People determined to show that marathons are bad for us (Read 1411 times)

I'm in pretty bad shape - heel spurs, an enlarged heart, a pulse rate that's too low, and I don't breathe as much as most people. I didn't have all these problems when I smoked. Help me!

how is your pulse rate too low?

Half Fanatic #846

how is your pulse rate too low?

I'm just being facetious, but it seems to be a perception that some naive people have because it's way below average.  I mean, if it gets much lower - that's a lot closer to (gasp) stoppingWink

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Black-Toe-Nailed

Aaaargh!! We are all going to die.

Please  Doctor help me, I have the runs!!

Cry

--

"If one can stick to the training throughout the many long years,
        then will power is no longer a problem. It's raining? That doesn't matter.
        I am tired? That's besides the point. It's simply that I just have to."

Emil Zatopek

I'm just being facetious, but it seems to be a perception that some naive people have because it's way below average.  I mean, if it gets much lower - that's a lot closer to (gasp) stoppingWink

:-)

Check out Alex Hutchinson's blog -- Sweat Science (www.sweatscience.com) -- for lots of great info about the links (or lack thereof) between marathons and premature death.

Alex's blog is actually a fantastic all-around resource. He's got a great grasp of the scientific and medical literature, knows how to explain it, and understands how/why studies don't always mean what they seem to mean. Can't recommend it enough for people who dislike all of the spooky, half-assed misinformation that passes for "science" so many places these days.

Edit: Just went over there and dug up this post on exactly this topic: http://sweatscience.com/marathons-and-the-female-heart/

Here's the gist of what Alex thinks about this:

"But the real question is none of the above: it’s whether these findings about elevated risk factors translate into compromised health. So far, I’m not aware of any study that links marathon running, or any form of endurance exercise, to elevated risk of death (or any other serious ailment) from any cause. That doesn’t mean such risks don’t exist (they could easily be hidden by the overall positive effect of exercise’s other health benefits). Still, as I wrote in the Globe and Mail a few months ago(and probably reflecting my “wishful thinking” bias), I can’t bring myself to get too worried about these apparent risks in the absence of any direct evidence. As Amby Burfoot wrote, “show me the bodies in the streets.”

Black-Toe-Nailed

Awesome. Thanks a lot for sharing.

The risks of all these symptoms declined with every additional daily kilometre run, so that those running more than nine kilometres per day were 65 per cent less likely to suffer from angina, and 29 per cent less likely to suffer from heart disease compared to those averaging three kilometres per day – the level corresponding to most public-health recommendations.

Nice,  I was on 8km per day and now after incrasing my mileage to 55mi/week I will surely live forever !!!

Anyway, 3km per day that's 13.02 miles / week... mate, that's the milage you make by standing up from bed and running  to the loo, lol .

--

"If one can stick to the training throughout the many long years,
              then will power is no longer a problem. It's raining? That doesn't matter.
              I am tired? That's besides the point. It's simply that I just have to."

Emil Zatopek

uncontrollable

Bottom line: the studies supporting the detrimental effects of sitting on your ass & eating take out far outweigh (ha ha ha) this one ... I'll take my size 6 jeans and a heart attack at any age over shortness of breath going to get the mail and wearing ridiculous clothes in an attempt to "hide" my "healthy" choices.  Thank you.

*Plus - lucky for me: I'm not elite!  Just a mere middle of the packer ... maybe I can dodge the bullet

peace

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Anyway, 3km per day that's 13.02 miles / week... mate, that's the milage you make by standing up from bed and running  to the loo, lol .

You should move the outhouse closer to your house...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Or put the bed in the outhouse.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Or put the bed in the outhouse.

There's a sign of someone who is committed. Or needs to be.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

running yogi

A new study says some of us are scarring our hearts. I would think if this was significant, we would have even more marathon deaths.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-12-07/marathon-triathlon-training-can-temporarily-damage-the-heart-study-finds.html

and when you die, don't say Marthe Fourcade didn't warn you !