10 Rules for Running (Read 630 times)

run.87

If you had to write 10 informal rules that govern your running what would they be?

“Over level or steep, over smooth or rough, over dry or wet…run, run: always run.” 

Latent Runner

Here are the four at the top of my list:

1. Always start a new training program with Long Slow Distance before even thinking about speed or hill work.
      2. Good shoes.
      3. Stretch after you run (or at least after a good warm-up run), not before.
      4. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
      • 2-mile: 13:49
      • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
      • 5-Mile: 37:24
      • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
      • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
      • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
      JimR

If you had to write 10 informal rules that govern your running what would they be?

1) Don't eat a piano before running.

2) Trim your toenails.  Nobody wants to see that.

3) Thongs, see #2.

4) Avoid cliffs.

5) Avoid tractor trailers.

6) Cheat. It's easy.

7) People faster than you don't matter (genetic freaks and all), people slower than you are losers deserving of ridicule.

8) Olivia Wilde is hot.

9) It's a lot of effort that I put into running, kindasorta, so you better ooh and ahh about my latest whatever.

10) Beds are comfy, roads aren't.

hank_reardon

I would add:

5) have fun

6) mix it up (and by 'it,' I mean everything...routes, training partners or lack there of, races, workouts, distances...)

Kalsarikännit

1.  Long runs are to be rewarded with shower beer.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

1.  Keep moving forward.

2.  See rule number 1.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

run.123

1. Run as little or as much as you want, as far as you want, as fast as you want.
                2. Always run through sprinklers.
                3. Leave the watch at home sometimes.
                4. Who you are during (or after) that tough workout or race is who you really are. Make sure that person is someone you are proud of.
                5. If you run, you’re a runner.
                6. Never outkick someone that won’t have a fair chance to get you back another time.
                7. Run like a kid sometimes. Go out fast and don’t be afraid to hurt. It’s easy to lose courage and call it wisdom.
                8. Run with people slower than you. Run with people faster than you.
                9. It’s alright if you go over your limits every once in a while and get injured. Most people never learn where that line is. Don’t beat yourself up too much.
                10. Don’t complain. The step you are taking right now could be your last if you wanted it to be. If you choose to be a runner, choose it fully. 
                run.87

Love it! Your response reminds me of this comic:

http://neversaynever0304.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/smb071102l.png.

1.  Keep moving forward.

2.  See rule number 1.

“Over level or steep, over smooth or rough, over dry or wet…run, run: always run.” 

BeeRunB

1. Run forward.

2. If you have to stop for a cigarette during a race, use the designated smoking areas.

3. If you're a guy, don't let your mind wander into sexual fantasy during a training run on the bike trail. People will point at you and giggle and make jokes about mini-hot dogs. And then there's the chaffing problem...

4. Don't make your wife follow and watch you for a whole marathon, not when she could be back at home organizing all the photos you have of yourself running, and uploading them to Facebook. Learn to maximize her time.

5. Don't poop in an alley behind someone's house during a run. You'lll probably end up being the star of a viral video, and you won't get any money from Adsense either.

6. When running trails, don't pet the cute little bear cubs. This is the only time you should run backwards, and as fast as you can.

7. Buy and use the special running harness for your Hello Kitty. Don't put her in your hydration belt. She'll fall out, and some jerk will find it and hold her for a freakin' sixty dollar ransom.

8. Throw your shoes out every fifty miles. They're no good after that.

9. Make sure you eat a lot of crabs the week before you run a marathon. Crabbo-loading is good for lateral movement coordination (in a marathon, you have to pass a lot of people).

10. Don't try anything new on race day.

Cool

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

1.  Long All runs are to be rewarded with shower beer.

+1

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Rule #1 - Bring toilet paper with you

Rule #2 - I was serious about rule #1.  You ever try to wipe your ass with leaves after you blow mud?

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

JimR

What the hey is shower beer anyway?

#artbydmcbride

7. Buy and use the special running harness for your Hello Kitty. Don't put her in your hydration belt. She'll fall out, and some jerk will find it and hold her for a freakin' sixty dollar ransom.

Runners run

After seeing my PT yesterday....stretching is one rule I need to put in somewhere

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Oh yeah!  Toilet paper and shower beer for sure.

steph