Herniated disc: Can't walk let alone run. Any hope? (Read 155 times)

Blaf

When I was 25 (I am 47 now) I had 2 herniated disks, L4-L5 and L5-S1. Same simptoms as you, pain in my left leg, and at one point I could not move for a couple weeks. It was so painful. A surgery was suggested to me, but I decided to try a couple other things before they cut me.

After I got better and was able to move, I started doing some basic back and core exercises and slowly I recovered. 10 years ago I started going to the gym more often, weights, running, aerobic classes, and I did a lot of hiking too. I feel great today, I have been running for almost 2 years now, 4-5 times a week. From time to time I still feel some light pain down my left leg. But I am very careful how I sit, how I lift stuff,...

The point is, there is hope for sure, and keep a surgery as your very last option.

Runner since 2012

Marathon PB: 3:40:32

uncontrollable

I just got told today that I have the same problem.  I was trying to cross train when all this started - pain in neck, shoulder, elbow radiating to my hand.  It is SO FRUSTRATING - trying to be disciplined & take care of your body & bam - an injury.  I am training for Marine Corp. marathon ... UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH - good luck to you.  What are your symptoms?  Upper or lower body or back?

peace

Nevrgivup

Everyone's story is different. I had an L5 S1 herniation in 2010.Did the Pt, cortisone shot, rested and did not get any better. I don't wish that pain on anyone. Decided to do the microdiscectomy after five months of pain and I am so glad I did. I was able to run eight months later. I did not think I would ever run again. I train on low mileage now. Its been three years since and I'm able to run. I may never be able to run a marathon but I can run anything up to the HM distance and that makes me happy. If you do go for surgery I'd suggest a neurosurgeon vs.an orthopedic surgeon. You don't want to mess around. Good luck!

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

ud32

I herniated L3L4 seven years ago, was a nightmare. I feel for you. I did everything to avoid surgery. Including PT in a pool where all I did for 30-45 minutes was hang feet down in the deep end of the pool with "swim noodles" under my armpits - felt like gentle traction.Took about 3-4 months to get 50% better. Then I tried Yoga - 3-4x week for another 3 months - got me over the hump. Didn't run for about 9 months. Flared up once or twice since. Been back running since though and eventually finished my first marathon - no back issues. I also read a great book - "Back Rx" by Vijay Vad. Lots of walking helped too. Good luck.

Reebokabec

I just got told today that I have the same problem.  I was trying to cross train when all this started - pain in neck, shoulder, elbow radiating to my hand.  It is SO FRUSTRATING - trying to be disciplined & take care of your body & bam - an injury.  I am training for Marine Corp. marathon ... UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH - good luck to you.  What are your symptoms?  Upper or lower body or back?

It's my lower back into my entire left leg. The back doesn't really bother me, but apparently the nerve that runs down my leg is affected.

Reebokabec

I herniated L3L4 seven years ago, was a nightmare. I feel for you. I did everything to avoid surgery. Including PT in a pool where all I did for 30-45 minutes was hang feet down in the deep end of the pool with "swim noodles" under my armpits - felt like gentle traction.Took about 3-4 months to get 50% better. Then I tried Yoga - 3-4x week for another 3 months - got me over the hump. Didn't run for about 9 months. Flared up once or twice since. Been back running since though and eventually finished my first marathon - no back issues. I also read a great book - "Back Rx" by Vijay Vad. Lots of walking helped too. Good luck.

I am glad to see that lots of walking can help. Before this I was walking my dog 2-3 times per day in addition to my running. Luckily my DH and kids have taken up the slack, but I miss my dog walks. I'm not used to being so inactive. I will definitely look up that book. DH has terrible back problems too. I was supposed to be the one with the good back.