2010 Goal of Sub 3:00 marathon (Read 8721 times)

The Thunder

Well count me in DB.

My attempt to break 3 will be @ Boston '10.

I fell 18 seconds short my last try @ Rocket City '08.

I'll be rootin for ya!

1 Hip and 2 Hamstring reconstructions later…

Count me in as well DB and thanks for picking up the thread!  I have two marathons planned for 2010, St. Louis where I hope to break 3:00, and Indianapolis where I hope to run a 2:55.  I am currently dealing with Sural nerve damage which is somewhat limiting my mileage, not because of pain, but because of fear of permanently damaging nerves that control foot motor function.  Oh yeah, and I still want to run the ice age trail 50.  I'm probably smoking a whole lot of crack with these plans, but better to die trying...  Good luck with the 2:45, that is an awesome goal!

Are we there yet?

You had put so much into the original thread.  It looked like you had asked someone to take it over for 2010 and I though the best way to say "Thank You" was to pick it up and run.  I sure hope you are still a regular!

Well played DB.. Thanks Jim for holding it down with the best thread on RA, no doubt!

Boston 4.19 Sub 3, hopeful PR > sub 2:55

then a fall marathon for sub 2:50 - not sure which yet..  we'll see what the MRI says tomorrow but I wish everyone an injury free winter!

DoppleBock

Count me in as well DB and thanks for picking up the thread!  I have two marathons planned for 2010, St. Louis where I hope to break 3:00, and Indianapolis where I hope to run a 2:55.  I am currently dealing with Sural nerve damage which is somewhat limiting my mileage, not because of pain, but because of fear of permanently damaging nerves that control foot motor function.  Oh yeah, and I still want to run the ice age trail 50.  I'm probably smoking a whole lot of crack with these plans, but better to die trying...  Good luck with the 2:45, that is an awesome goal!

Ice Age is a great race - They have a 50k and 50M - I have run the 50M - If you want to know anyhting about it, just ask.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

Its funny - Currently I am a fair amount away form < 2:45, but I still believe that I will get there - But I do have an active fantasy life.

I do believe I am @ 2:50 shape with 6 weeks of training + taper - Should be plenty of time.

#1 lose 10-15 more #

#2 stay healthy

#3 have a smart taper and a smart race

Sounds simple doesn't it ?

I'll join in again. I would like to go sub-2:50 in Boston in April. I will also be running NY in November and that goal will be based upon what I run in Boston. I've already started my official training for Boston.

You had put so much into the original thread.  It looked like you had asked someone to take it over for 2010 and I though the best way to say "Thank You" was to pick it up and run.  I sure hope you are still a regular!

Thank you D Bock. I did put a fair amount of energy into the thread for a while but started to slip the last few months. We needed some fresh new energy and couldn't have picked a better man for the job. I definitely plan on hanging around for at least another year, though. Good luck with that 2:45 attempt1

Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                  Shooting for it at Boston. Just need to lop off 2 minutes from my PR.
                  Last Runner

Count me in too. I plan to run under 3 hours for something just not the marathon. Why the other day I actually ran under 3 hours for 9 miles.

Keep it simple!

The charts below tell the story. While mileage is important it is equally important that you hit one or more of the 5K, 5 mile, 10K, 10 mile and half marathon times consistently to have your best chance. You can run under 3 hours on 40-50 mpw if you nail the equivalent race times and do some of your weekly mile at or just under goal pace. It doesn't have to be a long marathon pace pace run. It can be 5-8 miles several times a week.

I read an interesting article by a marathoner that stated that you should be able to to run 26 miles of your weekly training at or under marathon pace as a test. Not every week but certainly 1-2 x before your race.

DoppleBock

I do not follow the 1-2 x at least 26 miles at or faster than marathon pace.  There are 100 of ways and millions of variations to train to be ready - to each there own and everyone is an experiement of one.  I would not subscribe to that thought process. 

Anyone elses thoughts?

So I have 5-6 weeks left to train - 7 weeks to marathon, how will I use this short and important time?

Doing a variety of LAT workouts and a v02 max workouts with a few hills thrown in - 2 or 3 of these each week.  How many marathon paced miles do I plan on doing? ... None!

I am hoping to hit a 2x5 mile workout @ 10 mile to half marthon pace and 1 workout of 4-5 x 2 miles at this pace.  A couple of 20-25 minutes of 5x1 mile a bit faster - maybe 10k-15k pace.  A nice variety on both sides of LAT.

Vo2 = also a variety 2x(5x2 minutes) / 6x3 minutes / 5x4-5 minutes @ 5k-3k pace

Lots of striders.

Hel22run

Hi-

I am also looking to break the 3:00 mark at Boston in April 2010.  This will be my 8th consecutive Boston.  I ran the first 6 all at around the same time of 3:35...except for this past year.  This year was the best training that I have ever had and I ran a 3:16!  I followed that with a fall marathon in October, by knocking off about 7 mins and running a 3:09.  Currently I am three weeks in to training for Boston 2010 and I couldn't be any more excited.  Nine minutes will be a lot to knock off, but I think that with the right training it could definitely be a possibility.  (And if not Boston, then definitely in some fall marathon!) 

Good luck everyone!

Helen :-)

DoppleBock

Welcome Helen - I have added you to the list

Ability

Train

Believe

Execute

I believe almost everyone in the sub 3:00 thread has the Ability

Most are willing to train for it

Usually we get stuck at the "Believe" or "Execute" part.

Good luck!

Right on Hereford...

Thanks DB for taking up the reigns, and thanks Jim for managing the 2009 thread so well.

Put me down for Boston 2010. This will be my third marathon. I ran 3:30 in Colorado in 2006 and then focused on shorter distances until this year, when I ran 2:58 in Chicago. For Boston I am not looking to knock so much time off my PR, but I will go for sub-2:56.

It looks like we will have a good crew at Boston gunning for sub-3!

DanMoriarity

Count me in as well. My PR is 3:00:10 from 2 years ago, but I haven't come close to breaking it in the 2 tries since then. Running's going well these days and I'm hopeful of getting under 3 in the spring or possibly next fall.
                              DoppleBock

Count me in as well. My PR is 3:00:10 from 2 years ago, but I haven't come close to breaking it in the 2 tries since then. Running's going well these days and I'm hopeful of getting under 3 in the spring or possibly next fall.

I will need the goal race you are shooting for to add you to the list