Are there any low "upper" heel shoes out there? (Read 571 times)

I've been using Nike Pegasus for years. This year I have had recurring achilles issues all year. Just enough to be constantly annoying. Last week I was just kind of comparing the ankle mechanics between my good leg and bad leg and there were some differences. I also noticed that the sore achilles leg seemed to be pressed on by the upper of the shoe in the back. I cut off the top inch of the upper on my shoe and applied the miracle duct tape. Feels better, definitely doesn't put any pressure on my achilles now. No problems with shoe staying on either. Should know in a few weeks if it actually helps or not. Assuming it does help...my question: Are there any shoes which don't have such a high padded upper that runs up over the back of the heel and presses on the achilles area?
    Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.
      I'm sorry you haven't had lots of replies because I'd love to hear the answers too. I've had the same exact issue with shoes (5 months more or less with PT and rehab for my achilles and am only now able to run consistently again). I am fed up with slicing into brand new shoes. The worst were a pair of saucony Rides - like being tapped on the back of the heel with every step and the padding was very firm - with the bunny ears sliced into, they're not too bad. I now have NB1062s that are not 100%, but at least they're softly padded. I have Adidas Supernovas as well and they're not perfect either.

Yeah, I have a brand new pair of Nike Pegasus sitting in the box, ready to go under the knife. Cry The strange thing is that after cutting the shoe, I don't notice my heel even feeling a bit loose. Shoe stays nice and tight.
        Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.
          I found SuperNova's the absolute worst for this. I've been liking Brooks Glycerin (5 more than 6, unfortunately), and especially the Puma Complete Prevail (most comfortable running trainers I've ever had on)
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The worst were a pair of saucony Rides - like being tapped on the back of the heel with every step and the padding was very firm - with the bunny ears sliced into, they're not too bad.
            I could not wear the Guides because of this. If they fix that I would buy another pair in a heartbeat. Great shoe, otherwise. I have had good luck with the heel tabs on NB shoes. I had one pair that hit me in that area, but it was an oddly shaped shoe...didn't have that U cut-out, went straight across. In later versions of that shoe they fixed it (didn't love the shoe, anyhow, so I never was able to compare). Other than that their heel/achilles area seems to not come up too high or curve in too much, but my heels don't slip.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay