Acupuncture for bursitis (Read 2032 times)

HCH

Has anyone tried acupuncture for bursitis? If so, did it work?

Or, put another way, has anyone found any remedy for bursitis that actually works?

Only 26.2 miles more to go.

Or, put another way, has anyone found any remedy for bursitis that actually works?

Where is the bursitis? 

I had bursitis last summer in the back of the heel. What worked was lots of heel raises (calf stretches), heel cups in all my shoes, a night splint to keep the achilles stretched, and NSAIDs to help with the inflammation.

I still do most of the above things minus the heel cups.

Patzer

A better question: when has acupuncture ever worked for anything?

Current goal: an Olympic distance triathlon. Did two of them! New goal: a half-ironman?? Did that too. New goal: I'll have to get back to you.

One time I had it bad enough in my hip flexor that I was up in the middle of the night screaming and could barely walk. A high dose of ibuprofen and I was fine after about 45 minutes and I slept through it. The next morning I raced a 10k with no problems. Now I occasionally stretch when it feels tight and the symptoms have never returned.

SMART Approach

Avoid what caused it. Sounds sarcastic but true. I have had this over years in upper hammy along with tendonitis and exacerbated by running and sitting. On days where I don't sit it feels better. When I had chronic unbearable burning with no relief, I was forced to do cortisone shots which helped a ton. I combined this with a period of 4-5 weeks of no running and I was then able to get back to my routine but I still am not 100%. I can't give up sitting and I am not giving up running so I just tolerate it. 

I had some recurrent issues over the winter and had a great bump in improvement by starting a supplement regimen of Quercetin/Bromelain. 1000mg of Quercetin and 500-750mg of Bromelain per day on an empty stomach. I take twice a day. They can be purchased together in one supplement.  I swear within one week there was improvement and now over past 4 weeks I am on my normal training routine once again with hammys in check. The other beneift is that it is excellent for allergies. I went off Singulair 2 months ago and so far allergies are in check taking this. It is an inexpensive option to try and also health benefits. When desperate, sometimes anything is worth a try. Good luck!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

HCH

Avoid what caused it. Sounds sarcastic but true. I have had this over years in upper hammy along with tendonitis and exacerbated by running and sitting. On days where I don't sit it feels better. When I had chronic unbearable burning with no relief, I was forced to do cortisone shots which helped a ton. I combined this with a period of 4-5 weeks of no running and I was then able to get back to my routine but I still am not 100%. I can't give up sitting and I am not giving up running so I just tolerate it. 

The bursitis is in my left hip. It is severe enough that when I roll over onto my side it wakes me up at night. I'm not sure what caused it. Probably running but possibly cycling or maybe carrying my son around or maybe sitting at my desk too long. I took 4 weeks completely off from running and cycling last fall, at the end of which it felt better. But as soon as I started ramping my miles this spring, the pain came back with a vengence. This time, it is accompanied by bursitis in my right ankle. I suspect that I've unconsciously tweaked my stride to compensate and somehow messed up my ankle in the process. NSAIDS and ice offer temporary relief, but the pain always comes back. It doesn't hurt while I'm running, however.

Here's the thing - I'm not at all injury prone, but this is the 4th time I've had bursitis. In my 20s, I had it in my wrist from torking my wrist in my golf swing. I had to take an entire season off and change my golf swing. In my 30s, I had it in my elbow from rowing and tennis. I had to basically give up tennis for good, but I still row occassionally.

WTF? Why would I be so prone to this kind of injury? Your supplement regimen sounds intriguing, but honestly I am very scared of supplements. They aren't regulated at all, so quality control is a leap of faith (short of getting my junior chemistry set out of my mom's basement.)

HCH

A better question: when has acupuncture ever worked for anything?

I have no idea, but if it would work for anything bursitis would be a good bet. Having hundreds of needles stuck in me might make me forget about the discomfort in my hip.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Have you not gotten a steroid injection? Trochanteric bursitis typically responds well to that.

HCH

Have you not gotten a steroid injection? Trochanteric bursitis typically responds well to that.

Not for the hip. My doc wanted me to try RICE first. I had a shot in my elbow, which helped but definitely was not a cure. Is it more effective in the hip?

SMART Approach

Your supplement regimen sounds intriguing, but honestly I am very scared of supplements. They aren't regulated at all, so quality control is a leap of faith (short of getting my junior chemistry set out of my mom's basement.)

There are many reputatable companies. I generally take only things I have seen researched and proven to provide benefits and from companies I trust and that have been around a long time.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Not for the hip. My doc wanted me to try RICE first. I had a shot in my elbow, which helped but definitely was not a cure. Is it more effective in the hip?

It can be.

SMART Approach

My bursitis at ischial tuberosity area (upper hamstring/low butt) also responded quite well to the cortisone.

flatland mountaineer

It worked for me back in my rodeo period when I "had to" compete in a matter of days. Now I try and work on the cause and the recovery is slower but my running is purely recreational and unless it would happen before a big race I avoid.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III