a few questions from a 275 lb newb (Read 962 times)

fatty

Ok I'm new here and I have just finished my first run on couch to 5k. Exactly 1 year ago I started running and worked my way up from nothing to about 2.5 miles in 2-3 weeks before going on vacation and completely ruining my motivation and progress and quitting. I'm 32 years old very motivated and I want this bad. I know I can do it and I feel better after I run even though it sucks during the runs. Anyway last time I didn't use a C25k program I just ran and pushed my self when I needed to at intervals. While listening to the C25k program tonight Ray said at the 5th running interval "You shouldn't be out of breath or tired". I have to admit I wasn't tired really but I was out of breath. Im concerned that maybe I was pushing myself to hard. Im somewhat overweight Roll eyes Ok alot My 30 min work out resulted in 1.75 miles of distance. I kind of expected to be out of breath am i wrong? BTW I smoked for 15 years and quit about 1.5 years ago.
    Goal: quit smoking - complete Goal:Finish C25k Goal: Run and Finish a 5K
      while not exactly a C25K expert, from what I have read here, about that program and running in general...all easy runs and base building runs should be run slow enough that you could carry on a conversation with someone. Now for me, at the beginning, that was barely more than a walking pace, more like shuffling really. I am still VERY slow by most standards. But this weekend I was able to run 5 miles, and still converse with my sister-in-law in the last .5 of it. (my legs are angry with me today, but that's another story Smile Try slowing down your run pace. That should help.

Jazz hands!

Agreed-slow down, possibly way way down. Don't feel bad if you need to repeat weeks to get to where you need to be breathing-wise. I think most people repeat weeks on the C25K (I did). And I'm skeptical about that talking while running thing. I always feel like maybe I could, but research has shown that I can't talk while walking and not get out of breath, and I'm pretty sure I'm aerobically ok with that.
        run run run AHHHHHH run run run

De-slacking in progress

I just finished the C25K program this week. BEFORE I started the program I had a BMI of over 38. So I started out by walking on the treadmill for a few months, slowing increasing the distance and speed until I got to a point where the thought got into my head to try to run on the treadmill. By that time, I had dropped 40#. I'm still overweight, but now the running doesn't punish my knees like it would had 40# ago. Before C25k (10 weeks ago) I couldn't run 10 ft. Now I can run at least 4 miles. Believe me- once you start running that chunk of tar in the bottom of your lungs will break up. (29 yrs worth here)

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

The C25K is a well designed program to help new runners become runners without getting injured or discouraged. It does that by giving them a written schedule to follow that increases the distance and intensity of their runs in a gradual and controlled manner. What the program can't control and what most new runners have trouble with is pace, most run WAY too fast for their level of conditioning. All of your runs should be at a slow "conversational" pace. In other words you should run at a pace where it is difficult but not impossible to carry on an intelligible conversation. If you can't do that while running you need to slow down even if it means more walking than the program suggests, you should never be totally out of breath at any time during your run. If you find yourself struggling, don't be afraid to repeat a week. It's not a race and there is no prize for finishing early or even on time. Take the time to allow your body to safely adjust to the schedule. Since you are overweight, weight loss is likely one of your reasons for tackling the C25K. Be advised that this program or any beginner's running program will do little to help you lose weight. In fact, many new runners actually gain weight during the program. The reason is twofold: It's not physically possible for a new runner to run enough miles to burn very many calories and running tends to increase their appetite which encourages them to eat more than they need. If you want to lose weight, diet is the most important factor not exercise. It's a heck of a lot easier to consume calories that it is to burn them off through exercise. For example: a burger, fries and a Coke at your favorite fast food restaurant might net you 700-800 calories but to burn that many calories while running would require at least a 5 mile jaunt. Remember that a pound of fat contains 3500 calories and at a burn rate of 100 to 150 calories per mile it's going to take a long time and a lot of running to lose that pound unless you combine running with responsible eating habits. In my experience, I've never noticed any loss in weight until my mileage got in the 30-35 mile per week range. Run for fitness, eat less to lose weight. Tom

Former runner

Check out the group for weight loss here. http://www.runningahead.com/groups/jiggly_joggers/ It's a good source of support and info. I started the C25K program at about 230 lbs. Those first few weeks can be the hardest. Like the others said, don't be afraid to repeat a week or two.

Ross

Best of Luck to you Newbie Runner! I am still fairly New myself, and a C25K Grad last November. You can do it, stay SLOW, and build the endurance. I also Echo what Tom AKA Figbash says, you must not rely on the Running alone to get the weight off. I think all folks who are doing this to lose weight expect that it will happen right away, and when it does not, they " RUN FASTER" to make it burn more.... Huge mistake. I wanted it really bad too for the weight loss in the beginning, but quickly realized that running was a fitness tool, not the answer to getting my weight off. You will need to run about ( purely and average here) 20+ miles per week to really get into some serious calorie burn, and even then, if you eat too much of the wrong stuff, you will just be compensating. Running is very Addictive, and I am now comfortably training for my first Half Marathon, and enjoying the benefits of increasing mileage with some weight loss, and muscle toning. Stay Slow, Patient, and enjoy the Journey! You have alot of great people here to help you out along the way. Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

flatland mountaineer

You are getting good replies, the only thing I would add is C25K says run for distance OR run for time, not both. And yes slow down, you are doing great and congrats for getting out there!!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Already a lot of good info given and I don't have a ton to add to that. I would however, like to chime in with some encouragement. You and I are running twins! At the same age (but 10+ pounds heavier!) I started running a little over two years ago. That was over 65 pounds ago. My blood pressure is down, cholesterol and trigyceride levels are normal, resting heart rate in the mid 50s and I'm running over 30 miles per week. You can do this. the secret is consistency, not blistering hardcore workouts (although they all seem that way early on). Diet is the key to weight loss. Running is the key to fitness. Be consistent, stay close, post often and you're get there.
                    colinw

I don't have anything else to add except encouragement either! I started the C25K at the beginning of March of this year at 250 pounds. I am now about 235 and feel great, with a lot more to lose. My longest run to date is about 8.5k and it took around 52 minutes, so I am certainy not setting the land speed record anytime soon. What shocked me is that I am able to actually run for that long and that far. Like you I had tried in the past to "run" by just going out and going as far as I could without thinking I was going to die. I then decided I hated running and quit. With the structure of the C25K you build up slowly, and before long you will be doing amazing things that you never imagined you could do. I am still shocked that I can run more than 8k without stopping. I am not the usual runners build being about 6'5" and weighing about 235, but I am enjoying it, staying injury free largely thanks to getting good shoes and following the plan correctly, and not pushing too hard. Keep with the C25K. In just a few weeks you'll be happy with your progress and looking forward to your next run. Good luck,

5k PR - 26:27 | 10k PR - ??? | HM PR - 2:09:14

I started walking just over a year ago. I was 42 years old, 6 foot, and 250 pounds. Today i am 195 with at least ten to lose still. Heres what I did. I started with walking, everyday for one hour. Go out the front door and walk away thirty minutes, turn around and walk home. The trick is the every day part. You cant run everyday, so the actual calories burned in a week is more. Slowly add a few minutes of running, and build up till you are running the whole way. Once you are running continously increase your distances. I found three, then six, then nine to be mental barriers, but breaking through them was a rush of empowerment. Once I ran nine, i realized I could I could run a half marathon, did that in january, and by febuary i ran a full marathon in Austin. Not very fast but I did it. The key is to go slow, slow. You want to train as much as possible but avoid injury at all costs. I only run every other day. I am not saying you should try for a marathon in a year, just that its possible. You can do it, just take it one step at a time, and do it.
                        celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Nothing to add, except to reiterate-- SLOW DOWN! Smile C25K is a wonderful program, and combined with diet it can do a lot for weight loss. I literally would walk as fast as my jog in the early days and repeated many weeks along the way, but the program works. Stay slow, stay comfortable, and I promise you will become addicted to running. Just for encouragement-- I started C25K ten months ago at 168 lbs and doing 17-20 minute mile pacing. Today I did a medium-length run of 4 miles with 10:30 miles and weighed in at 125.2lbs. Running alone won't do it, but the program is a great place to start. Stick with it and find all the encouragement you need here! Chris

Chris
                          PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

Slow-smooth-fast

Stay with it, my friend has just started out, and he is a lot slower than you. It is all about time, you have got all your life to get faster and fitter. I personally started out at 266lbs, and 18 months later, I can do a sub 19min 5k. Patience. Good luck

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

fatty

Thank you all for the great feedback and encouragement. My goals are not to lose weight. Now dont get me wrong if it is an unfortunate side effect, I wont be sad. Mostly I want to get my body back in shape and I know that by doing this it will happen. But Im not doing this to shed pounds and I know it wont come off fast when it does start to come off. So my priority is to get out and get back in shape. To my initial question. I wouldnt say im gasping and struggling to get air. Im breathing, Im just breathing heavily. Im not bent over wheezing and sucking wind. So this morning I feel great Im not stiff or sore in fact I feel like I could go again tonight. I wont because I made that mistake last time. I just feel like Im wasting time to work out. Im excited to get back to this. I cant wait till I can actually get back into shape enough to compete. Gas is expensive..Run!!
                              Goal: quit smoking - complete Goal:Finish C25k Goal: Run and Finish a 5K
                                Thank you all for the great feedback and encouragement. My goals are not to lose weight. Now dont get me wrong if it is an unfortunate side effect, I wont be sad.
                                I've been running 8 months, lost 55 #'s my diet hasn't changed much as far as total calories. I may be eating less fatty food and more fruit and veggies but total calories about the same. Imagine how much I would have lost if I wasn't running Wink

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius