How would you feel/what would you do if your house was on fire? (Read 205 times)

Jill_B

I fly.

I live in an old stone house that has many formerly exterior walls as interior walls - and they are like 2 feet deep and made of stone (awesome when you want to hang something on the walls, but I digress).  If my house caught fire I would be surprised and I imagine it would have to be a really, really hot fire to catch, but I wouldn't grab anything other than my husband and kids.  Everything else is replaceable.

Bring it on.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

I have no idea.

I don't care to find out.

But, I'm as certain as I need to be that all would work out.

Liz

pace sera, sera

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Agreed.  Just get out.

Want to know how much time you have?  Take a look at this video that shows how fast a fire can spread.  Please note the time when the smoke detector in the hallway would be activated and how big the fire is at that point.

Still think you're going to be able to grab something?

That is sobering.

RunJasonRun

I live in a one-bedroom apartment on the second (top) floor of my building, so there are four different feasible escape routes.  I cannot imagine any scenario where I would be unable at least to grab my laptop and run, but anything is possible.

I'm a minimalist for the most part, except for my movie collection and my music collection.  I could get by without both, but it would break my heart, because I have pretty specific tastes, and I own a lot of currently out-of-print movies and CDs that cannot be replaced.  They're just things, though, and I would look out for myself first.

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues.

Dream Maker

2 bedroom apartment. My main concern would be getting to the other side of the apartment and getting my 5 year old daughter and getting back out on the only door on my side of the apartment.

Screw stuff.. My photos are backed up online.  There is nothing I have that I care about that much that I'd risk any time for even if I wouldn't have money to replace it.  The thing I'd be saddest about is some irreplaceable items of family members that have died but they wouldn't have wanted me to risk it, either.

There was a fire in my house growing up.  We lost all our photos. It's so great that there's online back ups now.

catwhoorg

Labrat

Wife and Daughter, then out.

The irreplaceable mementos of my life are nothing if you aren't alive to enjoy them.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

That is sobering.

At 1:00, not much going on, at 2:00, the fire alarm is finally activated, at 2:20 the room is flashing over.  Damn, that is sobering!

Most folks would be lucky just to wake up, take the alarm seriously, bolt out of bed and get out of the house in a 20 second timeframe....

Yep, leave everything behind, unless it is more important than life itself.   

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Agreed.  Just get out.

Want to know how much time you have?  Take a look at this video that shows how fast a fire can spread.  Please note the time when the smoke detector in the hallway would be activated and how big the fire is at that point.

Still think you're going to be able to grab something?

So after watching that video the question I have is:  Why don't we have "smoke" detectors that respond to a heat source (say over 300 degrees) instead of to smoke?  Seems like it would give a warning at least 90 seconds faster than the smoke detector in this example, you would just have to keep it not looking at the stove in the kitchen.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

There are heat detectors out there.  They are generally used in property protection and not life protection.

This is a decent, basic breakdown of the two including pros and cons of each.  It's not overly technical.  There are some recommendations of using both heat and smoke detectors in homes.  However, with most house fires, smoke detectors will sound much sooner than will heat detectors offering a better chance of escape and survival.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

So after watching that video the question I have is:  Why don't we have "smoke" detectors that respond to a heat source (say over 300 degrees) instead of to smoke?  Seems like it would give a warning at least 90 seconds faster than the smoke detector in this example, you would just have to keep it not looking at the stove in the kitchen.

kiddie

Dude, you should buy this mf'er...the kiddie nighthawk. It screams bloody murder when we so much as turn on the damn oven (which is why you see it here, in it's dinnertime position, supine on the counter, batteries hanging out)...

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Found another similar video, even faster flashover process occurred.  This one assumes that you have a real Christmas tree in your home, which has dried out by Dec 25th because you asked little Johnny to climb under there and put water in the stand, but he forgot.

It also assumes that little Johnny is a bit of a firebug and likes to play with the traditional Christmas candles, and happened to carry one over to where the tree was because he wanted to shake the presents underneath.

From 72 degrees to unsurviveable in well less than 1 minute:    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLHhG65fLeY

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞