Mizuno.... (Read 3866 times)

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Sorry all.. I was away the past week working the NYC expo.  I'll answer these questions in the morning!

best

Seth

Welcome back!  Don't worry about my slightly tongue-in-cheek question...it's a moot point now.  Loving my white Sayonaras!

I can speak a little to ohhayitskk's question (which may also be moot, since that coupon has expired)...I have Kinvara 3's (they've been retired in favor of a new pair of 4's), Wave Rider 16's (also retired), and now Sayonara.

Don't know about sizing, but I can tell you that the Sayonaras do give a little more cushioning than the Kinvaras, but not as much as the Wave Riders, as Cyberic99 said.  The Wave Rider 16 is an excellent shoe, but I decided it was a little heavy to take into a marathon for my liking.  Fearing the minimal cushioning of the Kinvara over that distance, I bought these Sayonaras as sort of a middle ground shoe.  I'd tried them on when they first came out in a big-box store, and from what I remembered I thought they would give me just enough support to keep my legs from hurting, without feeling clunky.

I still think they would give me plenty of support over the distance, but I have to say, after my first few workouts in them, I'm not sure I'm not having to work a little harder to get up to pace in them.  The data points are very limited - I've only had about two or three tempo/interval workouts with them, so it could very well be some other factor, but marathon pace seems a little easier in the Kinvaras.  And my legs were sore after my last marathon in Saucony  Triumph, for goodness' sake, so I think if I'm going to be sore, might as well be sore and fast in the Kinvaras!

All that said, I still HIGHLY recommend the Sayonaras, and don't regret my decision one bit.  Whether the extra effort I'm perceiving is real or not, they are super comfy, have a nice wide toebox and are, for me, a better all-around shoe than my Wave Rider 16's...and I really liked my Wave Rider 16's (I have them on right now, in fact).

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

meaghansketch

Hi Seth!  Great to meet you at the expo!  Thought you'd like to know I PRed by 20 minutes to get a 3:59, wearing the Sayonaras I now love more than ever.  Though I had worried they weren't enough shoe for me for a whole marathon, my feet felt good the entire race and afterwards-- no blisters, and I still have all my toenails!  I would have spent a little money at the Mizuno booth during the expo, but I needed to save up for those new Inspires that are about to come out.

Hi Seth!  Great to meet you at the expo!  Thought you'd like to know I PRed by 20 minutes to get a 3:59, wearing the Sayonaras I now love more than ever.  Though I had worried they weren't enough shoe for me for a whole marathon, my feet felt good the entire race and afterwards-- no blisters, and I still have all my toenails!  I would have spent a little money at the Mizuno booth during the expo, but I needed to save up for those new Inspires that are about to come out.

Awesome!  Was great to meet you as well... KILLER PR!   Sub4 is huge!    I think it's the perfect marathon shoe for people who want something a bit lighter than the every day trainer!

Your new Inspires should be out VERY SOON!

Again, 'grats on the speedy PR and so happy to meet you!

---------

My question now is whether or not I should try the Wave Rider 16s or the Sayonara. I've been eyeing both and I'm not sure which direction I should go. I have a coupon for running shoes that expires in a week or so, so I want to get on it now, but I do have to order online, so I'm also looking for sizing guidance. I wear a 7.5 in regular shoes, usually go up to an 8 in running shoes. I have a wide foot and when I was wearing 7.5s, I kept losing toenails. That being said, it seems the Sayonaras are a bit big? Not sure about the WR 16s.

Help! Thanks!

Great questions... If you are looking for something a smidge on the lighter/faster side, I would for sure go Sayonara.   As far as fit, I 1/2 sized down from my Wave Rider size and got a much better fit

---------

Docket_Rocket

Seth, I ordered the Wave Creation again.  I tried them before but never fell in love with them but the new pattern is gorgeous and I want to make it a try as a heavier (tired legs day) choice.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Seth, I ordered the Wave Creation again.  I tried them before but never fell in love with them but the new pattern is gorgeous and I want to make it a try as a heavier (tired legs day) choice.

Hah! Kinda funny, because since I just got my pair at the NYC marathon last week I have been running in them daily.. and I never really liked the Creation... now I want it everyday!

---------

Anyone try the new Wave Rider 17's yet??

---------

QuietStrength

Is there a replacement for the Nirvana?

Is there a replacement for the Nirvana?

You bet!   The Wave Paradox will be released the first week of January!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA5Cxx1aNV0

---------

The running specialty store I work for just received a couple of sizes earlier today. I tried a pair on  for walking around in store, but havent run in them yet

Anyone try the new Wave Rider 17's yet??

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Finally saw the Inspire 10's in the LRS, damn exciting looking and feel seriously light.   Though I will miss the high toe uplift on the Inspire 9's.

I just have one query:  WTF is going on with wides only available in White?!  Those are going to be cream, brown and nasty in less than a week.

obiebyke

I just looked them up. So pretty! Oh man. Must hold off for a few more months. Damn, I just bought 9s...

Finally saw the Inspire 10's in the LRS, damn exciting looking and feel seriously light.   Though I will miss the high toe uplift on the Inspire 9's.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Thanks for the feedback all!

Its hard to decide which color to release in widths, and the best option is usually the "safe" option...

If you want to read more, I wrote a blog this week on the Mizuno website, I interviewed the head of footwear and he touches on a lot of the issues you might be curious about!

http://www.mizunousa.com/running/blog/mizuno-running-2014-qa/

---------

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

I finally put down a few miles in the Inspire 10's.

Offhand I can not say I am blown away. They are nice, light and responsive, but enough different from the 9's I will have to run quite a bit more to really get a feel.

One item in particular:

It took me a bit to get used to the high toe spring of the 9's, but now I love it!  The 10's feel absolutely flat in the toe spring department and I really miss the feel of the 9's.

I'm sure I'll get used to it, though reluctantly.

I finally put down a few miles in the Inspire 10's.

Offhand I can not say I am blown away. They are nice, light and responsive, but enough different from the 9's I will have to run quite a bit more to really get a feel.

One item in particular:

It took me a bit to get used to the high toe spring of the 9's, but now I love it!  The 10's feel absolutely flat in the toe spring department and I really miss the feel of the 9's.

I'm sure I'll get used to it, though reluctantly.

Thanks for the feedback!

Inspire 10 is for sure the lightest stability shoe on the market, yet our team did a great job by not sacrificing fit or stability (believe it or not, the 10th edition is a small % MORE stable!)

Keep me posted as you hammer the miles

---------