What's the longest you've battled bronchitis? (Read 85 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I had a cold that started 18 days ago and rapidly moved into my chest.  3 days ago I had an appt. with my allergist and he suspected walking pneumonia, so had me start on Z-Pak.  It's not really had any effect, so I'm guessing what I have is just viral…bronchitis, most likely (which was my initial assumption, as I've never had walking pneumonia, just the wish-I-were-dead kind).

So I'm wondering how long I might expect this shit to linger (I'm asthmatic, which just sorta adds fuel to the fire).  Dec. was a near loss for me in terms of training (surgery early in the month, nephew's illness and subsequent passing, Christmas, then coming down with the cold on the 30th) and my volume and intensity in '14 are greatly reduced.  I'm really starting to get downright pissed about it, since there seems to be no end in sight and I've sacrificed nearly 2 months of Winter fat bike races for this shit.  I've now lost so much fitness that I'm pretty much already writing off Feb., as well.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Latent Runner

I managed to come down with bronchitis when I was in Marine OCS back in 1977, and while I managed to graduate, barely, it really affected my ability to perform.  I was a ripe old 20 at the time and was pretty much able to shrug off the illness in less than a month.

Fast forward to 1989, I was working on a project which required over 100 hours per week while at the same time I had an ill girlfriend who required surgery; between lack of sleep and the start of flu season, I developed a cough which turned into bronchitis, which I ignored because I didn't have time to get sick, and then ended up with walking pneumonia.  The antibiotics managed to kill off the pneumonia in two weeks or so, however, it was at least a couple of months before I was able to run again, and even then I would hack up huge quantities of colorful stuff; I'm thinking the hacking, while gradually diminishing, lasted nearly a year.

Sorry to paint such a bleak picture, that was just one guy's experience.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
      • 2-mile: 13:49
      • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
      • 5-Mile: 37:24
      • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
      • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
      • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Blech.  I really hope this doesn't end up lingering THAT long, ouch!  I'd much rather be sick as a dog for a week and be done with it than this garbage.  I don't feel at all sick, but just wiped-out and unable to do much faster than a walk without hacking and sputtering.  My allergist temporarily put me on COPD levels of my inhaled steroid/long-acting bronchodilator, but it doesn't really seem to make a difference.

~ Sarah Kay

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I had bronchitis in 66, as a 19yo Navy Seabee Construction Electrician in Vietnam. It took about 3 weeks to clear up once I got it diagnosed. Don't recall how long I waited to go to sick call. I'd guess not to quickly because I always had nasal drip (still do) and other cold like symptoms all the time from mild allergies. So probably had it for a month or maybe more.  Its not one that goes easily either! I was given aspirin and directed to drink lots of juice and given a chit to get 2 cans/day from the chow hall. That was it for treatment. I think idea was to flush my system or some such. I do recall starting to feel better sooner rather than later. I know I wanted off light duty well before I was declared healed. Hated the generator room and wanted to get command of my fire team back and on the job! Stupid young man! LOL

bob e v
          2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I had bronchitis in 66, as a 19yo Navy Seabee Construction Electrician in Vietnam. It took about 3 weeks to clear up once I got it diagnosed. Don't recall how long I waited to go to sick call. I'd guess not to quickly because I always had nasal drip (still do) and other cold like symptoms all the time from mild allergies. So probably had it for a month or maybe more.  Its not one that goes easily either! I was given aspirin and directed to drink lots of juice and given a chit to get 2 cans/day from the chow hall. That was it for treatment. I think idea was to flush my system or some such. I do recall starting to feel better sooner rather than later. I know I wanted off light duty well before I was declared healed. Hated the generator room and wanted to get command of my fire team back and on the job! Stupid young man! LOL

Ha!

Yeah, Mucinex and pounding fluids seems to be about all that can really be done.  Hot toddies have been good, too. Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I got bronchitis for the first time in 1993.  It was horrible and lasted several months.  Then I got it again the next year!  For quite a few more years, I got a really bad cough every fall.  But it finally went away and I very rarely cough anymore.  It was really horrible.

A Saucy Wench

6-8 weeks is pretty typical for me.  I have found I do better if I avoid all cold medicine/decongestants/antihistamines.  This season I've kept it more in the 2-3 week range.  Last year at week 6 I went in for the standard "If it lasts 6 weeks we want to check and make sure it isnt pneumonia" got given albuterol repeatedly and it took 5 months to recover.  Turns out I am allergic to albuterol.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Turns out I am allergic to albuterol.

Wow. I literally would be dead. For sure not running; I take albuterol before every single run, if I don't it is noticeable within a couple miles.

Zoomy - this kind of thing can be tough for asthmatics, anything in your lungs hits us harder than the average person. Every 2-3 years I will get some kind of cold or respiratory infection, which will evolve into a condition that essentially feels like a continuous asthma attack. I don't know whether you call it bronchitis or what. I will need albuterol repeatedly throughout the day, and will go on prednisone and/or Advair. It can last for several months. Eventually I am able able to wean myself off the Advair, although sometimes takes a few tries before I can do that without relapsing.

Hope you have better luck!

Dave

I've gotten bronchitis each of the past couple of years, and it lasted a little over month each time.  I made the mistake of thinking I could continue running through it, but that led to coughing fits so bad that I popped something in my ribcage.  Which made the coughing even more painful and sneezing a near-death experience.   Extra-strength Mucinex seemed to be the only thing that stopped the coughing enough to let me sleep.   Of course, I didn't have asthma to throw into the mix.  I would say don't try to work out until you're better, as depressing as that sounds.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR