New Runner (Read 751 times)

Mohamed

I'm new to this site, and new to running. Couple of questions.. 1. I'm planning on running a 5K in 5 weeks, and I currently run on my treadmill 1mile/day for 10 mins. I'm planning on shooting for 2miles/day next, and then keep adding an additional mile until I get to 4miles/day a week before the 5k run. Is this plan possible? and will training for a 5K at indoors facility be a good or bad idea? 2. Currently, I run around noon. What is the best time to run during the day? Thanks Cool
    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Welcome, Mohamed! A lot of folks around here have had success with the Couch to 5k Program, which is great for beginning runners. There's even a Couch to 5k group. It's actually a 9-week plan, so you'll have to gauge where you are. Time of day all depends on your schedule, but I recommend the morning for two reasons: 1) Not nearly as hot. 2) Races are in the morning, so training in the morning prepares you to race in the morning.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yep, what Jeff said! BTW, welcome, Mohamed--nice to have you here. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Mohamed

Thanks guys. Wink
          Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Welcome! Running on a treadmill is quite different from running outdoors. I would encourage you to at least experiment with some outdoor running before the race, to get yourself used to it.
            Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
            Mohamed

Ed4, I agree. I will incorporate some outdoor running into my training, probably from next week. Today, I ran 1.5miles on the treadmill in 14mins... Next week, I will shoot for 2miles under 20mins. I'm loving it! Cool
              Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Keep it up! As a new runner, you're going to see huge improvements in your aerobic and muscle fitness, which is awesome. Just keep in mind that your joints and bones will need time to catch up, because they improve much more slowly. So if you start to hurt, back off a little and plateau for awhile. The secret to success is consistency and patience.
                Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.