why cant i increase my running distance ? (Read 2567 times)

Julia1971

Who do you want coaching your child? Bobby Knight or Mike Krzyzewski.  I'm DONE!

You had me until the Coach K part.  (Wa-hoo-wa!).

Seriously, though...  Go pull out your birth certificate...  Now, go pull out your last paystub...  Does either say, "Nobby" on it?  Good, because that means it's not that serious.  Welcome to the interwebs where caring about other people's opinions is optional.  Smile

Who do you want coaching your child? Bobby Knight or Mike Krzyzewski.  I'm DONE!

I don't have any kids at the moment and I don't anticipate any of my future children playing D1 basketball.

This is a forum for adult runners (with a few high schoolers) and I would want advice from the most qualified people.  I prefer blunt honesty over somebody who is going to sugar-coat everything for me.  Yes, sometimes this means you might get your feelings hurt because somebody tells you that what you are doing is stupid.

I do agree that if you come onto a running forum looking for advice, you should actually put some effort into writing your request.  If you can't spend an extra couple of minutes to write like an adult then you probably don't have enough discipline to be good at running.  With everyone texting now, this will probably happen much more often.

Thank you for taking the time to read my signature!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I like sugar. Especially in my soda, on a long run.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

winnie85

what i see here is people love pointing out mistakes then helping out...........only very few people other than Nobby  have given tips ...............I use to run marathon before my injury i had no coach before ,  i ran because i love running its the most relaxing thing for me ..........now i started again after 4 years........and all i asked for tips and guidance ............... language should not be a barrier i believe for progress and running too .

happy feet

"put some effort into writing"..."write like an adult"

Every group (or forum) has its own 'dialect', or decorum. I've participated in some guitar forums (for "serious" adult players committed to getting better) that didn't read like standard english at all. The original post didn't necessarily show a lack of effort, or lack of intelligence or lack of commitment to running, but may have just demonstrated a lack of understanding the "language" this particular forum generally adheres to.

To be blunt, a lot of you sound like stuck up a-holes, who could make an effort to explain or guide someone new to using the "language' of this forum without being mean about it.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Sorry that you think some of us are stuck up a-holes.  I was just trying to explain why Nobby may have said what he said.  You probably know the lengths of the posts contributed by Nobby, so it might be frustrating for him sometimes.  I personally don't care how it was written and think it's strange when everyone gets worked up over posts that are in all caps.

Nobby's post may have come off as being mean, but he is just a direct person.  The end of my response wasn't in regard to this poster, but just a comment in general that you will get out of something what you put into it.

MTA: Winnie, sorry if you thought I was attacking you.  I was trying to state the perception that others may have had, which was not the truth of the situation.

Thank you for taking the time to read my signature!

xor

To be blunt, a lot of you sound like stuck up a-holes, who could make an effort to explain or guide someone new to using the "language' of this forum without being mean about it.

And you sound like many of the folks I know below the age of 25 who place priorities in different places and have different hot buttons than folks who are a little older.  Now, I realize that you are NOT under 25, so you, I'm sure, have been around to see this happen before.

This is not the first and will not be the last sidetrack that cues on "don't be lazy", and language laziness is becoming a bigger and bigger deal in the age of rapid-fire written communication.  When I was a kid, it was laziness about spoken communication.  When you are older and going on about lazy youngsters, it'll probably be visual communication or something.

Get a haircut.

As for the original poster, cheer up.  You've actually gotten lots of useful advice... the answer doesn't really require lots of words.  "slow down".

Why is it sideways?

As srlopez wrote the first page is full of good advice.

All bets are off on most threads that continue past the first page. Running, after all, is simple.

Maybe Nobby was harsh, but he also gave good advice. Sometimes good advice has an edge. After all, if you already knew the right way to behave, you'd never need advice.

There are more indications than the language that indicate that the OP has not put much consideration into the question he or she is asking. The specificity of distance and times indicate that the OP had a single bad run that he or she is worried about. My guess is that the OP's problem would be solved simply by going for another run or two or ten. Then he or she will find out that what's going on is not a loss of stamina but just the simple fact that for a variety of reasons we have bad days in training.

Finally, I'll admit that sometimes I'm a stuck up asshole. I'm working on that.

MrH

As for the original poster, cheer up.  You've actually gotten lots of useful advice... the answer doesn't really require lots of words.  "slow down".

Yeah ... this thread should have had just one response.

slw dwn.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

what i see here is people love pointing out mistakes then helping out...........only very few people other than Nobby  have given tips ...............I use to run marathon before my injury i had no coach before ,  i ran because i love running its the most relaxing thing for me ..........now i started again after 4 years........and all i asked for tips and guidance ............... language should not be a barrier i believe for progress and running too .

happy feet

Well, this certainly is an interesting development...  Winnie, if you used to run marathons before and you had an injury issue, the first thing you'd need to do is figure out how you got injured so as to eliminate making the same mistake.  It could be equipment issue; it could be a typical problem of running too much too fast and push into the next level too quickly.  You'd have to analyze what you've done and what you've done wrongly and try to eliminate that same mistake; otherwise, it would be the same story all over again.  IF it is the latter; and if you're feeling frustrated that you can't run as fast or as far outside, that might be the very temptation that you'd need to avoid.

In order to develop "stamina", you'll need to cover greater duration--whatever "greater" could mean to the individual.  To some, at one point of their running career, an hour might be "greater"; for others it could be 2+ hours.  By going "greater duration" and, acordingly to recent study, by going greater duration--not effort or speed, can you develop certain necessary elements for "stamina" such as capillary beds development so you can receive more oxygen and nutrients to the working muscles; the size and the number of mitochoncria where oxygen is processed more efficiently...and the only way you can go greater duration is, as some others had suggested, slow it down to whatever the pace you feel comfortable; not pushing or challenging, but comfortable.  You can't go after "greater duration" day in day out either; you'll need to recover from it before you attempt going further again; hense varying the duration each day.  Some people take one recovery day in between; others may take 2 or 3.  For a beginner--though if you used to run marathons, you may not be "a beginner"--who has trouble slowing down, may really want to have VERY short distance in between so you may want to stretch out a little while going for a shorter run.  So you can go something like Long Slow one day; Short Easy the next; Short Fast on the third day....something like that.  If you feel "dead legs" from all the long slow running, throwing some short faster runs (even 15 minutes) may stretch out your legs and actually recover better.

You having run marathons before is a totaly new information to me.  It is very difficult for anyone to give an appropriate advice without knowing the person's background and some more detailed information.  And I hope nobody is going see this "suggestion" as "outrage".  So as you know, I hope you didn't take my first post as "outrage"--if you thought that was an outrage, you wouldn't want to see me POed!!--; it was mere "suggestion" and it really was my suggestion untl of course some other people took it as offensive for whatever the reason.  Kristen told me that she exchanged a few PMs with you and she might have told you; I'd be more than happy to help anyone as long as they're serious about seeking advice.  I might even be able to send you a simple schedule put together for you too.  Feel free to send me PM any time.  Be sure to send me the feedback later though.  What bugs me more than those short-hand writing is, after spending time to give advice, never hear anything about whether or not if my advice worked or not worked.  That would straight forward PO me.  But I guess that's this day and age, where people just drop you a note casually, sometimes not even be bothered to thank you afterwards.  And if I mention that like this, some people might even take that as "a bad spirit"; but, hey, it's just me--a grouchy old foreigner!!  Yeah, Kristen, whatever happened to that guy who wanted to run 1.5 miles in XXX time that we helped and cheered on...???  Did he really drop dead?  He went on and on and on, asking all sorts of questions (and getting tons of advice) and we never heard from him whether or not he made it or not.  Some people may take it as a norm; I feel offended if anything else...

I look my best blurry!

Are we done with this yet?  Go Winnie!  Let us know how you're doing.  

Why is it sideways?

Come on now, it's the holiday season! Allow us a little more grumpiness. Please.

Oh, you cheerleader...! ;o)

Yes, I was awake last night; I was watching "Inside Man"--one of my favorite movies.  Why interrupt and respond to you? ;o)  I'll write today....sometime!!

MrH

Come on now, it's the holiday season! Allow us a little more grumpiness. Please.

Yeah ... the only thing worse than idiots arguing on a message board, is the voyeurs who insist on tut-tutting at the idiots arguing.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.