Enter your race distances correctly -- Eric's log is smart! (Read 880 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Ok, not looking for technical support, just a geeky pet peeve. Folks, when you enter in your race distances (or workout distances for that matter), you can enter 5km or 5000m -- it doesn't have to be 3.1 miles. Eric's log is so smart that it still calculates the min/mile correctly, and even adds up your weekly mileage totals in miles, even if you enter your race distance in kilometers. I guess it bugs me when I look at people's logs and see their PR's for 3.1 miles, 6.2 miles, 9.3 miles, etc. Enter 5k, 10k, 15k. etc. No one asks you what your 6.2 mile PR is, they ask you what your 10k PR is! Sorry for the nitpickiness, but what are engineer geeks for? All you Sgt. Hulkas out there feel free to tell me to "lighten up, Francis!"

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Wingz

Professional Noob

Big grin Lighten up, Jeff. What difference does it make to your running how someone chooses to record their race times? If it bothers you that much, why not stop looking at other people's PR's? Tongue

Roads were made for journeys...

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Hey Wingz, that cat avatar of yours has some teeth and claws! Clowning around Yes, I know it's none of my business. Which is probably why my wife hates it when she's on the computer and I'm in the same room, 'cuz I'm all like, "hey, you should do it this way -- it's a lot better." The first step to improvement is admitting you have a problem, which I'm doing. As for the rest of you, fix your damn logs! Clowning around

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Lazy idiot

I'll admit that if I were to go peeking around a bunch of logs, this would probably bother me, too. But I don't that much (except for Jeff's, of course Wink), so I guess I'm indifferent. I hope mine are all this way, now that Jeff put the thought in my head. Just what I would expect... a Wolverine messing with a Buckeye.

Tick tock

The Floor Walker

Eric's log is so smart that it still calculates the min/mile correctly, and even adds up your weekly mileage totals in miles, even if you enter your race distance in kilometers.
            Hmmm, well lets see here, if Eric's log was soooo smart then why can't it just convert the 3.1, 6.2, etc into kilometers in the PR section Confused This way, poor ole Jeff wouldn't have to be annoyed while snooping through our PRs Wink
            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

This is fantastic! I knew I was opening myself up to this when I posted, and you guys haven't let me down. RA rules! Big grin BTW mbotti, you almost deflected this away from me to Eric. Nice! Therefore -- note to Eric: fix everyone's PR pages so that they don't annoy me anymore! Wink

Hmmm, well lets see here, if Eric's log was soooo smart then why can't it just convert the 3.1, 6.2, etc into kilometers in the PR section Confused This way, poor ole Jeff wouldn't have to be annoyed while snooping through our PRs Wink
                Um...doesn't Eric's wicked smaht log already do this? Which means Jeff is now just nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking... Tongue

Runners run

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Um...doesn't Eric's wicked smaht log already do this? Which means Jeff is now just nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking... Tongue
                  Eric's wicked smaht log totals up everything correctly, no matter what units you use. Your PR's are how I would do them -- when you ran a 5k race, you entered 5km in the log for that event. I've noticed that a lot of people entered "3.1 miles" as the event distance, so instead of seeing 5km in the PR section, you see "3.1 mile." It's incredibly nitpicky as I've admitted, and yes for the sake of being nitpicky. That's what I do -- I nitpick. Tongue Ok, and drink anything with alcohol in it and run a few miles here and there.

eric :)

Good golly! Are we still on this? I thought I have some code in there that will convert any 3.1 milers to 5ks on the PR page. It's the same code that recognizes 26.2 or 26.22 as marathons. However, when you list the races of a specific distance, all the 5ks are converted to 3.1 miles because that's your default unit system. Maybe this is where the confusion comes from?