Personal Records (Read 1195 times)

va

I believe only runs of type "Race" are listed under PRs. Is that right? Well, I will probably never enter a real short distance race (e.g., 400 m, 800 m, 1 mile,...), but I am interested in keeping track of personal records in time trials I run for these shorter distances. These are runs where, it's simply me, timing myself, running at race pace. I realize that I could just enter these as type "Race", but they are not really races. One solution would be to add a built-in type called "Time Trial" that would also show up under PRs. A more general solution would be to add a boolean option to allow any run entry to be included in the PRs. For example, this morning I ran some intervals at the track, and I would like to be able to enter these as regular intervals in a work-out entry, and have them show up under PRs too.
    eric :)

Stephen, I like to keep the personal records to be strictly from official races, as opposed to the fastest time for the given distance. However, I think this is doable if I upgrade the reporting capabilities of the site. What do you think? eric Smile
      va

Hi Eric, I suppose if there were general ability to query my run entries for "shortest run of a given distance" or shortest run of all distances" that would do the trick. Is this what you were thinking of?
          You can search for a given distance and then sort by time or pace, but it's not quite the same as what you describe.

sean

va

anti, thanks, I overlooked the search capability. What you suggested is useful for determining "shortest run of a given distance". I guess "shortest run of all distances" would be an enhancement. Another idea...allow people to define "custom queries". These, for example, could be put in a user's profile, and be used to customize a the training log home page. This way, if I want to see "shortest run of all distances", I could get it. The same idea could be used for custom graphs...
              To me, a PR is a PR no matter where it was ran. And I've never run a 6, 5, 4, or 3 mile "race" before, so I won't know what my best time for that is unless I search for those runs. I would definitely like this ability in the future.
                Same for me - a PR is a PR whether it is a race or not.
                half mile

my vote is that it stays the way it is. a PR is an official race.
                  jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I think the site is just fine with the current setup. I just put down 'race', even if it isn't one. However, I do think that a "time trial" option that will also populate the PR section is a good idea. And no, I don't believe that a PR can only be set in a race: May 1990. Me. A track. A stopwatch. 4 laps. My buddy running as a rabbit on laps 2 and 3 only. 4:37.4. A race? No. A PR by 5 seconds? Hell yes! Smile

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Slow-smooth-fast

weston, I cannot get over how much you look like Dieter Brummer who used to be on the australian soap Home and Away:

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

While I agree that most PR's are set during races...what about distances that you'll never run in a race? Not trying to get into a fight and this feature isn't huge for me....but I just wanna explain my position. A PR has always meant personal record to me, not "personal record during a race". It just doesn't make sense to me to say that maybe you run a 20:00 minute 5k in practice/training run and then run a 20:10 5k during a race but your PR is still 20:10 when in reality you ran faster than that
                          Eric, Did anything ever come from this? I would also find it helpful to be able to store PRs that are not races. For example, I ran a 4 mile tempo run which is faster than the PR I set for a 4 mile race early this year. Would it be possible to get a checkbox for all runs? <input type="checkbox" />Include as PR I believe this option would suffice both sides. Those who only want races counted don't have to check it. And anyone who does want a non-race PR recorded can check the box. Also, I would say it would default to not checked.

Ryan

eric :)

I haven't given this much thought. I'm focusing on completing the new log. Once I get that thing fnished, I can then focus my attention on these other features. eric :-)