Pulled Quad - to run or not? (Read 1596 times)

Think Whirled Peas

I just started playing soccer once a week and am using it as my "speed" work for now. Having never played so much as one minute of soccer in my life previously, I'm quickly finding it to be quite the workout for my legs! Oh, and I'm TERRIBLE too. But it is an extremely fun game to play, and I take back all the nasty things I've said in my lifetime about how boring it is. Alas, baseball is my favorite sport so most would say I've no room to talk! Anyway, I yoinked my left quad muscle Friday night pretty bad. Well, it felt bad at the time, and Saturday wasn't a ton of fun either as it was pretty sore and tight. I tried to stay off it, and kept icing and resting it most of the day. Found my way to a hot tub Saturday night and by Sunday it started feeling pretty good. I was thinking I should take Monday off from running yet, but it feels ok just walking around...hence the conundrum. To run or not to run, this is my question. I'm still pretty new to the whole running thing, and this is my first "injury" in the sense that it's not just your run of the mill aches and pains. Is running going to do more harm than good right now, or is it better to get some easy miles on it? I'm getting a little jumpy after two days off, but would rather sacrifice another day (it's cold but SUNNY here in MI right now, happily) w/out running if it meant I wouldn't do any longer term damage. Any advice is welcome, and THANKS!

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

A Saucy Wench

warm up before your run more than normal start slowly if it hurts stop and walk home

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

The Greatest of All Time

When in doubt, take the day off.
        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Think Whirled Peas

Yeah, I guess it seems obvious, and when I re-read what I wrote I can't help but thinking "what a dumbazz question". But the truth is that I've never had a pulled muscle before and am not sure what "pain" is bad versus the twinging we all get from running. Are quad pulls (or any pull, for that matter) something you can run through, or are you better off just laying off of it until it completely heals? One friend at work said that easy running would probably be ok, but to not do any sprinting/speed work for a week or two. I'm guess I'm just a bit frustrated too b/c I didn't have a great Feb. for various reasons and was looking to get going again in March but feel like this may slow me down again...gah. I knew soccer was going to be a bad idea! Black eye

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>