New to braces and race nutrition q? (Read 76 times)

One2Run

I am training for my first half at the end of May and our long runs are getting to 16-18kms (sorry, Canadian here), and I just had upper braces put on his morning. I've also got Invisalign on the bottoms (retaining mostly).

Just looking for some fueling suggestions if anyone has experience with race fueling with braces. I was previously using Shot Bloks or Honey Stinger chews with good results. I'm thinking they aren't so good for the upper arch now.

I've never done Gu, I have texture aversions and it kind of scares me. Wink

Help?

I haven't had braces, but if you really need nutrition on the longer runs, you can either do a simple sports drink or dissolve gel/gu in water (PowerGel works well for this).

You might also try going without the nutrition for that length of run.  Even if you're running them hard, it's not likely you actually need to take in calories on them, unless you're glycogen-depleted before you start.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
      Emil Zatopek

keeponrunning

I'm about the same stage of training you are, except my half is at the beginning of May and it's not the first time I've been trained to run the distance.  Seeing as it's still fairly cold here in Canada, I've been fine without nutrition on the long runs.  However, as it gets warmer I will probably use a sports drink to help counteract the amount of salt I lose through sweat (I'm a heavy sweater).

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

If you don't like gels "as is", I agree with rgilbert to use a flask and dissolve the gels in water to make them more liquid.

Or use a sports drink, or diluted juice with a small amount of salt.

It will depend on the temperature whether you'll need a lot of fluid, or run just without anything. Food is not really necessary, but if you feel hungry during the run, or want an extra boost, the diluted gel should work fine.

You can also try watermelon or orange, cut into small pieces.

Run for fun.

jebl00

I just got out of my braces (top & bottom) and I used the shot bloks for all my long training runs and marathons.  The only time I had trouble was when the temperature dropped below 40, then they got a lot harder to chew and really stuck to the braces.  At that point I cut them into smaller pieces and that seemed to work.  Never had a problem with them pulling any brackets off.  Not sure how they will work with the invisalign retainer though.  Maybe take it out when you run?

You might also try going without the nutrition for that length of run.  Even if you're running them hard, it's not likely you actually need to take in calories on them, unless you're glycogen-depleted before you start.

I would also question why you need to fuel a 16-18km run at all.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I would also question why you need to fuel a 16-18km run at all.

If you're used to such distances over 10 miles, you don't need food, and on cool days you don't even need a drink. But if you're still new to the distance, or if you run on tough trails, or if it's a hot day, a little bit of food and some drink won't hurt.

Once you get used to the distance, you'll cut back anyway, because you won't need as much any more.

Run for fun.

One2Run

Thanks everyone. I'm new to this distance and more thinking ahead to race day when it's likely to be bloody hot. I want to do all the experimenting now so there are no surprises in store. I'm more concerned with having enough energy as I have chronic fatigue due to MS.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Thanks everyone. I'm new to this distance and more thinking ahead to race day when it's likely to be bloody hot. I want to do all the experimenting now so there are no surprises in store. I'm more concerned with having enough energy as I have chronic fatigue due to MS.

Kudos for beating the MS!!

You are absolutely right about not depleting your energy like most runners can do. That could be harmful for you, so take some food on your longer runs, and maybe always carry some extra with you, so you won't bonk.

Run for fun.