NYTimes says "go ahead, hurt yourself" (Read 428 times)

vicentefrijole

Just kidding.. that's not what the article says. Wink It's kinda interesting though. Basically, some MDs are starting to think that moderate excercise can help heal certain types of injuries. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/11/fashion/11FITNESS.html?ex=1169182800&en=bce3e4a57c211b67&ei=5070&emc=eta1
      I used to take serious rest periods after my heavier workouts. My knees, hips and all joints seemed to need it. For the past 6 months I've been making a conscious effort to keep moving through all the aches and pains and it works! The less active I am the longer it takes me to recover. For me, at least, the article made perfect sense. Ewa
      I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill
        Similar experience here- I had a nagging knee injury where it would tighten up unnaturally after 4 or 5 minutes of running, without fail. I took off 5 weeks completely, and tried running again, only to find that NOTHING had changed, it was as if I hadn't taken time off at all.... From there I got a health club membership and started a regimen of biking every other day for a week and then alternating that with days of running on grass for a half-mile at a time. Within three weeks, I was back to running the same distances of before! When you can't run, find some cross training that doesn't hurt.