Canadians pay too much (Read 189 times)

Cyberic

I realize this is something everybody knows, and has been discussed before. But I made an experiment this week, and since I saved a few bucks, I thought I'd share it.

Mizuno Wave Riders 17 are out, but stores in Montreal still sell the Riders 16 at full price, that is 139.99$ + tx = 160.95CAD total. You can get them a bit cheaper in some canadian online stores, but the deals aren't that awesome and they often don't have my size or only have ugly colors left.

I saw a pair at runningwarehouse.com at 67.88USD. Of course shipping is free to the continental US, so most Americans could get these shoes for less than half the price we pay around here. Shipping to Canada is 25USD. It says on the web site that the customer is responsible for paying any sales tax or custom fees COD. If the shoes are returned to runningwarehouse.com, the taxes and custom fees are still charged to the customer.

Since we don't get deals even close to that one around here, I went ahead and tried it. If worse comes to worse, I'll pay the same price as I would pay here.

I paid with Paypal. I probably would have saved a little bit by using my credit card directly, but I didn't. So the 92.88 USD (shoes + shipping) with the exchange rate and paypal fees cost me 105.95 CAD. I'm still 55$ ahead.

The shoes got delivered a few hours ago and I got charged 11.28 CAD in fees (don't know if it's taxes or custom fees, and don't care).

In total I paid 117.23 CAD instead of $160.95 at my local store. Even if that is almost double what our friends south of the border pay these same shoes, it's still a pretty good deal to me. Probably good enough that I will import my Japanese shoes...  from the US again.

I have the same issue.  I usually wait for Sportcheck (do you have those in Quebec?  Forzani?) to have their "buy one get one half-off sale" when I get my shoes.  That helps quite a bit.

The other option is to pick up 5 pairs the next time you do a little cross-border shopping!  Or order 5 pairs at a time from your online retailer and that might save you some shipping?

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

Hey but free healthcare!

Runners run

Hey but free healthcare!

and Hockey Gold(s)

Alas.

Runners run

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Yeah, free trade is not helping us. Tariffs keep prices up. (37% on running shoes.)

http://www.cbc.ca/news2/interactives/canada-us-price-comparison-2012/

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Village people

Hey but free healthcare!

It isn't really free.

Yes, I got energy gels from online US store. I paid tax, shipping fee and still saved $20 compared to the online Canadian sites and stores. No wonder last year Canadians spent $22.3 billion in the US.

There is not much competition here. Amazon.ca sucks. It is like an empty store selling nothing. Expedia is one of the most expensive travel sites in the UK, but it is the cheapest here. God knows how much they make without much competition. No wonder business people all have a vacation home down the US warm places,  and spend 6-month winter down there.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

Today, the average gas price in Ontario is $1.319 / litre.

That's equal to $4.99CDN / gallon of gas.

That's equal to $4.52US / gallon of gas.

Today, in Texas, the average gas price is $3.22US.

Ontarionians (is that right?) pay 40% more for their gasoline than I do.

Canadian National average is $1.33 / litre = $5.03CDN / gallon = $4.58US

US National average is $3.46 / gallon (32% better than Canadian gas prices).

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Village people

Today, the average gas price in Ontario is $1.319 / litre.

That's equal to $4.99CDN / gallon of gas.

That's equal to $4.52US / gallon of gas.

Today, in Texas, the average gas price is $3.22US.

Ontarionians (is that right?) pay 40% more for their gasoline than I do.

Canadian National average is $1.33 / litre = $5.03CDN / gallon = $4.58US

US National average is $3.46 / gallon (32% better than Canadian gas prices).

When we visit our families, we fill up before we cross the border. $1.31! Wow.

rmcj001

The oil/gas industry externalizes costs and is subsidized by everyone.  Canada has tried to internalize some of the costs by raising taxes.  Gas industry is very similar to the cigarette industry, everyone pays for the stupidity of others and we all pay for the corporate welfare.

Ray

Village people

Yeah, you hosers get hosed. 

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

It isn't really free.

WHAT!!!!!

You people have issues 

keeponrunning

WHAT!!!!!

It's called taxes!

And I agree the cost of stuff in the US versus Canada is ridiculous!  Especially gas-- when I was meeting up with some fellow RA peeps in Michigan, what would've cost me $50 on this side of the border to fill cost me $30 there.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022