YOU GO GIRL!!!
                              Ironman Louisville 8-30-09