Help! My shoes are turning into monsters! (Read 113 times)

AbbeyG

New to the forums, so Hi! It's nice to meet you all. Smile

I am somebody jogging for health and weight loss, and would eventually love to do races in my area.  I jog anywhere from 1-3 x /week, depending on my schedule.  I have recently started noticing my shoes have really been tearing up the back of my ankles.  They never used to do this, and they are still in pretty much new condition.  I had to take the winter off jogging, and bought these shoes mid to late fall of last year.

When I was in the Nike store, I had somebody help me find the ideal fit and shoe, plus the size (had to go up 1/2 size) and these weren't cheap.  I bought the Nike Lunar Victory II + They are super light weight, flexible, supportive for my high arches, but they are absolutely ripping open the back of my feet.  I can't jog in shorts with them, because I have to wear socks higher than ankle socks, and that just looks too dorky for me. Undecided  I jogged for maybe 5 minutes tops today before I had to stop because the back of my ankles were bright red and I got one bad rub.  Do you think these shoes are just defective? Can I call the company and get a refund?  I don't currently have the option to just run out and get a new pair of shoes, and these are in pretty much perfect condition! Sad

Pictures of the actual shoes:

^You can see how the back of the heel is super padded, and soft to the touch.  I don't understand why they're rubbing me raw.

If dorky socks take care of the problem, isn't your health and weight worth a few moments of dorkiness a week?

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
      AbbeyG

If dorky socks take care of the problem, isn't your health and weight worth a few moments of dorkiness a week?

I just feel like for the $$$ I paid for these, I shouldn't have to wear dorky socks.  I just called Nike, and they said there was nothing they can do, looks like I'm SOL with these. :/

Maybe not a universal solution, but the Balega Hidden Comfort socks have a nice padded collar at the back of the ankle. It could be worth a shot. In my experience, when it comes to comfort, good running socks are as important as proper shoe fit.

#artbydmcbride

I would take them back to that store in person and tell them you want shoes that fit you properly!   They should make you an exchange or give you your money back!

Runners run

Mmmmm...beer

I wear tab socks like the ones gitgan posted, otherwise my socks slip down into my shoes and the heel rubs.  I like Balega socks, but if you're looking for a cheaper option, WalMart sell Starter tab socks in grey and black that are much cheaper.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I agree with Ileneforward.  If you can't find socks that work, the running store should let you exchange the shoes.  That's why people pay extra to buy shoes from a store rather than online!  They want you to be happy so that you'll do more business with them.

Do you think these shoes are just defective? Can I call the company and get a refund? 

^You can see how the back of the heel is super padded, and soft to the touch.  I don't understand why they're rubbing me raw.

I don't think the shoes are defective.  They are probably designed that way with the higher heel.  I've had similar issues with certain makes and models of shoes.  It could either be the height of the back of the heel collar or the width.  If too wide, your heel could be sliding around in the shoe and getting rubbed.  The solution is to wear a higher and/or thicker sock or something like the balega socks mentioned or to see if you can exchange them for a different model shoe.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

AbbeyG

I wear tab socks like the ones gitgan posted, otherwise my socks slip down into my shoes and the heel rubs.  I like Balega socks, but if you're looking for a cheaper option, WalMart sell Starter tab socks in grey and black that are much cheaper.

Thank you for all the replys. Smile  I will look for some of those socks when I'm at WalMart next time. Smile