As if we needed another reason to boycott R&R Races (Read 301 times)

Resident Historian

http://www.runblogrun.com/2013/08/competitor-group-cgi-eliminates-any-and-all-support-of-elite-athlete-fields-in-north-american-events.html

"the estimated $475,000 could be better used elsewhere within in their business group." Yeah, like lining corporate pockets.

And they pull that money for a race (Philly Half) two weeks away: "RunBlogRun has confirmed that elite athletes for the Philly Half Marathon, which is to be held on September 15, will not have their appearance fees honored nor their travel."

Slimeballs. 

Spread this around.

ETA: Duplicates thread in General Running - sorry, just saw that

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

Ho Longboat,

"As if we needed another reason....": what are the existing reasons?

Don't get me wrong, I have no agenda here, just curious. I've never run a RnR race, for some reason I have an aversion to these highly commercialized and branded events, but it is more irrational than rational. If you can provide me with some rational arguments, I would buy you a virtual pint....

Personal bests (bold = this year): 5K - 23:27 / 5M - 38:42 / 10K - 49:31 (track) / 10M - 1:24:26 / HM - 1:51:17 / M - 3:58:58

Next races: NYC Marathon, Nov 2014 

A Saucy Wench

Ho Longboat,

"As if we needed another reason....": what are the existing reasons?

Don't get me wrong, I have no agenda here, just curious. I've never run a RnR race, for some reason I have an aversion to these highly commercialized and branded events, but it is more irrational than rational. If you can provide me with some rational arguments, I would buy you a virtual pint....

expensive

crowded

they treat the runners like crap

they treat the host cities like crap

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

http://www.runblogrun.com/2013/08/competitor-group-cgi-eliminates-any-and-all-support-of-elite-athlete-fields-in-north-american-events.html

"the estimated $475,000 could be better used elsewhere within in their business group." Yeah, like lining corporate pockets.

And they pull that money for a race (Philly Half) two weeks away: "RunBlogRun has confirmed that elite athletes for the Philly Half Marathon, which is to be held on September 15, will not have their appearance fees honored nor their travel."

Slimeballs.   Spread this around.

---  To turn off payments to elite racers is a business decision... They do have the right to stop funding folks to come to their races if they so choose.     But to do it on such short notice?!  That part is not cool at all.     Aren't there a small select group of fast runners who come from African nations for the running season solely to run these races and make their living in the USA traveling the cities and running races?  I can see how R-N-R may have made some kind of "business decision" not to pay hundreds of thousands of bucks to those select elite folks, but again, the short notice of it seems unfair.  

I guess I see both sides:  Competitor doesn't want to pay hundreds of thousands to a select group of elite runners... But at the same time, I imagine they will lose hundreds of thousands of dollars in sponsorships, from folks who are pissed about the policy change, and the etc.  Can't be good for their image if no one famous will run them...

PS.  Don't cast me out, but I am running the Virginia Beach R-N-R tomorrow morning :-)  (It is my hometown race, I take the good with the bad... :-)  Wink

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞