Treadmill running. Real? Let's talk treadmill "running." (Read 195 times)

xhristopher

Handrails are like training wheels.

MrH

Oh, princess, when you have mad biomechanic momentum force balance skills you don't veer off the belt. You run 20% faster with the same effort while breathing through your ears and only striking the belt with your big toes.

Some folks have bigger toes than others, if you know what I mean,

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Feeling the growl again

So we're voting on the validity of the laws of physics now?  Democracy has its limitations.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Yes, it counts.  And if I had a treadmill I would use it.

I'm sure that I'd use the hand rails.  But not awesomely.

steph  

joescott

So we're voting on the validity of the laws of physics now?  Democracy has its limitations.

C'mon, spaniel.  It's at least as valid a path to truth as debating sport jester.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

TJoseph

To be fair, wouldn't there be some additional effort running outside during the first few steps when accelerating or changing direction to overcome inertia?  The purists should probably set a 5% incline when starting the run to simulate that.

Feeling the growl again

C'mon, spaniel.  It's at least as valid a path to truth as debating sport jester.

I rest my case.  Smile

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

To be fair, wouldn't there be some additional effort running outside during the first few steps when accelerating or changing direction to overcome inertia?  The purists should probably set a 5% incline when starting the run to simulate that.

If you're doing multi-paced runs on a treadmill, yes you need to decide how to handle the more gradual acceleration/decelleration of the machine.  When running intervals I'll turn the speed up during the recovery to make it more "honest".

I find this thread very amusing.  I mean, I ran the vast majority of my miles on my home treadmill last winter for various reasons.  So apparently my first 5K was 16:17ish (I could be off a few secs) off of virtually no real running, on par with prior seasons where I did "real running".

zonykel

In my opinion, treadmill exercise is like running, but it isn't really running.  A good comparison would be a spin bike vs. a mountain bike or road bike.  Riding a bike 20 miles in the mountains or 50 miles on the road is biking, but going to a spin class for 30 minutes is not really biking.  It is like biking, but it isn't really biking.  Or a rowing machine.  Rowing a boat in a lake or the ocean is rowing.  Using a rowing machine is like rowing, but it isn't really rowing.  The same goes for treadmills.  A 10 miles run in the mountains or on the roads or track is running.  Time on a treadmill is like running, but it isn't really running.

What if you put the bike on a treadmill? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFX7XdMw82Y (you may want to stop at 1:18)

Or what if you put the treadmill on the bike?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reyt3uiQqI8

L Train

The Ataris were okay but the song lyric is a reference to Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

Scully thinks you are too old to know who the Ataris are.

How's it going, royal ugly dudes?

sugnim

What if you put the bike on a treadmill? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFX7XdMw82Y (you may want to stop at 1:18)

Or what if you put the treadmill on the bike?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reyt3uiQqI8

Ha!  Thanks for sharing!   That kid who put his bike on the treadmill is special for sure.  And that treadmill bike is interesting, But, I'm sure if I tried to ride it, I'd end up my ass!