hamstrung (Read 78 times)

Gadus

I am male, 44 yrs old (soon) and 3+ weeks into a new running routine, which originated on the treadmill and moved outdoors two days ago. This morning at about mile one-which was an 8 minute pace but should have been slower-I felt a slight twinge in my left hamstring. I immediately stopped running and proceeded to walk the remaining 4 miles at a leisurely pace with no ill effects. Strain obviously a bit more acute on the hills. I then spent the day cutting and stacking wood and laying some hardwood flooring, actually the most intensely physical day in a while. Currently feeling nothing unusual, no pain in my hamstring but am dreading waking up to something that manifests in the night.

I am not prone to hamstring pulls nor do I have any other chronically injured areas.

My plan was to just walk my five daily miles until no discomfort was evident and then try to run easy but immediately stop if anything recurs. Does this make sense to people? I have yet to ice it but I did take some naproxen for my tennis elbow.

an amazing likeness

My plan was to just walk my five daily miles until no discomfort was evident and then try to run easy but immediately stop if anything recurs. Does this make sense to people? I have yet to ice it but I did take some naproxen for my tennis elbow.

Yes, makes sense. Hamstring challenges can be chronic / constant for some runners due to the natural imbalance between quad and hamstring strength -- suggest you read up on (1) strengthening routines, and (2) stretching routines.  Make hamstring conditioning part of your routine now, before you have to take months off and rehab a serious pull / strain / tear.

Also, pay attention to your running form to help prevent hamstring issues, get your foot plant under your hip -- early in your running 'career' most folks tend to overstride to try and go faster.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Gadus

Thanks mt. I consider myself lucky it was not worse, considering the shot-out-of-a-cannon, imbecilic beginning.  I'm walking now and will be until things loosen up again. Working on getting the weight bench attachment together for hamstring curls which I used to do, along with the reverse (extensions). Also thinking about just continuing on the treadmill for a while, when it's functioning. In this interim, I did read that treadmill running is much easier on the body-and that was certainly borne out by what I felt at the switch to outdoors running.