Running When Sick... (Read 897 times)

Fightinlibrarian

I've just come down with a nasty head cold with a sore throat, congestion, and fatigue.  I have a race on October 22nd, and fear that if I don't run, my training will be lessened for this event.  What is everyone's thoughts on this?  Would you continue to run through being sick, or wait until it is over?  If you have trained through illness, did it make you feel better or worse?  Any feedback is much appreciated!

Zortrium

A general rule of thumb is it's okay to run if you're sick above the neck, not so much if you're sick below the neck (hacking from the lungs and so forth).  Taking a few days of downtime isn't likely to impact you very much for the race, but if you do choose to run temper your expectations and take it easy.  The last time I ran through a fairly nasty illness I was able to do it, but my endurance was pretty shot and my runs felt like crap overall.

How long is the race? Zortium has it right, but since your race is such a long way away, I would take a day oe two off to get some rest rather than go all out. And getting sick might be coincidental, but can be a sign of over-training. Careful running after taking cold medications though - they can increase your heart rate.

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

I've only been running for about four months (if you don't count the two years I ran in high school, ten years ago, when I was never serious anyway), but I've been lucky to have gotten sick twice.

Once was a god awful sinus infection that sent me to the ER.  Didn't run then.  Too much congestion, felt it in my chest, etc.

The head cold that I get virtually every year when I start the school year I just ran through.  In fact, it seems like running makes me feel better when I have head congestion, since it all gets worked out. 

However, if running while sick makes you feel worse, look at it as time to recoup, listen to your body, and soak up the training you've been doing.

Feel better!  You'll be in fighting form again by your race.  Smile

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
          Emil Zatopek

If you dont have a fever, then run. I have tried both resting and running thru head colds and notice I don't get better any faster either way. Then again everyone is different. Good luck.

If you dont have a fever, then run. I have tried both resting and running thru head colds and notice I don't get better any faster either way. Then again everyone is different. Good luck.

I too run if at all possible through a sickness.  Running a hard workout is out of the question, but keeping the mileage up is normally doable. 

I too run if at all possible through a sickness.  Running a hard workout is out of the question, but keeping the mileage up is normally doable. 

Agreed on the no hard workout and also no really long runs

I think it is more about your level of energy that determines what you can do. If the illness is minor and you are feeling ok even a race or a 30 mile run is not out of the question. It is really about the individual's tolerance to discomfort during the run or if running could have an adverse impact to the condition, e.g. Pneumonia.
                  Fightinlibrarian

Thank you everyone for your feedback--it's been very helpful.  Have decided to take the last couple days off to hopefully be better for the coming week.  The weather here in ny state has been taking a turn to the ugly, so probably a good idea not to go out and get drenched with cold rain right now.  Yes, I feel like I've been a major slacker, but with a week coming up packed with chaos, I need to think of performing at my two jobs.  When I hear my younger self mocking me from the past, all I can do is turn a deaf ear and know that I'm doing the right thing...  I think...  Eight ball

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Sure, it sounds like a couple of days off is the right call.  That said, my experience has been that I almost always am glad I took a run, even when I'm not at my best.  Get better soon!